Copper iud

deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
Thinking of this as an option for birth control...any opinions from those those who have had it??
58eCm4.png
SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!

Comments

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I am on my second copper IUD (first one removed to have another baby). The insertion was no big deal, a little worse than menstrual cramps, a lot better than labor :)

I did have heavier flow and worse cramps for a couple of months the first time I had it in, then it settled down and was mostly like before. The second time I don't remember the flow or cramps being worse than usual.

I've been pretty happy with it. It was also the best option for me because I did not want hormones and I wanted to be spontaneous.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I recently talked to my OB/Gyn about this as an option, would like to get away from hormones . A friend just got one last week and she's had some pain and cramps but is also a self confessed wimp ( no kids/childbirth experience)

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Spider wrote: »
    I recently talked to my OB/Gyn about this as an option, would like to get away from hormones . A friend just got one last week and she's had some pain and cramps but is also a self confessed wimp ( no kids/childbirth experience)

If she's never had kids, insertion is also going to be much more painful
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I had one (inserted 6 weeks pp, right after my first period) and my period was one day longer. Also I had recurring yeast infections for the first year--I don't know if that was due to hormones from breastfeeding, the IUD or the combination, but I feel compelled to mention it whenever someone asks about the copper IUD. Insertion was uncomfortable, but not painful for me. I think it's a great option if you don't want hormones but don't want the hassle of remembering birth control.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I had the Paragard for 12yrs and now have the Mirena. Liked the Paragard. LOVE the Mirena. My periods stopped with the Mirena. There's no estrogen and very little progestin. I dont do well on other forms of birth control.
    I had my Paragard inserted 4 months post partum and insertion was painless. 12 yrs later, the insertion for the Mirena wasn't too bad but not pain free. Definitely worth it.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I loved my copper IUD. I had it for 7 years and it was so great. I don't do hormones well so it was ideal. When I need BC again I'll definitely get another one.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are iud's covered by insurance?

Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    thanks all!

I thought about the Mirena, but with breastfeeding, and since I already know i am susceptible to supply issues, I want to stay away from it. I also do not do well with hormones, so the copper seems to be the front runner for BC.

Not sure about insurance...although I have hit my max out of pocket for this year so I should be fine.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Mine was!

But now under the new law, they should be for everyone.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • mimikomimiko Posts: 120Registered Users
    I just got my copper iud a few weeks ago! It seems to be working great, but it was a bit painful getting it in and the next two days I had cramps but now everything is back to normal :) I love the no hormone part :D
    3a/3b Protein sensitive
    Lo-Poo: MOP-C Hydration
    Co-wash TJ's tea tree, suave
    Conditioners: Yes to Cucumbers, TIGI Moisture Maniac
    DT:Ion reconstructor
    Leave-in: Giovanni DLI, Any of my other conditioners.
    Stylers: FSG!, Curl Keeper, HETT mousse, CJ CIAB, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, L'oreal Studio Silky Curls Gel, Deva Set it Free
    I diffuse and use CHS roller jaw clips
    I'm full Chinese and I never knew how to control my unruly hair until now! I <3 this website oh so very much.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    All but $20 of mine was covered by insurance--just check your policy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file