Tell me about your diffuser...

I am searching DESPERATELY for the same type of diffuse I had in high school. Im hoping that maybe one of you has one like this and can tell me what kind it is and where you got it. I've been keeping my eye out for a diffuser like this for YEARS because it did such an amazing job with my hair, but I haven't come across one. And, now that Im going CG...I REALLY, really, really want to find it!

It was a universal bowl diffuser- looks exactly like the universal bowls you can find in stores/beauty supplies right not, BUT- it had this foam-like layer inside it. Like- it wasn't sponge-foam, but a very coarse, messy mesh what was black and seemed to have a coating of some sort (probably for the heat).

I can't figure out why NO ONE makes diffusers with this all important layer anymore?! The one I finally settled on yesterday is still too powerful and kinda gave me a little frizz, even with the pixie method. The old style truly "diffused" the air so there was ZERO direct shot of ANY kind through the holes of the bowl.

Anyone have one like this? Old or new? (hopefully new so I can buy one!)
2b + 3a curl pattern
fine w/ normal elasticity
My 100 day curl challenge!: Sep. 1 - Dec. 10, 2011

Comments

• CurlyCanadian11CurlyCanadian11 Posts: 125Registered Users
    I have a universal bowl black diffuser but no foam is in it that I can see, its an avanti one hooked to an ancient crappy conair classic 1625 or sumtin...its my grandmas blow dryer that she no longer uses!! it has no cold shot and has independant hot/cold switches but the thing only blows on low and only slightly warm air lol...i=its enough to set gel cast and thats about it...i could hold a kleenex infront of the diffuser and it prolly wouldnt budge so there no movement of anysort in the diffuser and i think thats how it should be! maybe try searching a local thrift store for a crappy old hair dryer? or I will donate you mine lol I have my eye on a ceramic element one!
    2c/3a
    recovering from a chemically straightened nightmare!!
    Going back to my roots (literally!) CG since Aug 2011
    Fine, Thin, damaged, very porous, some elasticity.
    Cleanse:no poo
    Condish: one condition
    Style: Angel, B'leave in
    DT:Heaven in Hair!
    Spritz and Condish!!
    MY NEW HG: FSG and bent root clips with HESMEU hairspray flexible hold
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    The old style truly "diffused" the air so there was ZERO direct shot of ANY kind through the holes of the bowl.

Anyone have one like this? Old or new? (hopefully new so I can buy one!)

Sorry, I've never seen the type of diffuser you're describing, but if you do find a place that sells them, please post. A diffuser that truly diffuses to that extent would be great to have.

Have you contacted any blowdryer manufacturers directly about whether or not they make them or if they know where you could find one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • Sunflower30Sunflower30 Posts: 15Registered Users
    That is too funny! See, it works because it doesn't blow! haha! Id totally be willing to try a donation when you upgrade. hehe!
    2b + 3a curl pattern
  • Sunflower30Sunflower30 Posts: 15Registered Users
    I haven't contacted any manufacturers, but that's a great idea! I want to say the brand was Helen of Troy (if I'm remembering right...its been awhile!). I had to buy a blow dryer that would fit a universal, so I just got a basic conair w/ cool shot and warm/hot settings. You would not BELIEVE the "diffuser" they provided as an attachment! I should take a photo of it! I had to get one at Sally. haha! I don't how/why they are making diffusers so differently now!
    2b + 3a curl pattern

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file