Transitioning Teen: Should I Big Chop Now Or Later ?

Aerogirl530Aerogirl530 Posts: 135Registered Users
I'm 11 months post relaxer, and have new growth about 2 inches long, i wanna big chop, the thing is, i'm only 12 years old and if i ask my mom i'm not sure what she will say if she tells me i cant or stuff like that ? i need advice on how to tell my mom ?

Comments

• IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Posts: 784Registered Users
    At 11 months post relaxer you should have more than 2inches of new growth. Maybe you're just having a hard time seeing where your old hair stops and your new growth begins.

A far as telling your mom, just tell her that you're ready to be dully natural and want to get rid of your relaxed ends. If she says no, compromise and maybe try a mini chop and get rid of about half of the relaxed hair. Good luck!
  • YansaYansa Posts: 60Registered Users
    I don't think you can "tell" your Mom. She's in charge. But maybe if you start talking to her about wanting to be fully natural, you may persuade her. :). Show her how serious you are by staying the course no matter what, and if she says no, don't let that discourage you! Your age is an advantage in that there are hairstyles you can wear that wouldn't be as appropriate all the time if you were older. You don't have to worry about anything but going to school and maintaining a neat, clean appearance. If Mom isn't 100% on board now, once she sees how disciplined you are, she may loosen the reins a bit. :) Good luck!
  • Aerogirl530Aerogirl530 Posts: 135Registered Users
    At 11 months post relaxer you should have more than 2inches of new growth. Maybe you're just having a hard time seeing where your old hair stops and your new growth begins.

A far as telling your mom, just tell her that you're ready to be dully natural and want to get rid of your relaxed ends. If she says no, compromise and maybe try a mini chop and get rid of about half of the relaxed hair. Good luck!
    well for starters, my hair may grow at a different rate then yours, so maybe u may have more new growth then i would at 11 months, and my assumptions may not be accurate but its close enough, its between 2-4 inches long, the back is longer than the front and i only measured the front so maybe ill measure the back, and second, thank you, and i hope you that u do well with your transition too :)
  • Aerogirl530Aerogirl530 Posts: 135Registered Users
    Yansa wrote: »
    I don't think you can "tell" your Mom. She's in charge. But maybe if you start talking to her about wanting to be fully natural, you may persuade her. :). Show her how serious you are by staying the course no matter what, and if she says no, don't let that discourage you! Your age is an advantage in that there are hairstyles you can wear that wouldn't be as appropriate all the time if you were older. You don't have to worry about anything but going to school and maintaining a neat, clean appearance. If Mom isn't 100% on board now, once she sees how disciplined you are, she may loosen the reins a bit. :) Good luck!
    Thank you ! i will definitely try that, i think she''ll be ok with it tho

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file