CurlTalk

why do people make natural hair complicated

so, my hair is natural but, i dont buy all that hair curling stuff. all i do is wash it once a week and put hair lotion on my hair and oil spray and im done. i dont need to buy all that otha stuff so why do ppl do it?? i'm new at this naturale so i really dont understand lol

Comments

• DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    Yeah, I guess it all depends on what style or look a person's going for and what they consider complicated. Whatever works for the given curly is what matters, right? ;-) :thumbleft:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • jessahjessah Posts: 95Registered Users
    Speaking for wavies, we use product to help our hair retain the wave and curl. My hair gets pretty limp by the afternoon without some gel. Luck you, being able to get away with so little! :)
    Stopped fighting the pregnancy induced waves (9 year battle) and became natural 5/11
    2a/b? fine, low porosity
    co wash- say yes to carrots, strawberries and cream Vo5
    low poo- Lor'eal ever pure
    leave in- burt bees very volumizing watered down
    gel- beautiful curls wavy-curly, LA looks sport
    scrunch and pump works for me
  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Yeah, I don't really understand it either. I used to use at least 1 gel or mousse when I styled my hair. But now, I just put a leave-in in and I let it dry. I don't really have the time for all that other stuff. :-| I think it's fine to use products, but I think some people go over board with it.
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • peaches095peaches095 Posts: 82Registered Users
    Yeah, I don't really understand it either. I used to use at least 1 gel or mousse when I styled my hair. But now, I just put a leave-in in and I let it dry. I don't really have the time for all that other stuff. :-| I think it's fine to use products, but I think some people go over board with it.

Ya plus all that stuff is expensive and probably does the same as the generic do. I just can't spend all my money on that stuff lol

Sent from my HERO200 using CurlTalk App
  • Naturalbeauty81Naturalbeauty81 Posts: 108Registered Users
    Ooooh, it can be hard at times not to become a product junkie but in the back of mind I keep thinking I know what products works, my shampoo, conditioner and leave ins are Giovanni, my stylers are Kinky Curly and cheaper version is Queen Helene and Eco Styler with Argan Oil. I try to get products on the ground to also save the expense. Certain products produce specific results, I have been blessed to like all of the products that I have purchased lately. For some people like me all natural or 97% natural products work best for their hair.
    Naturally beautiful, Naturally me :angel11:

www.singleladycookz.blogpsot.com
  • DarkSkinBeautyDarkSkinBeauty Posts: 11Registered Users
    I am new to this natural hair journey and what I have seen is that people do use a lot of products that I find unnecessary. I have a 4b hair type so I usually can't do a wash and go style I would have to put a curl activator in it to get a curly look but otherwise than that I only use Eco styler gel for my hairstyles olive oil sheen spray and doogro growth stimulator oil and of course my shampoo and conditioners, and my hair is growing and healthy.
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    Unfortunately, like a lot of wavies, mine are pretty weak and without product I can't get wave formation. I'm trying to cut down a bit and see if that helps. I definitely don't go too crazy with buying products (no money!!!) but I think it's more than possible to be CG on a limited budget. :glasses2:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fbalancedbeauty.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • naturalzombiegirlnaturalzombiegirl Posts: 11Registered Users
    For me its not about making it complicated. Even though I already have staples, I enjoy buying and trying out other things.

Sent from my Nexus One using CurlTalk App
  • itsiliiiitsiliii Posts: 340Registered Users
    Id definitely have to agree, each person goes CG in their own way. Some people go crazy trying out whatever product they can get their hands on meanwhile others avoid the product addiction.

Unfortunately, some people also have harder times finding products that work for their hair -in the end i think whatever works for you is fine, 100 or 1 product, to each his own! :)
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
    That's one reason I try not to use a lot of products...because most of them are expensive.

No offense to anyone, but if your hair is only a little bit wavy (like 1a-2) then I don't think your hair is really actually curly. I think some people want they're hair to be curly soo bad that they try to use all these products to make it look curlier. When in fact they could just leave it naturally wavy and it would look just as good if not better. That's just my opinion though..
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users
    Are you saying complicated due to products or routines ( various steps) ?

I would say it is because people enjoy it, the problem lies with people who think they HAVE to do/use a million things to grow healthy hair ...... Then again its not my hair

I'm certainly not a minimalist so I can't criticise. When I style my hair I use a RO,oil,LI and gel... That's 4 steps every 3 days which for some could be complicated .
    I think it's complicated because you have to take SO much time to style and do all these routines with your hair. It's soo nice when you can get out of the shower put in some leave in and go.

@ttolla, I don't think that's a complicated routine. It's whatever works for that person. Me...I'm not really a "girly" girl. So sometimes I just DON'T care at all.
  • JoliePoetiqueJoliePoetique Posts: 178Registered Users
    To a certain extent I agree. It annoys me to see YouTube reviews where the person uses 10 products before they apply the product they are there to review. There's no way to determine if it worked.

For me, I went through a lot of products until I found what worked for me. Now I have about 10 products I will buy again, and that includes poos, conditioners, leave ins, oils, moisturizers and stylers. May sound like a lot, but I have about 30 to use up that I won't rebuy.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
    Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
    Butters: NONE! :sign6::puker:
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users
    @Kurlyprincess, honestly I don't think it is either but it could be too many steps for some. When 'I don't care' I use a RO then bun and I love it .

I disagree with doing 3 things even before you wash your hair but that is because I don't need that for MY hair so the bias already exists...
    I'm not saying people shouldn't use a lot of products or do routines... I just really think some people take it way too far! You look at some peoples siggies and it's like a mile long with stuff they put in their hair or do to it on a regular basis..
  • itsiliiiitsiliii Posts: 340Registered Users
    I'm not saying people shouldn't use a lot of products or do routines... I just really think some people take it way too far! You look at some peoples siggies and it's like a mile long with stuff they put in their hair or do to it on a regular basis..

OMG I KNOW it's like first I put in this leave in and then this cream and then this gel and then my HARD HOLD GEL and as it's drying one more gel and it's like DAYUMMM that just isn't for me

The most amount of products that I use is three- and I thought THAT was a lot :D
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    Actually I think many people's signature blocks intend to show all the products they trust/have had success using on their hair, but don't necessarily use regularly. A lot of people find it a great help to see what someone else with the same hair properties is using (I know I check sigs for that sometimes.) My sig block for example is loaded with lots of products, but in the last two weeks (washing every other day) I've used 3 commercial products and homemade FSG. But who knows -- Next time I wash my hair, I may choose to change up conditioner or gel or whatever just for the "fun" of it!

But of course, like others have been saying, whatever works for someone else is good as long as what they're using or doing works for them! :wav:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • capellifelicicapellifelici Posts: 26Registered Users
    Unfortunately, like a lot of wavies, mine are pretty weak and without product I can't get wave formation. I'm trying to cut down a bit and see if that helps. I definitely don't go too crazy with buying products (no money!!!) but I think it's more than possible to be CG on a limited budget. :glasses2:

^^I definitely agree.

To Peaches095, some people out there do become product junkies, but I just can't afford that (not to mention it gets cluttery and materialistic and is downright unnecessary!). What I say is do your research--a LOT of research--before you fork over the money to buy anything--including the products that you already buy! Don't be an apathetic consumer!

Before I went CG earlier this summer--and no, I didn't fork over the money even for the book and movie, I just became well-versed on this website!--I had been spending SO much money over the course of a long time, going from product to product, trying to find something that would work for me. I had no idea that my hair wasn't getting any better (and in fact was getting worse) because of all the nasty chemicals that I was pumping into it.

Then once I decided to go "CG" (basically in my book, no sulfates, silicones, short-chain alcohols, or parabens, and heat-free drying using plopping and duck clips) I researched a lot and read tons of product reviews of curlies with my same type of hair (fine 3a/2c). Then I narrowed it down to 3 basic styling products (I've since tacked on 3 more) that I rotate out, as well as 3 different conditioners and 1 shampoo. Then, instead of buying right away on curlmart (which, honestly, can get way too expensive), I shopped around and actually found three of the four shampoo/conditioners at my local Super Supplements for CHEAP. I ended up buying the stylers on curlmart, but found a coupon online for 20% off. I think that ultimately you just have to be a smart shopper.

And honestly it was worth every penny. My hair has never been healthier or happier. Plus what's great is that I'm finding that with these good quality, healthy products, I end up needing less each time, so they last a lot longer than a lot of non-CG products. A lot more bang for your buck than "over the counter" non-CG things like Pantene, Garnier, TIGI, Herbal Essences, what have you. (Plus, while I have not had success with them myself when I tried them in the past, many other CG curlies do swear by things like VO5 and Suave Coconut conditioner, which are both super cheap and available right at the drugstore!)

Is it worth it? I think so. My hair is so soft, so clean, so frizz-free, so light, so healthy, so CURLY...not to mention the natural color is restored, which had been artificially darkened by no-no products that I was using...honestly it's just like the adorable perfect hair on three-year-olds. As another CG curlie said on a different thread, it's "sex-ready hair" haha. :love5: This whole CG thing might seem frivolous and hyped-up, but honestly the science backs it up and, at least for me, my before- and after-hair prove it.

Anyway, long story short, you can go CG and stay within a budget. I think that your hair will thank you in the long run, like mine did.
    :toothy4:
    -->3a/some 2c underneath; long, fine (porosity?); plop, no heat, CG since 07/11<--
    Day 1: NoPoo, One Condition, KCKT, Mop Lift, Recoil, AnGel
    Day 2: Mister Right
    Day 3: Mister Right/KC Gloss Pomade for the frizzies
    Days 4/5/6: repeat Days 1/2/3
    Day 7: LowPoo, Suave ES
    itsiliii wrote: »

OMG I KNOW it's like first I put in this leave in and then this cream and then this gel and then my HARD HOLD GEL and as it's drying one more gel and it's like DAYUMMM that just isn't for me

The most amount of products that I use is three- and I thought THAT was a lot :D

I was seriously LOLing reading this! It's SO true!
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users
    itsiliii wrote: »

I was seriously LOLing reading this! It's SO true!

I completely agree with both of you! If people have the time and desire to add leave in, activator, cream, gel, oil, hard gel, pomade then plop, more gel, pixie diffuse... More power to them! I try to keep it simple -- leave in and gel, or leave in, KCCC and gel at most. That's it. The beauty of all this is you do what works for you. You can be as simple or complicated in your routine as you like. You can buy good quality inexpensive products or buy boutique-y online only expensive products. It's your hair! Do what works for you!! :geek:
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    Isn't being CG also about accepting and loving your natural hair? Not just products and techniques. Somebody said that if you only have a little bit of waviness you're not really curly and basically wasting your time. If someone wants to put the time and effort into their hair and is also able to afford a lot of products, then that is their choice!!! Just as someone only wants to do a minimal amount is also their choice. I feel like a lot of judging of other people goes on and maybe we need to let that go. That's just the hippie in me though :afro:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fbalancedbeauty.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    I'm not judging anyone. I think that some people could really go without ALL of the product because then after you put ALL of that stuff in...it's not really your natural hair. imo. Go right ahead and use 10 different products in your hair...I don't really care. It's just not for me though. Leave-in and I'm good to go.
  • capellifelicicapellifelici Posts: 26Registered Users
    Isn't being CG also about accepting and loving your natural hair? Not just products and techniques. Somebody said that if you only have a little bit of waviness you're not really curly and basically wasting your time. If someone wants to put the time and effort into their hair and is also able to afford a lot of products, then that is their choice!!! Just as someone only wants to do a minimal amount is also their choice. I feel like a lot of judging of other people goes on and maybe we need to let that go. That's just the hippie in me though :afro:

This is the second time I've quoted you on this thread, because I just completely agree with you. What works for you isn't always going to work for someone else. And it often doesn't. I love to sing the praises of CG because its philosophy works well for me, but if you have your own thing, go ahead and do it. As long as you love and appreciate your hair for what it is, that's what matters. On the same note, a hair routine with tons of different products with complex interactions probably would not work very well for me, but the fact is a lot of other very happy wavies, curlies, and kinkies swear by all the different products they use and the very specific ways in which they use them.

Just do what makes you happy, and let others do the same.

*On a different note, from a structural perspective (the physics and chemistry of hair), wavies, curlies, and kinkies just follow along a spectrum. Wavies are included in this website because basically the hair shaft just isn't as tightly wound as it is for curlies (and especially kinkies), but it's still curved and sometimes looped enough to require care quite similar if not identical to curlies! And if we're going to try to say that wavies aren't "real" curlies, then really we should be saying that about curlies too because we're technically not as "curly" as you can possibly get. Perhaps the only real curlies out there are kinkies! :laughing6:
    -->3a/some 2c underneath; long, fine (porosity?); plop, no heat, CG since 07/11<--
    Day 1: NoPoo, One Condition, KCKT, Mop Lift, Recoil, AnGel
    Day 2: Mister Right
    Day 3: Mister Right/KC Gloss Pomade for the frizzies
    Days 4/5/6: repeat Days 1/2/3
    Day 7: LowPoo, Suave ES
    I think everyone on here is right. You know, I think that ppl DO choose whatever they want to do with their hair.whether its spend money on alotta product or on one. Me ,I don't cuz I feel like if u have curly hair,why buy all dat stuff.I'm not putting CGs down but I'm just saying.another thing is I think that if ppl with waves want curly hair,hey, don't.bother me none. Wavies can make their hair curly.but someone on here said dat Wavies are not curly girls and I do agree with that.

peaches095 wrote: »
    another thing is I think that if ppl with waves want curly hair,hey, don't.bother me none.

10,000+

EXACTLY what I was trying to say! It doesn't bother me either. But I think they try to use all these products to make their hair curlier, but really if they would just leave it without a lot of those products it would look better. imo
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    Hey you guys! There's this really great thread you should check out, as I'm sure you'd love it in case you missed it somehow!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/hall-shame-discussion/67186-ppl-wavy-hair-think-its-curly-am-i-only-one-whos-annoyed.html

And natural hair means so many things. I'm one who's been there, tried that product, done that routine, and simplified. It'd be great to be able to say I am curly, but I'm not. It'd be great to be able to say I am wavy, but I'm not. I don't use more than two products at a time anymore, and most days go without and wear it up. I've been permed when I was a kid, relaxed as an adult, and I've been "natural". I was never someone with a "naturally" defined mop, that could go without some help without looking like a cave woman. Sure, we could all walk around without product or minimal product usage, and wear our hair up all the time. But where is the fun in it for someone like me to look like a cave woman all time? I'm not really exaggerating, but I thought it was an adequate comparison so that maybe those of you without the "natural" challenge I have, might understand our plight a little better.

To each his own - you are lucky if all you have to do is put in LI and walk out the door and still look passable as a modern day woman. For those of us who'd look trashy walking out the door with the hair we have without help or look like cave women, well, I guess we'd just make you ladies look better :).
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Who determines what is "complicated"? If a person chooses the minimalist approach to haircare, or anything else, that's a personal decision. Those who don't aren't necessarily making things "complicated". So, how many products can one layer, before they can't claim "natural" status?

If somebody chooses to spend money on lots of products, because it gives them pleasure, and doesn't dip into anyone else's cash stash, why does it matter? Who am I to determine what you "need" for your hair?

To each her own. Do you, and be happy.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    I think people should still use products. Definitely don't wanna go around looking like Danielle from Lost. :laughing8: bur I know some people that look better without a lot of those products in their hair.

Complicated to me is when curlies are doing a lot of routi es.. Like the ice quern method. I've done it...absolutely hate it. Who wants to take a cold shower? And then they use a million other products. Plop for 45 minutes blow dry, scrunch. Honestly I could never take that long my own hair. On a regular basis.

*sorry for typos...the the phone
    Complicated to me is when curlies are doing a lot of routi es.. Like the ice quern method. I've done it...absolutely hate it. Who wants to take a cold shower? And then they use a million other products. Plop for 45 minutes blow dry, scrunch. Honestly I could never take that long my own hair. On a regular basis.

*sorry for typos...the the phone

I didn't even know that there was a routine for doing ur hair in cold shower. Idk who would do that. And like u said that some ppl look good without all dat product in there hair,thts true cuz I only use two or three products plus shampoo and conditioner and dats it cuz I don't want my hair getting piled up and then also,the smell of each product and then your hair will.be smelling like idk what...not a good thing if ur into ur hair smelling good

LOL! I know the smells are pretty bad sometimes! I don't even like the feel of all the products in my hair. I like when it feels soft with only a leave-in in. That's when I like it best. It might not look to great. But it's fine with me. Every once in a while I'll use a light gel if I'm going out somewhere.

Oh and it's supposed to be the Ice Queen Method.. Haha