CurlTalk

Going Natural being fad and becoming mainstream?

hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
I was recently reading articles online about natural hair and transitioning becoming more popular in today's society. One article I read said sales in relaxers have declined since 2007. I also noticed big black haircare brands like Design Essentials, KeraCare, Minzani, Cream of Nature, etc are creating new products to keep up with new independently own Natural/Organic haircare brands. A lot of Black haircare veteran companies are either making products to cater to those with curls/coils/kinks, using better ingredients, or creating natural products all together to compete. I don't think natural hair is a fad because as multicultural people, many of us aren't born with straight hair. Many of us are driven to return to our natural texture/color for different reasons. I know the Economy and people's busy work schedules plays a huge role in people transitioning to natural hair. As for natural hair becoming mainstream, I think more women and men are paying close attention to what they use on their hair and how they care for it. I know women that have transitioned because they simply wanted to. But the act of one person transitioning can inspire others to do the same. I do think people not just Blacks are learning to accept their natural beauty and taking the time out how to care for curly/ethnic hair. What are your thoughts?
Products I'm currently :love10::
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
  • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
  • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:

Comments

  • IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Posts: 784Registered Users
    I was actually just thinking about this recently. I do think natural hair is becoming a fad. I feel like I'm seeing many more black women on TV with natural hair.
    Perhaps I'm wrong and it is not a fad and society is just opening it's mind to what beauty really is, but either way I think it is a good thing.
  • MaraloveMaralove Posts: 69Registered Users
    I was actually just thinking about this recently. I do think natural hair is becoming a fad. I feel like I'm seeing many more black women on TV with natural hair.
    Perhaps I'm wrong and it is not a fad and society is just opening it's mind to what beauty really is, but either way I think it is a good thing.
    The TV part-exactement! I was talking to my mom about that earlier.


    Sent from my M860 using CurlTalk App
    My hair tends to love: honey, oils, water, ceramides, dye ;)
    4s/3s kinks and curls. CG, Coarse and medium strands, Low and normal porosity, High Density.
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I agree with the TV aspect! I think the big media watch dogs are keeping a close eye on who's buying what. Products that are made for Black/Ethnic hair sales are decline. I think they're trying to place more curly/coiled/kinky hair ladies in commercials to up the sales in big Black Hair Care brands like Creme of Nature that didn't exactly make products that cater to natural hair at first. I think the media is trying to milk the system of the new wave of women going natural. With celebs all of a sudden showing their natural locks and promoting hair care brands, it's easier to influence mainstream society of women to go natural. I also think the abundance of hair products geared towards textured hair would cause someone to at least think about going natural when they walk down the ethnic hair care isle in Target. I see it though old brands like Organic Root Stimulator, Pink hair lotion, S curl, Blue Magic, Dax, etc all sit on the shelve and drug stores don't even restock on these products often because of declining sales. Relaxer boxes sit on the shelves untouched in neat rows. I think companies are jumping on the natural hair care wagon because that's where money is being invested in right now in the Black hair care industry. I think it does benefits women of color fad or not because there's more information and products available for women to have healthier hair. Smaller black hair brands I think would eventually suffer once "natural" hair products become readily available to women in local beauty supply stores/drug stores. Brands that have been established and rooted and well known probably would survive like Carol's Daughters.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    I agree with the TV aspect! I think the big media watch dogs are keeping a close eye on who's buying what. Products that are made for Black/Ethnic hair sales are decline. I think they're trying to place more curly/coiled/kinky hair ladies in commercials to up the sales in big Black Hair Care brands like Creme of Nature that didn't exactly make products that cater to natural hair at first. I think the media is trying to milk the system of the new wave of women going natural. With celebs all of a sudden showing their natural locks and promoting hair care brands, it's easier to influence mainstream society of women to go natural. I also think the abundance of hair products geared towards textured hair would cause someone to at least think about going natural when they walk down the ethnic hair care isle in Target. I see it though old brands like Organic Root Stimulator, Pink hair lotion, S curl, Blue Magic, Dax, etc all sit on the shelve and drug stores don't even restock on these products often because of declining sales. Relaxer boxes sit on the shelves untouched in neat rows. I think companies are jumping on the natural hair care wagon because that's where money is being invested in right now in the Black hair care industry. I think it does benefits women of color fad or not because there's more information and products available for women to have healthier hair. Smaller black hair brands I think would eventually suffer once "natural" hair products become readily available to women in local beauty supply stores/drug stores. Brands that have been established and rooted and well known probably would survive like Carol's Daughters.

    Nope. I don't think so.

    There will always be a market for indie businesses. If you look at what the big brands are offering, it's the same thing as always, just dressed up for curly hair (e.g., black woman with an afro on bottle). There is nothing different they are doing except not using mineral oil (maybe) and not putting silicones (again, maybe).

    I can bet that Darcy's, Oyin, QB and all the other afro type brands will still get business. There is something that indie businesses offer that big companies cannot.

    Curly hair products from big companies have been around. We use these brands all the time, just some folks are now getting to notice.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    I agree with the TV aspect! I think the big media watch dogs are keeping a close eye on who's buying what. Products that are made for Black/Ethnic hair sales are decline. I think they're trying to place more curly/coiled/kinky hair ladies in commercials to up the sales in big Black Hair Care brands like Creme of Nature that didn't exactly make products that cater to natural hair at first. I think the media is trying to milk the system of the new wave of women going natural. With celebs all of a sudden showing their natural locks and promoting hair care brands, it's easier to influence mainstream society of women to go natural. I also think the abundance of hair products geared towards textured hair would cause someone to at least think about going natural when they walk down the ethnic hair care isle in Target. I see it though old brands like Organic Root Stimulator, Pink hair lotion, S curl, Blue Magic, Dax, etc all sit on the shelve and drug stores don't even restock on these products often because of declining sales. Relaxer boxes sit on the shelves untouched in neat rows. I think companies are jumping on the natural hair care wagon because that's where money is being invested in right now in the Black hair care industry. I think it does benefits women of color fad or not because there's more information and products available for women to have healthier hair. Smaller black hair brands I think would eventually suffer once "natural" hair products become readily available to women in local beauty supply stores/drug stores. Brands that have been established and rooted and well known probably would survive like Carol's Daughters.

    Nope. I don't think so.

    There will always be a market for indie businesses. If you look at what the big brands are offering, it's the same thing as always, just dressed up for curly hair (e.g., black woman with an afro on bottle). There is nothing different they are doing except not using mineral oil (maybe) and not putting silicones (again, maybe).

    I can bet that Darcy's, Oyin, QB and all the other afro type brands will still get business. There is something that indie businesses offer that big companies cannot.

    Curly hair products from big companies have been around. We use these brands all the time, just some folks are now getting to notice.

    I agree with you I didn't say Independent brands won't survive. I meant bigger business would try to put them out of business. If they make similar products mirroring the smaller brands (like what Sally's did to Mixed Chicks). and lower the price, a lot of people would opt to buy. There will always be people starting their own business and getting customers appreciating their brand. I know growing up, there weren't brands like Kinky Curly, Miss Jessie's and Curls. I do think with more independently owned products for textured tresses plays. huge role in why more women now are leaning towards transitioning or wearing their hair in it's natural state.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    coilynapp wrote: »
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    I agree with the TV aspect! I think the big media watch dogs are keeping a close eye on who's buying what. Products that are made for Black/Ethnic hair sales are decline. I think they're trying to place more curly/coiled/kinky hair ladies in commercials to up the sales in big Black Hair Care brands like Creme of Nature that didn't exactly make products that cater to natural hair at first. I think the media is trying to milk the system of the new wave of women going natural. With celebs all of a sudden showing their natural locks and promoting hair care brands, it's easier to influence mainstream society of women to go natural. I also think the abundance of hair products geared towards textured hair would cause someone to at least think about going natural when they walk down the ethnic hair care isle in Target. I see it though old brands like Organic Root Stimulator, Pink hair lotion, S curl, Blue Magic, Dax, etc all sit on the shelve and drug stores don't even restock on these products often because of declining sales. Relaxer boxes sit on the shelves untouched in neat rows. I think companies are jumping on the natural hair care wagon because that's where money is being invested in right now in the Black hair care industry. I think it does benefits women of color fad or not because there's more information and products available for women to have healthier hair. Smaller black hair brands I think would eventually suffer once "natural" hair products become readily available to women in local beauty supply stores/drug stores. Brands that have been established and rooted and well known probably would survive like Carol's Daughters.

    Nope. I don't think so.

    There will always be a market for indie businesses. If you look at what the big brands are offering, it's the same thing as always, just dressed up for curly hair (e.g., black woman with an afro on bottle). There is nothing different they are doing except not using mineral oil (maybe) and not putting silicones (again, maybe).

    I can bet that Darcy's, Oyin, QB and all the other afro type brands will still get business. There is something that indie businesses offer that big companies cannot.

    Curly hair products from big companies have been around. We use these brands all the time, just some folks are now getting to notice.

    I agree with you I didn't say Independent brands won't survive. I meant bigger business would try to put them out of business. If they make similar products mirroring the smaller brands (like what Sally's did to Mixed Chicks). and lower the price, a lot of people would opt to buy. There will always be people starting their own business and getting customers appreciating their brand. I know growing up, there weren't brands like Kinky Curly, Miss Jessie's and Curls. I do think with more independently owned products for textured tresses plays. huge role in why more women now are leaning towards transitioning or wearing their hair in it's natural state.

    Big companies are always trying to oust smaller ones. That's not new. It's happening now in the indie body and hair care industry.


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    coilynapp wrote: »

    Nope. I don't think so.

    There will always be a market for indie businesses. If you look at what the big brands are offering, it's the same thing as always, just dressed up for curly hair (e.g., black woman with an afro on bottle). There is nothing different they are doing except not using mineral oil (maybe) and not putting silicones (again, maybe).

    I can bet that Darcy's, Oyin, QB and all the other afro type brands will still get business. There is something that indie businesses offer that big companies cannot.

    Curly hair products from big companies have been around. We use these brands all the time, just some folks are now getting to notice.

    I agree with you I didn't say Independent brands won't survive. I meant bigger business would try to put them out of business. If they make similar products mirroring the smaller brands (like what Sally's did to Mixed Chicks). and lower the price, a lot of people would opt to buy. There will always be people starting their own business and getting customers appreciating their brand. I know growing up, there weren't brands like Kinky Curly, Miss Jessie's and Curls. I do think with more independently owned products for textured tresses plays. huge role in why more women now are leaning towards transitioning or wearing their hair in it's natural state.

    Big companies are always trying to oust smaller ones. That's not new. It's happening now in the indie body and hair care industry.


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

    I know like The Body Shop has a couple of their products selling at Sephora now because they aren't selling in their own.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    coilynapp wrote: »
    hippiedoll wrote: »

    I agree with you I didn't say Independent brands won't survive. I meant bigger business would try to put them out of business. If they make similar products mirroring the smaller brands (like what Sally's did to Mixed Chicks). and lower the price, a lot of people would opt to buy. There will always be people starting their own business and getting customers appreciating their brand. I know growing up, there weren't brands like Kinky Curly, Miss Jessie's and Curls. I do think with more independently owned products for textured tresses plays. huge role in why more women now are leaning towards transitioning or wearing their hair in it's natural state.

    Big companies are always trying to oust smaller ones. That's not new. It's happening now in the indie body and hair care industry.


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

    I know like The Body Shop has a couple of their products selling at Sephora now because they aren't selling on their own.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • KeranKeran Posts: 17Registered Users
    In addition to TV, I'm seeing a lot of naturals in magazines,sales ads, inside store billboards like Target and Kohls. Every time I see them. I have to stop and just look. Its so beautiful.

    Going natural for me isnt a fad nor was it about money. But a choice. Although I loved having someone else doing my hair. I got tired of going to the salon every week. This wasn't my first time going natural. But my first time deciding to transition instead of a twa. I feel so free.
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    Has anyone noticed the decline in the amount of relaxers on the shelves of stores?
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • LaBeauteBoucleLaBeauteBoucle Posts: 92Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the decline in the amount of relaxers on the shelves of stores?

    I wish I could say I have but nope. Maybe it's cuz nobody's buying them as much that they're there but I doubt it. All I know is that I was in the black hair store (run by white folks lol) yesterday and a whole row was dedicated to just them. There was also a lot of women with broken off, over-relaxed hair heading for the weave section, sending glares while I whished my natural twist out. I just laughed to my bff and KIM :tongue1:
    ~MBL curly w/ mostly 4a with a patches of 4b in the front and lil 3c sprinkled in the back~

    -I like my men like I love my hair... kinky :afro:

    Co-Wash: VO5 Anti-Breakage Conditioner and VO5 Strengthening Conditoner
    Rinse-Out: Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave-in: Suave Naturals Conditioner
    Moisturizer: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Cream
    Styler: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel
    Sealing Oil: Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil
    DC: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the decline in the amount of relaxers on the shelves of stores?

    I wish I could say I have but nope. Maybe it's cuz nobody's buying them as much that they're there but I doubt it. All I know is that I was in the black hair store (run by white folks lol) yesterday and a whole row was dedicated to just them. There was also a lot of women with broken off, over-relaxed hair heading for the weave section, sending glares while I whished my natural twist out. I just laughed to my bff and KIM :tongue1:

    I agree weave sales have increased. I haven't been in a black beauty supply store in years so I'm not shocked if they keep relaxers heavily stocked. In drug stores there's usually 2-4 on the shelves every time I go.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the decline in the amount of relaxers on the shelves of stores?

    I wish I could say I have but nope. Maybe it's cuz nobody's buying them as much that they're there but I doubt it. All I know is that I was in the black hair store (run by white folks lol) yesterday and a whole row was dedicated to just them. There was also a lot of women with broken off, over-relaxed hair heading for the weave section, sending glares while I whished my natural twist out. I just laughed to my bff and KIM :tongue1:

    I agree weave sales have increased. I haven't been in a black beauty supply store in years so I'm not shocked if they keep relaxers heavily stocked. In drug stores there's usually 2-4 on the shelves every time I go.


    I've noticed that in my local drug stores as well. Then again I do live in a predominately white area so that may have something to do with it as well...I mean why keep stocking if the little that were selling are not anymore? As far as the local BSS the shelves are ALWAYS full of relaxers but everytime I go in (which is about once sometimes twice a month...I do have to stock up on my raw shea butter yall! Lol) I never see anyone buying any.

    I do however see the lace fronts, wigs, quick weaves and extensions moving like hot cakes & its always women with broken, thin and damaged hair buying it all. I'm sooooo glad I'm over the perms because I feel so bad seeing peoples scalps bc of relaxer damage all the damn time!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)


    Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's



    event.png


    event.png
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »

    I wish I could say I have but nope. Maybe it's cuz nobody's buying them as much that they're there but I doubt it. All I know is that I was in the black hair store (run by white folks lol) yesterday and a whole row was dedicated to just them. There was also a lot of women with broken off, over-relaxed hair heading for the weave section, sending glares while I whished my natural twist out. I just laughed to my bff and KIM :tongue1:

    I agree weave sales have increased. I haven't been in a black beauty supply store in years so I'm not shocked if they keep relaxers heavily stocked. In drug stores there's usually 2-4 on the shelves every time I go.


    I've noticed that in my local drug stores as well. Then again I do live in a predominately white area so that may have something to do with it as well...I mean why keep stocking if the little that were selling are not anymore? As far as the local BSS the shelves are ALWAYS full of relaxers but everytime I go in (which is about once sometimes twice a month...I do have to stock up on my raw shea butter yall! Lol) I never see anyone buying any.

    I do however see the lace fronts, wigs, quick weaves and extensions moving like hot cakes & its always women with broken, thin and damaged hair buying it all. I'm sooooo glad I'm over the perms because I feel so bad seeing peoples scalps bc of relaxer damage all the damn time!

    I agree!! I know a lot of people are BC-ing, transitioning, and weaving it up than relaxing. I live in NY and I see more Black Hair salons emerging in areas where there are Dominican salons on evey corner. There's also local natural hair care salons and people who make/sell products on the scene. I see signs now in almost every neigborhood for hair braiding and loc twisting
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    Keran wrote: »
    In addition to TV, I'm seeing a lot of naturals in magazines,sales ads, inside store billboards like Target and Kohls. Every time I see them. I have to stop and just look. Its so beautiful.

    Going natural for me isnt a fad nor was it about money. But a choice. Although I loved having someone else doing my hair. I got tired of going to the salon every week. This wasn't my first time going natural. But my first time deciding to transition instead of a twa. I feel so free.


    ITA! I've been noticing a lot of natural/textured hair in mainstream media, as of lately. I love how they are embracing the natural hair culture. It's a beautiful thing. As for hair products, big business and indie shops will benefit from the natural hair culture. Many of you already splurge on indie shops, so I don't think that will change anytime soon, even if big business add more "natural" products. None the less I am glad to be apart of a movement that I believe is here to stay!
    Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App



    event.png


    Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    What do you all think about Celebs promoting natural hair products? I know a lot of celebs that were always hidden behind weaves and extensions have come out to admit they are natural or are transitioning. I know would like to see more natural hair ladies in music videos.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    Keran wrote: »
    In addition to TV, I'm seeing a lot of naturals in magazines,sales ads, inside store billboards like Target and Kohls. Every time I see them. I have to stop and just look. Its so beautiful.

    Going natural for me isnt a fad nor was it about money. But a choice. Although I loved having someone else doing my hair. I got tired of going to the salon every week. This wasn't my first time going natural. But my first time deciding to transition instead of a twa. I feel so free.


    ITA! I've been noticing a lot of natural/textured hair in mainstream media, as of lately. I love how they are embracing the natural hair culture. It's a beautiful thing. As for hair products, big business and indie shops will benefit from the natural hair culture. Many of you already splurge on indie shops, so I don't think that will change anytime soon, even if big business add more "natural" products. None the less I am glad to be apart of a movement that I believe is here to stay!
    Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

    I agree. I think we are diminishing all stereotypes about black hair. I also think younger generations will love and accept their natural beauty
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    What do you all think about Celebs promoting natural hair products? I know a lot of celebs that were always hidden behind weaves and extensions have come out to admit they are natural or are transitioning. I know would like to see more natural hair ladies in music videos.

    Personally it doesn't matter too much to me either way if a celeb does or does not promote a product. I have never been the type to cut my hair in a certain style, buy that bag or dress, or try the new thing just because a celeb is now doing it.

    However I do know that some people, especially the younger generations are influenced by celebs bc they view them as role models so if they can encourage our kids to be healthier (mind, body, hair, etc) then I'm all for it. No matter what I love seeing naturals whether they be famous or the girl in the supermarket with that fly twist out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)


    Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's



    event.png


    event.png
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    What do you all think about Celebs promoting natural hair products? I know a lot of celebs that were always hidden behind weaves and extensions have come out to admit they are natural or are transitioning. I know would like to see more natural hair ladies in music videos.

    Personally it doesn't matter too much to me either way if a celeb does or does not promote a product. I have never been the type to cut my hair in a certain style, buy that bag or dress, or try the new thing just because a celeb is now doing it.

    However I do know that some people, especially the younger generations are influenced by celebs bc they view them as role models so if they can encourage our kids to be healthier (mind, body, hair, etc) then I'm all for it. No matter what I love seeing naturals whether they be famous or the girl in the supermarket with that fly twist out!

    I agree I don't really pay attention to Celebs or follow what they do. I'm just hoping the young and older celebs who support natural hair can encourage young girls and boys there's nothing wrong with the hair that grows out of their scalp. I know a lot of kids follow what they do. Hopefully The Natural Hair Movement would trickle down more to Black Hollywood.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • mcherycemcheryce Posts: 363Registered Users
    I'm not sure that there are that many more natural celebs or companies. I think that because we are natural, we pay more attention to those things. For example, when you buy a new car all of a sudden you notice all the other folks with that same car. Did they all just go buy the same car that day? No, we are more in tune. However, sure it's becoming more popular to be natural and sell natural products but the relaxer companies are not going out of business any time soon. Especially since the media still tells young girls of all hair types that straight hair is prettier, more professional, neater, etc. That being said, I've made it my mission to help support black businesses and not focus solely in price value.
  • nownatural2nownatural2 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Its so good to see more natural hair, relaxed hair looks so weird to me now , too straight, too sleek looking for our skin, embrace those beautiful curls! im loving them. :flower:
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I know relaxers would always still be around, as long as they're being sold at black salons and ethnic beauty supply stores. In mainstream drug stores, where I live there's like 2-4 relaxer boxes on the shelves.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    A lot more women are rocking their natural texture for various reasons, but more women are emerging out of their shell since the 70s. Some of us are fed up with our hair, tried of the damage and chemical burns, flat irons, wigs, weaves, etc
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I had no inclination that my hair was curly as a kid. I knew my texture was soft and easy to manage back then. I presume I was heat trained as a kid. My mom use to press my hair every so often and blow dry weekly. The curly hair thing is new to me and I'm loving it. I always loved big hair no matter the texture.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9: