Vatika coconut hair oil

braidsntwistsbraidsntwists Posts: 197Registered Users
Hi everyone,

I've just bought this hair oil and arrived today.

Has anyone used this oil while transitioning? I've never tried it before. What are your experiences with it?

Thanks in advance.
3b 3c 4a low/medium porosity on roots&middle,and porous on ends, fine/medium strands.

Use cones in Winter. CG in the summer.

Comments

• RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    I love it. I use it for everything. As a pre-poo, sealer and even on my scalp and it's been like a miracle. I used to have horrible scalp issues and they have disappeared since I started using this. It leaves your hair sooooo soft.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • braidsntwistsbraidsntwists Posts: 197Registered Users
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    I love it. I use it for everything. As a pre-poo, sealer and even on my scalp and it's been like a miracle. I used to have horrible scalp issues and they have disappeared since I started using this. It leaves your hair sooooo soft.

Hi rusycurly, I will try it tonight. I need to do something as my scalp issues are so annoying.
    3b 3c 4a low/medium porosity on roots&middle,and porous on ends, fine/medium strands.

• RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    You will not be dissappointed. As soon as I started putting this on my scalp after washing my hair those problems went away. Let me know how it works for you.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • naturalgirl85naturalgirl85 Posts: 53Registered Users
    I have never used it but have heard good things about it. Let us know how it works for you. I have also thought about purchasing it for myself but they don't sell it on curlmart and wasn't sure where you could get it from.
  • secret_karmasecret_karma Posts: 438Registered Users
    Rusycurly wrote: »

Same. Its a really good oil. The smell is a little different but not too bad. I used it for oil rinses too.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using CurlTalk App
  • Chantia7Chantia7 Posts: 1Registered Users
    You can purchase it from Butter and Bars under ayuverda products. If you have a local Indian grocery store you can buy the bottle much cheaper. I buy a bottle at $1.29 a bottle, online is a decent price, but you can buy like 6 bottles at that price.
    Thank you for the encouragement, Ladies. I tried it on my hair on Saturday and washed it out yesterday. I washed my hair in twists and after it dried overnight...I'm so pleased with the result. My twist out this morning was the bomb and it has stayed without any stylers and no frizz. It made my curls more defined. I have a few curls at the front and nape of my neck mixed with waves all over. The parts where it was just wavy before are now tighter and more defined. The tighter coils around my edges are more controlled. I don't have a clue what my hair type is yet. The strands didn't feel so rough when I was just using a leave in and seal with olive oil on damp hair. My hair is shining, looks so much healthier and stronger. I just used the same oil to seal but not alot. It's only the relaxed ends spoiling my twist out. Maybe I should start cutting the relaxed ends off soon. It will probably be about December time though.

• ohtashohtash Posts: 90Registered Users
    My mom finally got this oil for me last night on her way to work. I just put it in my hair about 30mins ago. I needed some more coconut oil and I heard about this so I said why not. I won't be able to give a real review on if it's gonna leave my hair soft because I have box braids but I do know my scalp will reap the benefits. My mom also picked up their deep conditioner. Can't wait to use it (even though that won't be until December)

The smell reminds me of ginger crackers from Antigua. If you're West Indian, and I you eat ginger crackers from back home, that's exactly what this oil smells like. I told my mom to get me another bottle because my hair drinks up oil like there's no tomorrow!
  • UmphUmph Posts: 83Registered Users
    I recently tried Dabur Vatika Oil and so far so good! Just plain EVCO kinda fried my hair and made my scalp feel itchy/dry (even though it was well oiled). So far so good with Vatika oil; my scalp felt calm. I read somewhere that Vatika Oil can cause your hair to darken, has anyone else heard this? I'm all for the darkening because the grays are appearing. I was a little shocked at first when I couldn't get the oil out of the bottle... I had to remember that it is coconut oil and true coconut oil is in solid form. I just assumed (with that the shape of the bottle) the oil was in liquid form. Silly me. If my scalp likes a product it is usually a keeper.
    JULY 2010 FROM STRAIGHT TO KINKY :toothy4:
    doing my own thing... the mention of salon's make me :puker:
    Jamila brand HENNA IS MY NEW LOVE! :D
    CO, Elucene brand moisturizing shampoo/ moisturizing conditioners, AVJ/ACV rinses are in my arsenal of staple products. My hair DOES like silicones... Organix Argan Oil is a keeper.
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Posts: 236Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Similar to Umph, I'm curious about the color effects this has on the hair. I first heard about this oil many months ago but I think I read that the henna in the oil will redden the hair over time, which is not a look that particularly appeals to me and was the only factor that stopped me from purchasing it immediately. Darkening of the hair, I might be able to tolerate but as a curly with ligth brown & blond highlights, I'm concerned particularly about the effect on my highlights. Also, does anyone know if there is a non-henna version of this oil available?

For folks who don't have a local indian store or BSS that sells this, you can actually purchase it at amazon.com, if all else fails (2-pk of 150ml bottles for $4.99) there are other places you can purchase in the cloud as well.
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
    I like this oil- it's my best oil purchase since dissing the perm a year ago. My ends actually curl when in twist. Throughout the day my hair stays moisturized, not just oily by soft. EVCO as mentioned before oiled my hair/scalp but my hair would tend to be brittle & dry feeling (especially in summer months). I then switched to jojoba oil, now that is a really good oil, light and really has no fragrance. The price tag is a bit more steep than both EVCO & Vatika oils. It didn't fry my hair but my hair drank this oil like crazy! My new oil fav, vatika is keeps my hair soft throughout the day, and keeps my scalp sane. This oil coats my strands well and a little goes a long way. I may stop my search for oils if vatika continues to love my hair. As for the henna, if my grays hilight to a red hue I WELCOME IT!
    CO, Elucene brand moisturizing shampoo/ moisturizing conditioners, AVJ/ACV rinses are in my arsenal of staple products. My hair DOES like silicones... Organix Argan Oil is a keeper.
  • EmbracingMeEmbracingMe Posts: 6Registered Users
    Stopped by an Indian/Asian store and while looking for some powders, I kinda stumbled upon this oil. I picked up the 300ml bottle since at $4 it is cheaper then EVCO with some of the same herbs I was looking for to boot. I am planning to use it as both a pre shampoo treatment and scalp oil/sealer afterward. The smell reminds me of a pastry I used to eat when I was younger. I hope my hair likes it. :bounce:
    ohtash wrote: »
    My mom finally got this oil for me last night on her way to work. I just put it in my hair about 30mins ago. I needed some more coconut oil and I heard about this so I said why not. I won't be able to give a real review on if it's gonna leave my hair soft because I have box braids but I do know my scalp will reap the benefits. My mom also picked up their deep conditioner. Can't wait to use it (even though that won't be until December)

The smell reminds me of ginger crackers from Antigua. If you're West Indian, and I you eat ginger crackers from back home, that's exactly what this oil smells like. I told my mom to get me another bottle because my hair drinks up oil like there's no tomorrow!

I know, I love the smell of ginger crackers that's why I use it as a sealer as well as a pre poo. My hair and scalp loves this oil. I haven't tried their shampoo or conditioner yet. I'm use the body shop moisture shampoo and conditioner which has no cones, sulphates, and parabens. It works well with the oil so I think I will stick to the same for now.

Umph and NYCGirl, I haven't experienced it myself. I didn't have to put it in water to get the oil out of the bottle. I've only started using it recently. Only time will tell. I don't think it's supposed to change the colour of your hair though. I'm going to try Lush henna bar to dye my hair after I've got rid of the relaxed ends.

Stopped by an Indian/Asian store and while looking for some powders, I kinda stumbled upon this oil. I picked up the 300ml bottle since at $4 it is cheaper then EVCO with some of the same herbs I was looking for to boot. I am planning to use it as both a pre shampoo treatment and scalp oil/sealer afterward. The smell reminds me of a pastry I used to eat when I was younger. I hope my hair likes it. :bounce:

Oh man, I used as a pre shampoo treatment and my hair & scalp said ahhhh. I well oiled my scalp, covered w/plastic cap over night. When rinsed the next day my hair and scalp were both moisturized... after using clarifying shampoo. I am loving this oil.
    Umph and NYCGirl, I haven't experienced it myself. I didn't have to put it in water to get the oil out of the bottle. I've only started using it recently. Only time will tell. I don't think it's supposed to change the colour of your hair though. I'm going to try Lush henna bar to dye my hair after I've got rid of the relaxed ends.
    I now place the bottle in the shower, at end of the shower the oil is liquid form. It seals my ends really well; I still want to purchase castor oil for my edges though, I hear great things about castor oil and the hairline.
    I want to try castor oil. I'm afraid that it will be too heavy for my hair to seal though. I could use it as a pre poo with vatika oil together.

• Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    NYCgirl wrote: »
    Similar to Umph, I'm curious about the color effects this has on the hair. I first heard about this oil many months ago but I think I read that the henna in the oil will redden the hair over time, which is not a look that particularly appeals to me and was the only factor that stopped me from purchasing it immediately. Darkening of the hair, I might be able to tolerate but as a curly with ligth brown & blond highlights, I'm concerned particularly about the effect on my highlights. Also, does anyone know if there is a non-henna version of this oil available?

For folks who don't have a local indian store or BSS that sells this, you can actually purchase it at amazon.com, if all else fails (2-pk of 150ml bottles for $4.99) there are other places you can purchase in the cloud as well.

Hi, NYC Girl, [from one NYer to another:hello1:]...

I agree...I am "challenged" by the henna as well.

Years ago when I went to get my hair dyed honey brown, it came out more of a copper. The stylist said that was due to the base color of my hair being "red". Due to this, I wonder what henna would do to my hair. Please let me know if you get any info.
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • coeurdepierrcoeurdepierr Posts: 2Registered Users
    Most of my hair is still relaxed but both my textures love Vatika! it turns solid easily so i usually pop it in the microwave from time to time. It's amazing.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I never heard of the oil changing your hair colour over time.

Lots of products have henna in them but they don't change your hair colour due to the strength of the henna in the product.

Also you can do henna conditioning treatments and your hair will not change colour.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file