is ACV rinse really that important?

FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
im thinking of washing my hair with bicarb soda n rinse thing, but cause im not too keen on using ACV, i was thinking of using coffee or green tea to do the rinse. would this work? or do you have to rinse with vinigar?
am really thankfull for any info girls :)

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
my hair loves conditioner only styling!
Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
:hello1:

Comments

• HazelglazeHazelglaze Registered Users Posts: 7
    Fmasuhr wrote: »
    im thinking of washing my hair with bicarb soda n rinse thing, but cause im not too keen on using ACV, i was thinking of using coffee or green tea to do the rinse. would this work? or do you have to rinse with vinigar?
    am really thankfull for any info girls :)

I never found the ACV rinse helpful...just did the baking soda rinse and it worked wonders. Good luck!
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
    thanx :) did you just do it once a week?

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
  • HazelglazeHazelglaze Registered Users Posts: 7
    Yeah. I do a baking soda rinse and co-wash once a week.
  • kayliekaylie Registered Users Posts: 25
    I can't just wash with baking soda, my cuticle opens way too much, even with conditioner after. I did that once, had to condition my hair twice after (2 separate showers) to get it back to normal. ACV same shower as baking soda, no problem.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Yeah, I'd definitely do some kind of acidic rinse afterward. If you're really not keen on ACV, I think you can use citric acid instead. Baking soda really ruffles the cuticle and causes frizz, and I've also heard people say that it "loosens" the curls without an acidic rinse. I guess that has to do with the pH being off. :) Restoring the pH balance is pretty important.

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    yea that makes sense, how bout half ACV and half peppermints/rosemary tea?

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Is it the aroma that bothers you? I don't like the smell of that much vinegar that close to my nose myself, but on the occasions I did baking soda cleanses, I followed with water with a splash of lemon juice, which is what my mother used on our hair when we were kids.

It really is important to reset the pH of your hair after cleansing it with baking soda, which is highly alkaline. Not doing so would leave your hair cuticle wide open to damage, and tangly; and it would also leave your scalp open to problems. So you need to use something acidic to rinse your hair and scalp, which is not to say that you couldn't follow the acid rinse with something that smells good to you.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    mmmm ok thanx for that, yea i think it is the smell that bothers me, ive heard that lemon lightens your hair as well or makes light high lights

• kayliekaylie Registered Users Posts: 25
    Maybe try diluting the acv a little more and rinse once or twice and following with your regular conditioner, depending on how much the baking soda affects your hair
    kaylie wrote: »
    Maybe try diluting the acv a little more and rinse once or twice and following with your regular conditioner, depending on how much the baking soda affects your hair

yea good idea i think i might dilute it with a bit of green tea or somthing n condition after :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file