Makeup primer

JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
Any recs for dry skin? I use smashbox but it doesn't seem to make a difference and lately it makes my foundation look dry and a bit cakey.

Comments

• BrettyUBrettyU Registered Users Posts: 930
    Right now I'm using LOreal's studio secret perfecting base and i really like the product itself, the price and the availability (any drug store or target). It has a very velvety finish, it feels light and airy and I can immediately see a difference in my skins appearance. An added bonus is it lasts a while! A little goes a long way!

http://www.realbeauty.com/cm/realbeauty/images/va/LOreal-Studio-Secrets-lgn.jpg
  • CAT301CAT301 Registered Users Posts: 40
    Josephine, are you moisturizing before primer? Put on your moisturizer first and let it absorb for 5 to 10 minutes. Then add primer and foundation.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
  • solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    I'm hardly an expert, since i'm new to primer and tinted moisturizer, but I was told to mix the two in my hand and then apply. The mix goes on very nicely and sheerly and doesn't feel dry or cakey at any point during the day.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    I've recently become a Beauty Society rep, mostly because I loved their primer - Photo Shoot. It's amazing. There is a 100% money back guarantee so there's no risk in giving it a try.

Here is the link to the website.

Beauty Society
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    CAT301 wrote: »
    Josephine, are you moisturizing before primer? Put on your moisturizer first and let it absorb for 5 to 10 minutes. Then add primer and foundation.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App

I do but probably not enough. I have a light moisturizer but I think I need something heavier.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    Use a better moisturizer to start as your base.

Regular aloe gel works as a makeup primer for me, as well as that monistat anti chafing gel.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    Ditto re the Loreal Studio Secret for daily use. MAC makes an excellent one that I save for nitetime/heavy makeup use.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    Ugh my skin has been so dry because of the weather getting cooler im tempted to skip the primer tonite. The only way is if I use my very heavy cream underneath(egyptian magic cream, more 'greasy' than shea butter - i used it last night and usually wake up with a dewy moisturized look but this morning it looks like i put nothing on!).

Another rant - a lot of skincare products for acne always assume you have oily skin, what is up with that? So annoying!
    Okay I think it's the primer. I didn't use my primer Saturday and it looked nicer. It seems like the primer is soaking up all the moisture and thus making me look cakey. I guess it's good for oily skin and controlling shine. I think I could use it the summer when I get oilier. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try another primer. I also think the foundation could be a little more moisturizing(makeup forever hd).
  • gemidevigemidevi Registered Users Posts: 510
    When I went to MAC for a consult, I was told that the more sunscreen you have in your moisturizer and/or primer, the better oil control you have. I have combo skin with heavy patches of oil in certain spots and dry flaky skin in others.

So, I use the Aveeno face moisturizer with SPF 25. I am experimenting with the Monistat Anti-chafing gel at this time and it seems to keep my skin lush and not dry. However, I think it makes my face really oily. So I am probably going to go back to the MAC's prep + prime, SPF 50.

I might try the other primers listed in this thread! I am looking for my holy grail of make up primers.
    *disclaimer* spelling, grammatical and psychological errors are for your enjoyment. :)
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    josephine, what exactly are you using the primer for?

here's a good, recent thread where we talked about primers in case you missed it.
    gemidevi wrote: »
    When I went to MAC for a consult, I was told that the more sunscreen you have in your moisturizer and/or primer, the better oil control you have. I have combo skin with heavy patches of oil in certain spots and dry flaky skin in others.

So, I use the Aveeno face moisturizer with SPF 25. I am experimenting with the Monistat Anti-chafing gel at this time and it seems to keep my skin lush and not dry. However, I think it makes my face really oily. So I am probably going to go back to the MAC's prep + prime, SPF 50.

I might try the other primers listed in this thread! I am looking for my holy grail of make up primers.

interesting....i do aveeno spf 30, no primers, mineral makeup sometimes with a shine control product in my t-zone and that all seems to work as well as i can expect for having oily skin. i've also been religiously taking zinc lately to help with oil control from the inside. josephine, not sure if you do or not but you might consider omega 3. it's supposed to be good for your skin among other things.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    josephine, what exactly are you using the primer for?

here's a good, recent thread where we talked about primers in case you missed it.
    gemidevi wrote: »

interesting....i do aveeno spf 30, no primers, mineral makeup sometimes with a shine control product in my t-zone and that all seems to work as well as i can expect for having oily skin. i've also been religiously taking zinc lately to help with oil control from the inside. josephine, not sure if you do or not but you might consider omega 3. it's supposed to be good for your skin among other things.

I thought primers are good for making your foundation go on more smoothly, especially if you have large pores and keeps the gunk out of them. My foundations looks the same if not better without the primer I have.

I've been meaning to take omega 3 but have been lazy. I am allergic to fish so I have to get it from kelp online and hope I'm not allergic to that too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file