My Protein Story - Maybe it will help you

1dbennet1dbennet Posts: 15Registered Users
I have been natural since Oct 2008. It was not until May 2011 that I realized something was up with my hair. By this time, I had experienced wonderful growth. But the crown of my head was so frizzy and my 4a-4b curls were lifeless. Someone suggested I try a protein treatment, which I did only only once, and everything was great. About the same time, I started to henna once a month. I went in for a trim and was devasted to find out that I needed to get rid of about 3 inches of split, broken, jacked up ends. In the 2 1/2 years of being natural, I was so focused on moisture, I completly ignored my hair's need for protein. I have since realized that I acutally need more protein than most ( imo). I have started to do a PT every 2 weeks along with my henna once a month. I cannot believe the amount of sheding and breakage I have now (virtually none) compared to before. I thought the handfuls of hair I would throw away after detangling was normal. What a waste!! But I guess that is all part of the journey.

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for posting your story. I have type 2 hair, but it loves protein as well.

I guess those of who need it, really, truly need it, huh?

Glad your hair's so much healthier now.
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1dbennet wrote: »
    I have started to do a PT every 2 weeks along with my henna once a month. I cannot believe the amount of sheding and breakage I have now (virtually none) compared to before. I thought the handfuls of hair I would throw away after detangling was normal. What a waste!!

Interesting...
    Lately I've been thinking I'm overdosing on proteins and not getting enough moisture, so I've cut back on using products with proteins and incorporated more moisture. The reason I feel I'm overdosing on proteins is my hair has become very tangly and dry, and I'm shedding (roots intact) like crazy. However, my hair is dry, yet still stretchy, and it's not mushy.

So that's what's weird...In your case where you had the same symptoms, you needed a PT, but in my case, I think I need to cut back on protein and add moisture. However, after reading your post I'm no longer confident my assumption is correct. This hair stuff drives me crazy sometimes.

I will never understand men, and likewise I will never understand my hair. :disgust:
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • demsdatademsdata Posts: 120Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1dbennet wrote: »
    I have been natural since Oct 2008. It was not until May 2011 that I realized something was up with my hair. By this time, I had experienced wonderful growth. But the crown of my head was so frizzy and my 4a-4b curls were lifeless. Someone suggested I try a protein treatment, which I did only only once, and everything was great. About the same time, I started to henna once a month. I went in for a trim and was devasted to find out that I needed to get rid of about 3 inches of split, broken, jacked up ends. In the 2 1/2 years of being natural, I was so focused on moisture, I completly ignored my hair's need for protein. I have since realized that I acutally need more protein than most ( imo). I have started to do a PT every 2 weeks along with my henna once a month. I cannot believe the amount of sheding and breakage I have now (virtually none) compared to before. I thought the handfuls of hair I would throw away after detangling was normal. What a waste!! But I guess that is all part of the journey.

My story was pretty much the same. I didn't even know I had curly hair I had so much frizz and dryness. It was just so rough at first. Then I found protein and my life has joy now! I use protein in everything, which apparently amazes some people. Even now with pretty much no damage whatsoever and my curls just perk up with a good dose of protein. I have little frizz and I may lose perhaps a teaspoon of hair when I detangle every two weeks. The growth is tremendous!

I'm so happy protein found you too! I hope your union is long and prosperous! :)

This pic is after a protein treatment coming out of 6 weeks of kinky twist extensions, just a spritz of my H20, Elucence MBC, coconut oil, and grapeseed oil mix and a shake of my head produced this:
    [FONT=&quot]Hair type: the back and sides have small spiraly curls, the top and front just wave like, "hi! how ya doin?"

Condish: ElucenceMBC, HEHH, my kitchen mixes

Moisturizer: mixed spritz of: H20, aloe vera juice, honey, EVCO, ElucenceMBC

Curl Definer: H20 & a shake, my moisturizer mix.... or aloe vera/flax seed/ic fantsia gel if I'm not being lazy.

Styles: wash-n-go, twists just curl up like my wash-n-go

KinkyKurlyKustard is the DEBIL! The DEBIL![/FONT]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file