Curious about Ouidad products

I'm trying to be CG, currently using Ouidad products, and going to a Ouidad-curly salon. Results are great, so far!

But then I saw that the Curl Quencher shampoo has ammonium laurel sulfate, and the conditioner has amodimethicone. Doesn't sound CG to me.

My hair is naturally dry, probably 3b/c. How much damage am I doing?
Total Newbie!
Hair: Dry, coarse, porous, 3b/c, dense, and strong-willed

Found a Ouidad salon!
Carve/Slice really lightened up my curls
Hair's really dry - need regular DT
Conditioner got the tangles out!

Results:
Improving

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Right, Ouidad products, for the most part are not CG. It's a different approach to curls and curl care.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • JoliePoetiqueJoliePoetique Posts: 178Registered Users
    I liked Ouidad, but over time, I felt the cone build up. My hair was hard as a rock. I washed with a sulfate and used all natural conditioners and my hair was never softer. At that point I knew I wouldn't go back and was so glad that I used them up. They did help with the frizz, though.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
    Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
    Butters: NONE! :sign6::puker:
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I used Ouidad products at first, but for my med/coarse hair I got protein overload. As mentioned, Ouidad does not fall within the CG outline because of the sulfates and silicones.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • McfrizzyMcfrizzy Posts: 406Registered Users
    lizpiper wrote: »
    I'm trying to be CG, currently using Ouidad products, and going to a Ouidad-curly salon. Results are great, so far!

But then I saw that the Curl Quencher shampoo has ammonium laurel sulfate, and the conditioner has amodimethicone. Doesn't sound CG to me.

My hair is naturally dry, probably 3b/c. How much damage am I doing?

ouidad isnt cg but if it helps control your hair and make it nice then by all means continue to use them
    Lo-poo:organix Shea butter shampoo
    Co-wash: suave coconut
    Rinse out:GFTN/GVP conditioning balm
    Leave in: GF daily care spray leave in
    Serum-like product: still need one
    Gel:LA looks sport gel/ HESMU,GFPC
    Oils: olive, coconut

I think I'm normal-overly porous, medium-thick hair(although I see fine hair too), love protein
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Here are some reviews of Ouidad products.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • kellysmumkellysmum Posts: 167Registered Users
    If you're happy with Ouidad, then stay with it. For me, it was after I jumped in head first and spent $400 on the entire line that I discovered the reason why my hair was so dry and frizzy: cones and sulfates. I gave all my products to my mom and adopted the CG method back in June, and my hair has never been curlier or happier. But like I said, if Ouidad works for you, then stick with it, at least until your products run out.
    Armpit length (dry), middle of back wet, 2c/3a, fine, porous, color-over-gray, normal elasticity. Trying so hard to grow it out.
    CG since June 2011 and loving it so far.
    Product Junkie-love anything CJ. Used to love KT and KCCC, but lately doing nothing for my hair but flattening it.
    Am experimenting with products to see what works for me. Seems like I get different results every day even if I use the same products!
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I luuuuve ouidad! It's in my hair now. I'm not cg so I'm not adverse to use sulfates and some silicones.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    I luuuuve ouidad! It's in my hair now. I'm not cg so I'm not adverse to use sulfates and some silicones.

Me too! Nothing makes my hair happier than Climate Control!!!

I prefer the Quench line. The Balancing rinse felt really waxy in my hair. I also like the Kurly Kids line. The poo is a low poo (ie no sulfates). I'll mix things up once in a while, and I want to try some Curl Junkie when I can afford to but so far Ouidad is the only thing to give me consistant, fuss free results.

I've just gone back to my Ouidad stuff after experimenting for a while. I don't experience a ton of build up because I don't layer products that much. I don't wash every day, but I don't reapply product on the days in between. I either refresh (the climate control does awesome with a spritz) or throw it up.
  • lizpiperlizpiper Posts: 20Registered Users
    Thanks everyone! I'm currently liking the results but am really apprehensive about the sulfates and 'cones.
    I've been doing a Ouidad shampoo to remove the cones, then doing my deep moisture with Jessicurl WDT, then finishing off with the Ouidad Climate Control. So far it's been working, my hair isn't dry and desperate, and the frizz is under control.
    Being curly is so much more work than the straighties have it!
    Total Newbie!
    Hair: Dry, coarse, porous, 3b/c, dense, and strong-willed

Found a Ouidad salon!
    Carve/Slice really lightened up my curls
    Hair's really dry - need regular DT
    Conditioner got the tangles out!

Results:
    Improving
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I initially did the quidad cut and supplies. My hair was good for the first 4 hours then frizzy. I came on this site and learned why those products don't work for me. I get better consistent results with my siggie products.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • LuvinCurls80LuvinCurls80 Posts: 28Registered Users
    +1, the products and cut looked great further afternoon, however, I have been paying the price of that cut for the last 4 months. I'm currently trying to grow my hair out, so it'll be a few more months before I go in for a haircut again (mind you, I got the cut back in November 2010 :-(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file