CurlTalk

Did going CG loosen your curl pattern??

Happy Monday all! I have been CG now for over a year along with my two young daughters and have noticed that all three of us have lost our spring factor. Used to have ringlets and 3A/3B hair now 2C with bits of 3A. Is this typical? or are we overmoisturizing our hair? should we re-introduce some silicones? any help greatly appreciated!!
2c/3A, low density, medium, normal porosity
CG since August 2010
Low-Poo: varies
Conditoner: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
Stylers: CIAB, Beyond the Zone Spike It Gel, HETT Mousse
Experimenting with: SS CEJ and FHG. DM MCJ, KCCC -loving the gellies! thanks Kathymack!

Comments

• infojunkyinfojunky Posts: 106Registered Users
    I was just about to post this question. I had 3a ringlets, now I have 2c and at the very ends it starts a 3a curl. I kinda miss my 3a curls.
    2c w/ some 3a on the ends
    Length - just below shoulders when wavy
    texture - under layer fine, everything else medium
    According to the articles of how to determen these:
    Porosity- low
    Density - medium

shampoo - clear scalp & hair therapy
    rinse out - clear scalp & hair therapy
    leave in - whatever rinse out I'm using at the time
    gel - kccc
    dt - aussie 3 min miracle

experimenting and open to suggestions!
  • Stormy1958Stormy1958 Posts: 99Registered Users
    When I first determined my hair type, it was 3c/4a, now its more like 3b/3c..

So I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering maybe its just how I'm physically handling my hair when I style it with products... I use to comb but when I switched to finger combing and raking in products I notice I get less shrinkage and fewer knots. Or maybe since it's grown a decent amount, the curls are naturally being stretched by their weight. :dontknow:
    "The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do, and who will be sharing the adventure with them." -Denis Watley

event.png
    *From Training*
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    I haven't been at this long, but so far I haven't noticed anything. I sure hope it doesn't. :-? I like my curl pattern just as it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • debbahdebbah Posts: 48Registered Users
    Been CG for about a month now. I had one product that my curls really liked (Aveda's Be Curly) which has silicone in it so I've had to give it up. Without it I don't have as much fat, juicy curl and instead the curls are smaller and more easily dispersed. I think it's just a matter of trying to find a suitable replacement, not so much that CG itself is making me lose my curl.

Looking for a great, silicone-free curl creator/enhancer - any takers?
    CG since September 2011

Type: 2c/3a
    Texture: medium-ish
    Porosity: normal to low
    Density: THICK!

Co-wash: OC
    Cond/Leave-in: OC
    Style: MOP Curl Defining Cream, Angel, Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    SOTC: MOP Glisten pomade, Aveda Humectant Pomade

Looking for: good curl definition, clumping and no frizz

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmomwhoworks.wordpress.com" class="Popup
  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I was modified CG for almost a year, before I went CG I was like a 3a with some 3b. But then it changed to 2c with a little 3a. I was really disappointed.
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • KlaudieyahhKlaudieyahh Posts: 1Registered Users
    I've been CG since Nov 2008 and I think that my curls are not as tight anymore and I have no idea what could be causing it? Does our hair need a little dryness and damage in order to curl better?
  • Curly_chiliCurly_chili Posts: 9Registered Users
    Hi, your hair looks great! SO does everyone's! Goodness, am I envious

I am new to the CG thing, and am struggling with all the abbreviations being used :)

This was yours:
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / BaSo & ACV
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / GF Trip Nutri / VO5 MM
    Additive: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat
    Leave-In (found a winner!): KCKT
    Stylers: *Homemade FSG* / KCCC / CJ CIAB
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* / *Honey*, EVOO, OncC, & *SAA*

And i was wondering what some of the abbreviations meant?

Thanks so much!
  • wholelottalovewholelottalove Posts: 168Registered Users
    If anything CG introduced me to the 3b I never knew I had. Maybe you should try a PT?
    3a
    medium/thick
    Loves protein and oils

Low-poo: MopTop gentle shampoo
    Co-wash: CJDF, Jessicurl Aloeba
    RO: Jessicurl Too Shea, MopTop daily conditioner, CJ rehab, CJ strengthening
    LI: ^^^
    DT: Jessicurl WDT, SS Deeply Decadent
    PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 min
    Oils: argan, sweet almond, jessicurl oil blend
    Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil
  • curlspeakcurlspeak Posts: 18Registered Users
    I've only been CG for a couple of months. I lost a lot of curl pattern from henna and cg brought it back. But from a novice it sounds to me likethe weight of the conditioner is stretching your curls. they're still there, just weighed down. I'd test it by doing a wash. even if you don't think you have buildup, a low poo or no poo wash works magic. maybe if you do a wash with something other then condish, your curls will pop back.
    after I do a wash with kinky curly come clean I do a deep condish overnight. if I use deva no poo, i don't have to do that. (i'm not sure if deva no poo is cleansing enough)
  • wholelottalovewholelottalove Posts: 168Registered Users
    If anything CG introduced me to the 3b I never knew I had. Maybe you should try a PT?

After a while CG loosened my curls too and made them limp. Just wanted to update.

Sent from my "smart" phone.
    3a
    medium/thick
    Loves protein and oils

Low-poo: MopTop gentle shampoo
    Co-wash: CJDF, Jessicurl Aloeba
    RO: Jessicurl Too Shea, MopTop daily conditioner, CJ rehab, CJ strengthening
    LI: ^^^
    DT: Jessicurl WDT, SS Deeply Decadent
    PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 min
    Oils: argan, sweet almond, jessicurl oil blend
    Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil
  • luvscurlzluvscurlz Posts: 109Registered Users
    The cg method made my curls tighter so I stopped using the method. I like my curls the way they currently are it's easier to detangle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.lenasblend.com
  • BlondeByDesireBlondeByDesire Posts: 40Registered Users
    I'm new to CG going into my third week. My curl pattern thus far has changed in a good way. I'm a 3c - 4a. My curls are more pronounced and tight. I have shrinkage as well but I don't mind that. The definition thus far is working from the ends up to root.
  • taypfloydtaypfloyd Posts: 3Registered Users
    I am not sure if anyone is still on this thread. Fingers crossed! I am having this EXACT issue with my hair. I have been on the CG method for about a year now and my hair is refusing to curl at the roots. It also has gotten more ringlety but flatter, mushier, and straighter at the same time. I have gone back to my old products to see if that is going to help. I have also done a few protein treatments to no avail.

Please send help!
  • Marley72Marley72 Posts: 1Registered Users
    taypfloyd wrote: »
    I am not sure if anyone is still on this thread. Fingers crossed! I am having this EXACT issue with my hair. I have been on the CG method for about a year now and my hair is refusing to curl at the roots. It also has gotten more ringlety but flatter, mushier, and straighter at the same time. I have gone back to my old products to see if that is going to help. I have also done a few protein treatments to no avail.

Please send help!

I used to have the same problem after going CG for about two months. I used to only cowash. After a good old search on this forum i found out i Needed to clarify! I did this with a baking soda and acv rinse and found out i needed to clarify every 2-3 weeks in order to keep my curls poppin!
    It had something to do with the hardness of the water in my area, this seemed to be my savior.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been CG for years and it didn't loosen my curl pattern. I'm mostly 3B with some 3A. It has become more 3A dad I've let it grow longer. If I cut it I'm sure it would pop back up to 3B. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html