I want the best henna! Whose henna is the best?

mocurlsmocurls Registered Users Posts: 1
So I see henna hair dye is the healthiest but where do I go to get it...Ive seen henna hut or Surya henna which lines are the best who should I pick. Any ideas for me. I only want the best. I Also see some ppl have to leave in for 8-16 hour for others the process is much shorter please henna heads help me out

Comments

• CurliniCurlini Registered Users Posts: 258 Curl Neophyte
    Try the Henna for Hair website - excellent resource!
    Henna for Hair

Good luck!:thumbleft:
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LahomajayneLahomajayne Registered Users Posts: 127
    I use Surya Henna cream (either the red or the dark reddish blonde color, I cannot vouch for the other colors!) - its very luxurious feeling, filled with good oils for your hair and the color is rich and lasts for about 3 weeks. It looks very natural! For peeps like me who are really super busy it is nice as I don't have tons of time to mess around with my hair.
    Super wavy and wurly curly! Fiii,fairly non-porous, inelastic
    Colorado Curly - low dew points & low humidity!
    Organix Cherry Ginseng and DevaCurl low poo/condish
    KCKT leave in, Naturelle Gel
    Joimist or Aussie Sprunch Spray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have KLINGON HAIR :D

My hair likes IAgirls PT!
    I have celiac disease - no wheat please!
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Registered Users Posts: 524
    I thought Surya Henna was a compound henna because it comes in different colors. Really 100% henna is only available in a copper red shade.

I would be extremely careful with any compound hennas. They contain metallic salts mixed in with the henna powder that enable the manufacturer to make different shades.

Metallic salts can devastate your hair when put over existing color or perm. And you need to be very careful if coloring over henna.

I hope none of these things happen to you, Lahomajayne. I don't know much about that Surya henna in particular so maybe there are big differences in this product to understand (I hope so!)
  • LahomajayneLahomajayne Registered Users Posts: 127
    As far as I know some Surya henna colors do have some other plant dyes in it, but it does not have mineral salts that make it unsafe to use over other hair colors - I have not had any bad experiences with it to date - I usually do use the red though!
    Super wavy and wurly curly! Fiii,fairly non-porous, inelastic
    Colorado Curly - low dew points & low humidity!
    Organix Cherry Ginseng and DevaCurl low poo/condish
    KCKT leave in, Naturelle Gel
    Joimist or Aussie Sprunch Spray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have KLINGON HAIR :D

My hair likes IAgirls PT!
    I have celiac disease - no wheat please!
  • UmphUmph Registered Users Posts: 83
    "Henna is a safe and effective cure for head lice, dandruff and ringworm. Henna combined with Fenugreek
    will kill head lice in resistant infestations. Henna combined with Artemisia will completely eradicate head
    lice, even in severe infestations. Prepare henna to eradicate headlice, dandruff, or ringworm the way you
    normally prepare henna. For difficult infestations, add 25g of artemisia or fenugreek per 100g of henna.
    Use body art quality henna (high dye content, with no impurities or adulterants. Do not use Artemisia on
    pregnant or nursing women."
    "Henna can cure dandruff! Dandruff is the result of a fungal infestation, psoriasis, dermatitis, or flaking
    skin. Henna is anti-fungal, can be effective against psoriasis, and can strengthen skin. Many people who
    have itching, flaking scalps after dying with chemical dyes are developing an allergy to paraphenylenediamine
    and other chemicals. Henna can be used to dye hair instead of chemicals, and can
    restore healthy hair and skin."

The e book is very, very informative! I will have to rember these tid-bits of info; working at a pediatrics practics the lice info comes in handy. I know many people with dandruff issues, I will have to pass this info on.
    JULY 2010 FROM STRAIGHT TO KINKY :toothy4:
    doing my own thing... the mention of salon's make me :puker:
    Jamila brand HENNA IS MY NEW LOVE! :D
    CO, Elucene brand moisturizing shampoo/ moisturizing conditioners, AVJ/ACV rinses are in my arsenal of staple products. My hair DOES like silicones... Organix Argan Oil is a keeper.
  • chicabellezachicabelleza Registered Users Posts: 82
    Right now I've used henna once & loved it. It was the Light Mountain brand. :)

Sent from my M865 using CurlTalk App
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I've only used it once and loved it, too.

I went to Mehandi.com. Very helpful and nice.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I've only used it once and loved it, too.

I went to Mehandi.com. Very helpful and nice.

+1 to this. Best henna of all on this site, spendy but absolutely reliable. There is a link on the www.hennaforhair.com page.

Oh and on timing? I don't think anyone's hair could be more resistant to color than mine is; it used to take two days to bleach it, but henna will 'take' in about 6 hours and then lasts forever, it has to grow out, never fades. Make sure you wait for dye release before applying it, and mix with lemon juice and cold water, not hot water. Once it's 'active' I actually mix mine with conditioner to help it rinse out more easily, this hasn't interfered with the color.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Does one need to use color safe shampoos only after using henna?

I'm still learning.
  • chicabellezachicabelleza Registered Users Posts: 82
    Well shampoos that don't contain sulfates is what I normally consider color safe in general. & after about 3 days (the length recommended to wait after henna treatment to shampoo) it's permanently there...like forever lol :). I hope this is helpful.
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Does one need to use color safe shampoos only after using henna?

I'm still learning.

Sent from my M865 using CurlTalk App
  • UmphUmph Registered Users Posts: 83
    I would suggest any sulfate free shampoo too. I only recently did henna but can't wait to do again, grays are popping up fast!:( Unlike regular dye, I can color my hair as often as I like! I plan to do so at least once a month. I plan to order from hennasooq site.
    JULY 2010 FROM STRAIGHT TO KINKY :toothy4:
    doing my own thing... the mention of salon's make me :puker:
    Jamila brand HENNA IS MY NEW LOVE! :D
    CO, Elucene brand moisturizing shampoo/ moisturizing conditioners, AVJ/ACV rinses are in my arsenal of staple products. My hair DOES like silicones... Organix Argan Oil is a keeper.
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Registered Users Posts: 573
    I was a henna-user for years! Henna is very tiral-and-error (like any hair stuff, of course), but the wrong henna can seriously damage some people's hair. I always purchased body art quality henna only. You have to be sure to get your henna from a reputable seller, too, to ensure it's not mixed with undesirable fillers and dyes. Also, henna can go stale, so you want to make sure it's fresh. I used to store mine in my freezer to keep it fresh. Have a look at the Henna For Hair site, as previously suggested, and Mehandi.com. There are color mixture recommendations as well as recs for shade, hair type, etc. Ancient Sunrise (on Mehandi.com) has an excellent reputation, and their new Rajasthani Twighlight batch gets good reviews. I used Punjabi Prime quite a bit, and I got great color over my very dark hair. The color achieved can depend a lot on individual batches, though, so go with the recommmendations on the website for colors.

I'm not a salon professional or chemist but I just want to suggest that maybe you shouldn't use lemon juice to release the dye in your henna. Lemon juice can destroy dry hair, trust me.:tongue8: At least don't use it for more than one coloring. Also, I've seen salt suggested to "damage" hair, so it aborbs henna better. I think this might intensify the already drying effects of henna. (Again, I don't know for sure, I'm honestly just trying to help, so you don't wind up with the damage you want to avoid by using henna in the first place.) ACV can be quite drying as well. I think a lot of the people who give advice at that site have straight, and/or oily hair, and, as we know, curly hair doesn't work like straight hair. If your hair feels dry after henna, the Henna For Hair site will tell you to apply more henna...that may not be right for you, and it may dry out your hair even more...

Mixing some Amla in with your henna can reduce any curl-pattern interference henna may have, but, again, everybody's hair is different, so it's trial and error. Adding Cassia can help make your hair feel thicker. If your dye isn't releasing properly, you could try citric acid powder rather than citrus juice. It's a little less drying this way.

Eventually I started adding EVOO to my mixtures, and it definitely helped with slip. Also, I liked to mix coriander or cloves in my dye to perfume over the henna smell, and to make my hair smell spicy. One big thing for me was rinsing my hair while immersed in water, like a bathtub or hair sink, rather than trying to rinse out the henna in a shower. Rinsing henna in the shower could literally take hours for me, and it's hard on hair. When you dunk your hair in water and soak it for awhile, the henna will slide off before it can harden.

Hope your hair turns out gorgeous!
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file