Are DevaCurl products really necessary? Product recs?

Hi got a Devacut today for the first time and am loving it. :hello1:

At the salon my stylist told me that Devacurl is the only product that doesn't have "plastics" in it (and is therefore the best for curly hair). She showed me the lather on her hand while using a low-poo on my hair to show me all of the plastics in my hair.

I can't afford the price for this product line (and I don't like the smell of it). So, my question...is what she is saying true about "plastics" or just a scam to sell product?

Also, based on what I've read on the boards, I was planning on using:

CO wash: Suave naturals conditioner
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner
Gel: LA Looks Wet Look Gel

Do you guys see any problems with this? Please share your thoughts on this and/or the stylist comments about Devacurl. Thanks!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Many of us start out with Deva products, think we like them--and then move on to other things. My salon carries Deva and I won't let them use it on my hair! Around here, Deva is a love/hate line.

That being said, my hair prefers the more natural products from the online, boutique type companies. However, there are a lot of folks who have found other, cheaper products to work for them.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HazelglazeHazelglaze Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thanks Kathymack. It's hard to know what is a good product vs. what a salon is just trying to sell you. I've been burned in the past and Devacurl is expensive!
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have used most of their products and I am now down to just one. i found products that work better
    As Kathy already said, there are LOTS of great products out there that are good for your hair. The secret is finding which work best for you!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • rovergirlrovergirl Posts: 22Registered Users
    Try the cheaper products and see if you like the results - I think that's all you can do. I've been CG now since early July - started with Deva conditioner and AnGel.
    Tried VO5 and Suave recently - they might work for me for co-washing - but they don't put enough moisture into my hair even leaving them in (and the scents are REALLY strong - so I don't want to leave them in).

I tried the Sally's GVP conditioning balm and wasn't keen on the results there either.

The weather where I live has been a bit nuts the last two weeks as well - I'm sure that is playing into what my hair is doing (currently - frizz at the ends - driving me NUTS).

I feel like my hair is a big ol' science experiment.
    It looks the best when I put some pureed banana and honey on it and let that set for about an hour under a shower cap, rinse like crazy then put some Deva condish in as a leave in and some AnGel.
    What my hair is trying to tell me with that - I haven't a clue.

Good luck!
    Try the products - note the results and keep your fingers crossed!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,644Administrators, Moderators Administrator

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a fan of the Deva products. The smell is a bit too sweet for my liking. But worse for me is the way my hair feels when I use them. My hair is fine and the Deva products leave my hair gunky and producty. The products you listed (Suave, Tresemme and LA Looks) all work much better for me.
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,270Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Interesting that Deva stuff gets sort of middle of the road reviews....
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
    It must depend on all kinds of factors in each individual's hair, not to mention climate, dew point, hormones, fragrance sensitivities, etc. I know I've been awestruck by certain Deva products (No-Poo, One Condition, AnGel, Set It Free, Mist-er Right), but others didn't impress me as much,(Heaven in Hair seems to dry out my hair, and B'Leave In doesn't like when I use Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite). I think they all smell great, and they make my hair feel soft and refreshed. I like what I have because I need a lot of moisture in my hair these days, as it recovers from silicone heat-shock.

I have a few Curl Junkie products that I think are excellent, but I don't get the same results from them that I get from Deva. The CJ products I have seem to dry out my hair more, and I wind up with frizz and poofs.
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file