CurlTalk

skin cancer, keratoses and sun damage

banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
My husband made me go see a dermatologist who is telling me I have pre cancer spots-keratoses on my face and I have to use this awful carac chemotherapy cream to make them go away. it will make my face get red and itchy and blotchy for 2 weeks. then sunscreen forever. what a drag. I LOVE the sun!!! this sucks but I'm glad I don't have melanoma...could be worse...anyone have experience with this stuff? i am planning to start using it on sept 28--there is a party that weekend but it shouldnt make me ugly for another week or so. many horrendous experiences on the skin cancer sites. another friend just had half her nose and cheek removed bc of skin ca so this is serious s--t....
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not come across such a cream before - a couple of people I work with suffer these and get them somehow frozen off. They have marks for a little while but they fade quickly, would that not be an option for you?
    3b in South Australia.
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    my Dr said that she can only freeze off what she can see. the cream will seek out and find the lesions that are invisible now...
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Accumulated sun damage is no joke, especially among lighter-skinned folks with lighter-colored eyes and hair, although anyone can have this, but the former are far more prone. Sun damage exists at deeper levels of the skin too. You're fortunate to get on this now before it does become much more serious. One way to be scared straight is to see a Visia printout of one's skin which shows what's going on, and will be going on later in life if one doesn't take steps soon to prevent MORE damage. That chemotherapy cream DOES sound heavy-duty - I'm sure your dermatologist had his/her reasons for prescribing. Still, the wearing of a decent facial sunblock IS de rigeur along with a broad-brimmed hat - especially with all the sun you get from hiking. If you don't want to wear sunblock all over, then covering up with tightly-woven fabric is the best thing. Something you can do from the inside although this takes time to take effect and doesn't necessarily replace other sun-protective measures is taking astaxanthin, a very powerful anti-oxidant that has multiple benefits, including that of making skin much more resistant to sun burning and resulting damage, an internal sunscreen if you will. However, it does take several weeks for the astaxanthin to build up in the body to do this, and do do the other stuff that has been suggested for you.
    On the topic of facial sunblocks, although they are universally-recommended by dermatologists, in actuality it is not all that easy to find one that one likes. Chemical sunblocks irritate many sensitive skins(I'm one of these), and often purely physical sunblocks are heavy, greasy, and leave a white cast, which depending on one's skin color can leave on looking like Caspar-the-Friendly-Ghost. Often, one has to spend some money to get a decent one, I've found. My HG one right now, although pricey but lasts a long time since I only use it on face and neck is CosMedix Reflect SPF 30 which I wear daily no matter what the weather. It's a physical block, titanium dioxide with anti-oxidants in it, in spray form. At first when I used this I wonder how this could be protective since it felt so light and in spray form besides. But I've been out whole afternoons in reasonably strong sun and gotten no color. Plus it feels very pleasant and hydrating going on the face and doesn't have any toxic stuff in it - a very nice combo of natural and scientific formulation.
    Anyhow, best of luck with addressing the sun damage. Let us know how the strong cream treatment is going. Likely while your skin is stressed from this, you will have to use very simple, bland products that are soothing and healing - check with your dermatologist about this, but on the natural side, unrefined shea butter is wonderful.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry you have to deal with this, banjo. I know you are a sun worshiper like me, which makes it extra hard to deal with.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users
    Yowza - sending lots of healing good vibes, banjo.

Sent from my iPhone using the CurlTalk app!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    I'm south of the south so just about everybody down here gets skin cancers eventually; they are getting very good at treating them - do what your doctor says, catch it early and treat as much as you can, it will keep you safer longer.

And yeah, get a good hat :)
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    Banjo, sorry you're dealing with this. About a year ago this same thing happened to me. Now I will be seeing the dermatologist every six months for the rest of my life. But remember, sunscreen was just invented in the 80's. I know I've had some really bad sunburns in all that time, so I figured it was bound to happen. Hang in there. Keep your appointments, as new spots will keep popping up. And be glad it was caught early.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
    thanks all of you for your support. so i started the carac cream on 9/29 so this is about day 5-6. the first 3 days it was no problem, now i am starting to look blotchy. the cream is very drying and i really hate it. my skin feels dry and hot. i am using my fave cream, burts bees carrot night cream after i wake up in the AM after the cream soaks in all night. i also hate having to wear a hat and sunblock. however, a friend just lost half her face and another friend had breast CA so i am very grateful that this is all i have right now. i am taking pictures but cannot face them until i am done with this and back to normal. i am used to being chunky and having an imperfect body but i am NOT used to having a damaged looking face. luckily my husband and my dogs think i am gorgeous :)
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,095Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    the hot and dry sound really tough -- i'm guessing it causes sleep loss. good that you can put your own soothing creme on it in the a.m.
    you are right, as bad as this is.... my cousin had a basal spot removed from her face by a local dr a few years back. apparently he did not get clean borders and she went to sloan where they had to remove 1/4 of her face skin -- she had a combo of plastic surgery and some of her own skin replacing it -- was off from work for 6 months as she had many dr appts. now she is totally fine, does wear sunblock and sunhat when out in the sun. however, you can tell there is something a little 'off' with her face as the sides don't match up 100%. so, while it was not life threatening, it was major.
    i think with anything like this you know the transition period is not going to be easy so you kind of detach and just get through it, knowing the time will pass and you will have accomplished something major. on the plus side and not to make light of it at all, but sometimes you need to find the silver lining, i wonder if this will be like those skin abrasions that make you look soooo much younger!
    pamper yourself while you go through this and keep us posted.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • want2bcurlywant2bcurly Posts: 97Registered Users
    this sounds similiar to what we do where i work for pre cancer cells,ak's bcc,scc,. they are called pulse peels. the este's put a chemo creme(efudex) on with a glycolic acid. 10 x 1 day a week for 10 weeks. we get probably 5 to 10 a day. but it works.it brings out the pre cancer cells and peels them away.
    at first many clients get very dry skin, some itch, redness. but that usually goes away and can be controlled with a heavy cream. but as i said , it is worth it. it is so much better than the alternative. bearwith it:)
    p. s we also do a blue light treatment that is stronger, a cream put on for an hour, then under a light. now that is some major peeling, redness,irritation. but the upside to that treatment is it is only 1 to 2 times total.
    thanks! yes carac is the same as efudex. i use it overnight for 2 weeks every day, i am in mid cycle now and it is UGLY. also my eyes water and are a bit irritated. only 1 week left if i live thru it...

this sounds similiar to what we do where i work for pre cancer cells,ak's bcc,scc,. they are called pulse peels. the este's put a chemo creme(efudex) on with a glycolic acid. 10 x 1 day a week for 10 weeks. we get probably 5 to 10 a day. but it works.it brings out the pre cancer cells and peels them away.
    at first many clients get very dry skin, some itch, redness. but that usually goes away and can be controlled with a heavy cream. but as i said , it is worth it. it is so much better than the alternative. bearwith it:)
    p. s we also do a blue light treatment that is stronger, a cream put on for an hour, then under a light. now that is some major peeling, redness,irritation. but the upside to that treatment is it is only 1 to 2 times total.
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    Hi banjocurl - so glad to know you're hanging in there with that tough skin treatment! It must be just a few more days now before this cycle is over. Will you have to do this more than once, or is one such treatment enough? I would think that if you have to do this again the dermatologist would have you doing very soothing, very rich therapeutic creams to restore your skin's barrier that has been under such assault. Over the counter, CeraVe Cream is very good, but the same pharmaceutical company makes the prescription version of a barrier repair product which is what you might need after this. Again, best of luck - I'm sure by the time your skin settles down and heals, you'll look great! So sorry to hear about your friends' troubles - there's nothing like that to make one thankful for only having one's own situation.
    thanks so much --well i am using this diabeticae skin balm which is organic and feels really good.
    Diabeticae, Organic Diabetic Skin Care - By Brigit True Organics
    only 4 more nights w the cream-im on day 10. my dr thinks just one tx will be ok but we will see when i go thurs morning. i feel like a teenager with awful zits plus having to wear a sunvisor and sunscreen when i hike which i will continue of course... here is a pic....i keep saying temporary....
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    Nobody will notice those 'zits' with that gorgeous hair filling their eyeballs! : )
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    hey jeep that is so sweet :) i just had an ANA cut at devachan...she's amazing. you look fabulous-- love your avatar!!
    @cara i will check out cerave--here are the ingredients--is it cool with the petrolatum and dimethicone on the face?? i know i avoid it on the hair but not sure re face...

Water (Purified), Glycerin, Ceteareth 20, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Methylsulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phytosphingosine, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    Thanks banjo! We are just 2 hot old ladies! : )
    Hi banjocurl!
    Actually, petrolatum is one of the gentlest ingredients on the face, and as far as dimethicone goes, it's YMMV for some people. Some people swear any 'cones clog their skin, others are fine with them.
    Again hang in there - you're almost done unless that doc decides you need to do this again. At least this awful period is temporary and your skin will heal - hope this helps. Sounds like you're doing the right thing with a soothing cream too - I'm sure it must feel like a relief under such circumstances from the treatment cream.
    thanks so much you guys. i will try to get some of the cerave at cvs i think they have it there. i dread putting the cream on at night so i've been staying up too late...well at least my new haircut made me happy. actually my life is good and i don't think about my face too much while i am hiking since i am wearing the visor and sunglasses, not so obvious....
    this might be the slowest 2 weeks ever...
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    banjo - Your new hair cut is gorgeous! And your skin will look so much better and be so much healthier very soon. Good luck getting through this treatment phase....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

thanks so much--LAST NIGHT for putting on the cream and hopefully healing process will start tomorrow...might go to a store with a makeup artist..yikes!! been hiking and swimming every day and it never really hurt so i am lucky. will keep u updated...really appreciate your support...
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    Almost there banjo! Hopefully that doc will let you go without doing yet another cycle right now. As far as the makeup artist, I'd hold off until you've healed up your skin - makeup on compromised skin can be very irritating. However, if the dermatologist clears you for some very gentle makeup, look into very pure minerals - do ask also. Although I my skin personally didn't react well to Jane Iredale mineral makeup, there are plastic surgeons who recommend this post-procedure. Best of luck tomorrow at your appointment and let us know.
    10/13/11
    2 weeks of carac has turned my face into looking like a beatup prizefighter with bad acne. Now the healing process begins…i have never looked forward to a Dr appt so much in my life!!
    Receptionist: has anything changed since you were last here
    Me: just my face
    Nurse: oh my
    Me: is this typical?
    Nurse: yes you look like a carac victim
    Me: I heard online some drs make their pts do this for 4 weeks-I couldn’t bear it
    Nurse: only if there is not enough of a reaction. Don’t worry you are DONE
    Me: u mean cooked?
    Nurse: yes well done
    Dr: look at all the sun damage, its lucky we caught it
    me: yeah my friend had her cheek and nose cut off
    Dr: lucky it is not cancer but pre cancerous lesions. some say that they are actually non invasive squamous cell carcinomas. we will give u some mupirocin ointment to prevent secondary infection
    Me: what?????
    Dr: sometimes these crusts bleed and open up and get infected. So far you are ok you just need to stay out of the sun
    Me: I hike every day. I will use sunblock and a visor tho. And I swim
    Dr: use the mineral sunblock and don’t swim from 10-2.:tongue5:
    I want to see you in a month, then we can see if there are any more keratoses
    Me: not carac again PLEASE
    Dr: no we’ll just freeze them if we find any

So he recommended aquaphor. He does not like creams w vit E bc some are allergic. He said like cara pointed out that petrolatum is very neutral on the skin and soothing. So I’ve got my aquaphor and my cerave and my mupirocin. So excited about going to bed with a nice greasy face again!!

Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    Ya-ay banjo - you came through - awesome! Sounds like you're being well-taken care of, and now it's time to get that skin healed up. You're armed with good stuff too between the prescription stuff to avoid infection and the soothing healing Aquaphor(which is also very popular post-procedures of various sorts)and skin barrier-restoring CeraVe cream. Your skin will just say a big "Yes!" to the soothing stuff. The mineral sunblock is a really good idea, not only for the sunblocking that you must now do(along with the hat and avoiding sun in the peak hours of the day)but for the format. Mineral sunblocks are especially good for sensitive skin of any sort, including those which are recovering from various assaults. They're also very photostable in that the protection lasts a long time after applying, unlike many chemical sunblocks. But if in any doubt, re-apply!
    So glad to hear you came through this, and wishing you the best of luck in the healing up phase. I'll bet in another couple of weeks or so you will see a big improvement over how things are right now!
    thanks cara..today is a bit better than yesterday, so i expect a couple weeks then i should look passable again...maybe then i can post the really awful pictures but now i am too close to it...there is no way tho that i wont be in the sun, i will just have to keep up w the sunblock and visors, and forget about caribbean vacations and the beach :(
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    so it is about 12 days after stopping the carac and my face is almost back to normal--yay! just a bit of spottiness here and there but the aquaphor and mupriocin have healed all the rawness and i look reasonable now. ok now about those 40 pounds...:tongue6:
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    Glad to hear you're sort of normal! : )

Leave a Comment