What to use with Uncle Funky's Daughter Magic Gel

I have just received my Uncle Funky's gel in the mail, and am not sure what, if anything, I should combine it with. Any advice from users? Thanks.
Armpit length (dry), middle of back wet, 2c/3a, fine, porous, color-over-gray, normal elasticity. Trying so hard to grow it out.
CG since June 2011 and loving it so far.
Product Junkie-love anything CJ. Used to love KT and KCCC, but lately doing nothing for my hair but flattening it.
Am experimenting with products to see what works for me. Seems like I get different results every day even if I use the same products!

Comments

• moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    Don't use a leave in with heavy oils. You'll get gelly balls. You can try something oil free underneath, similar to knot today. Make sure your hair is really wet when you apply it.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • kellysmumkellysmum Posts: 167Registered Users
    Wow. So it's kind of picky the way KCCC is?
    Armpit length (dry), middle of back wet, 2c/3a, fine, porous, color-over-gray, normal elasticity. Trying so hard to grow it out.
    CG since June 2011 and loving it so far.
    Product Junkie-love anything CJ. Used to love KT and KCCC, but lately doing nothing for my hair but flattening it.
    Am experimenting with products to see what works for me. Seems like I get different results every day even if I use the same products!
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think it's nearly as picky as KCCC is. I really like the Curly Magic gel, although I mostly use it in the low dews (winter/early spring) because it is protein and glycerin free!

It has some hold on its own but I still top with gel because I have very weak waves.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    kellysmum wrote: »
    Wow. So it's kind of picky the way KCCC is?

It's not as picky. I used it with Shea moisture curl milk and it was fine during the winter. You may have to experiment a bit. It actually has a bit of strong hold on my hair, but my hair can hold a set style without too much product anyway.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • cacoanoircacoanoir Posts: 10Registered Users
    I read that it works well with Marie dean products. I just ordered the marie dean lime coconut detangler, curly styling cream and uncle funky so I'll let you know how they work. Keep us updated on what you try and works for you
  • beachcurlbeachcurl Posts: 22Registered Users
    I've used the Marie Dean products all summer and they have worked well with everything. Please let us know how u like the lime detangler. That's one I haven't tried.
    CG since 1st CG book :nike:
    I used the undcm with some cj coffee coco curl creme lite underneath. After scrunching it all in well after about 10 min used the pixie method for about 3 min. Finished my routine and then pixied 2 more min until almost dry. Looked great a little crunchy.
    Got home to find the Marie dean products had arrived (with two large samples!) and too tempted to wait. Used a teeny amount of curl styling cream on my finger tips to scrunch out the crunch a little and SO nice. Smells great too.
    So after using the coconut lime detangler for a few weeks now, my my conclusions are: #1 it must be some caramel brûlée or something scent because it does not smell like coconut or lime but does smell good. #2 it's nice and my hair is soft but not sure it's from the detangler or new styling products.

Definitely like the ufdcm and md curl styler combo or cj cccc combo. Ufdcm alone frizzed too fast though my bf used it on his 3b super thick but short curls and it looked great!

Ufdcm will prob be a repeat buy for me as way less picky than kccc, smells great and I love the pump on the bottle. A simple thing like not taking the lid off the kccc or shaking the mouse bottle is so nice. Also there's no product waste on the outside of the jar. So though it's pricy, I think it will last longer.

I need to find the place online that sells it for free shipping: maybe hairizons.com??

Also, a little annoyed that I live here in LA and would like to go to the md place to see everything and avoid shipping fees but she said not at this time. So may no continue the md as in love with cj daily fix condish for my wash.

I would say overall as much as I love my mousse, my scalp and hair are much softer and not dry with the cj daily fix/md detangler/md curl styler and undcm. I get reliable curls that are frizz free, slightly hard but not too bad and the products just co-wash right out.

Using small amounts of each and really working them through my hair is cheaper than buying 5 products that I hate at the drug store.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file