Help !! Newbie here

I co washed my hair yesterday for the first time n now my scalp is so dry.. I've read there is a phase befor my scalp gets adjusted but does it cause dryness? I thought it's supposed to greasy

Comments

• curlyt00curlyt00 Registered Users Posts: 18
    well, how long have you been natural and how much growth do you have?
    all i do is co wash i barely ever use shampoos and o co wash about twice a week, but after you co wash you must follow up with a good leave in conditioner, or your hair will be dry, natural hair is prone to drying out, water and moisture is your friend.
    BC Dec 31, 2008
    after 3 month transition
    I love everything about naturally curly hair!! Follow me on my personal sites below.

youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/curlyt00

Curly Hair Product Store
    "A World For Curls"
    http://www.zazzle.com/aworldforcurls*

naturally beautiful tips blog
    http://blog.natural-beauty-01.com
  • NirucurlsNirucurls Registered Users Posts: 88
    I straightened my hair 3 years back and didn't touch it after that.. I've outgrown n cut off those hairs and now I have curly hair only and I was using sulphate shampoo till last month n then non sulphate no silicone shampoo.. N I had my first co wash day before yesterday.. Should I do a pre treatment or something ?
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    It's important to condition your hair after co-washing it. You rinse out all of your co-wash because you're using it to clean the dirt and sweat out of your hair, as you would have done with shampoo. Then your hair needs conditioner to condition your hair, and many people use a more emollient conditioner for that.

You should also be doing deep treatments, which involves applying a very rich conditioner to clean hair. After you apply it, cover your hair with a plastic cap (a clean plastic shopping bag works in a pinch), and applying heat. I have a hard top dryer that I sit under for 20-30 minutes before rinsing that out. There are also caps that hold hot packs that you heat up in the microwave. As an alternative, you could rinse a towel out in hot water, wrap it around your head, then cover that with a dry towel for the same amount of time. While the summer weather holds, you could also sit out in the sun. The warmth helps open the cuticle of your hair so the deep treatment can get in.

There are some deep treatments you can whip up in your kitchen, most of which utilise mayonnaise, egg, and olive oil. You can find formulas for deep treatments in the Recipes section.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Oh I'm using a deep treatment today:) I'm planning on washing my hair n then deep condition it.. As the climate s very hot here I think it should suffice :) I started using sulphate free shampoo as my conditioner did not wash off the oil I use in my hair :(
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
    Nirucurls wrote: »
    Oh I'm using a deep treatment today:) I'm planning on washing my hair n then deep condition it.. As the climate s very hot here I think it should suffice :) I started using sulphate free shampoo as my conditioner did not wash off the oil I use in my hair :(

what kind of oil did you use? most oils that we use are better if a little bit is left in.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
    I use coconut oil with henna,hibiscus n curry leaves it leaves my hair soft after washing it off n I sometimes use it if my hair becomes dry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file