FSG USERS!!! i have a q!

I find it a pain to store my FSG in the fridge, just read on a random site that it lasts 2 weeks in fridge but still ONE week at room temp...like if I left it on my bathroom counter would it still be good for a week? please help me clarify this!!
2c/3a
recovering from a chemically straightened nightmare!!
Going back to my roots (literally!) CG since Aug 2011
Fine, Thin, damaged, very porous, some elasticity.
Cleanse:no poo
Condish: one condition
Style: Angel, B'leave in
DT:Heaven in Hair!
Spritz and Condish!!
MY NEW HG: FSG and bent root clips with HESMEU hairspray flexible hold

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    FSG goes bad REALLY fast when there are no preservatives in it and you aren't refrigerating it. I tried leaving it out on the counter once when it was totally unpreserved, and it lasted only about four days. If you don't want to use a preservative, you really should keep it in the fridge, or put it in the freezer in single portions. So, the night before you need some, you take it out of the freezer to defrost, and you use it all up the day of your wash. That way, it stays really fresh. :) HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • CurlyCanadian11CurlyCanadian11 Posts: 125Registered Users
    Ty!! but what preservative could I add? I do canning from my garden, but the only preservatives that go in those are natural things like lemon juice or pickling spice!
    2c/3a
    Spritz and Condish!!
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here is IAgirl's blog post on preservatives. It should help get you started.
    science-y hair blog: Preserving Your Homemade Hair Gels
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmm, pickling spice in FSG... Your hair would smell delicious.

Maybe a little alum to keep your hair from getting mushy (totally inside joke).
    I am canning tomatoes at this very minute.

I wrote at a little length about this in my blog - but you might be able to get by for a week with potassium sorbate, vitamin E and citric acid (or ascorbic acid for canning, but not lemon juice). Those aren't all canning supplies, but potassium sorbate is used in making beer or wine or something like that.
    I just finished canning 11 jars of marinara sauce from the roma tomatoes in my garden!!!
    2c/3a
    Spritz and Condish!!
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    So, FSG is something you have to make yourself (there are no commercial versions of it out there)?

And do you only use FSG as a DT or as part of your daily routine?

(I saw that some of you who responded have fine hair, so I'm wondering if by not using FSG I'm missing something that would be really good for my hair type.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    Devushka wrote: »
    So, FSG is something you have to make yourself (there are no commercial versions of it out there)?

(I saw that some of you who responded have fine hair, so I'm wondering if by not using FSG I'm missing something that would be really good for my hair type.)

Oops :) ...Nevermind! :study: Did some research and youtubing, and if I'm understanding correctly, FSG is a styler, not a conditioner as I'd thought. (I had flaxseed oil in my head and figured FSG had to be a condish treatment of some sort.)

Ok, now that I think I get it, I think I'll give FSG a try and see what it does for styling my curls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Devushka wrote: »

You can buy FSG here if you don't want to make it.
    Natural healthy haircare for every hair by BotticelliBotanicals
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • apatt4975apatt4975 Posts: 142Registered Users
    Most use it as a styler and/or in the place of regular hair gel. For example, I use fsg on my two strand twists and to slick my hair down.

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App
    I use FSG after scrunching with towel, on damp hair and I SHELLAC it on, my hair does get weighed down with it, but somehow its curlier!! I scrunch it in then apply a generous amount of devacurl angel over, clip my roots and diffuse....the gel cast is almost instand with this stuff and therefore I can get dressed, eat my breakfast and do make up then SOTC and there isnt much but the FSG gives me really big clumps and I like them separated a lil more! 1 week and 1 day till my CG cut!!
    2c/3a
    Spritz and Condish!!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte

The Jessicurl styling products are also FSG. My understanding is that Jess McGuinty, who was on NaturallyCurly.com at the time, is the person who came up with FSG. She only started making FSG commercially because people here wanted to use but not make it.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    haha YEs I have been chatting with Jess via email, too bad the only salons round here that carry her line are like 40-60 mins drive into DENSE heavy downtown crazy one way streets with foreign drivers craziness!!! I would order online but I need to get back to work and pay down my credit card (eek!) I am currently on maternity leave, so like 1/2 my usual income for last 6 months ugh, life went on credit until I return to work in 1 week *sigh* good to be making money again but will miss my kids soooooo bad!!!
    2c/3a
    Spritz and Condish!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file