True, False or Moderation?

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
As I was looking up some ingredients during the Hurricane Irene (yes, I was almost bored), I was very surprised to find that horsetail and coltsfoot received a sad face from the cosmeticcop. So I looked other places and found the same side effects.

Then, I began to wonder:
1. If the info is false, then people are spreading bad information on herbs that could benefit health and hair.

2. If the info is true, then people are not doing the proper research and just jumping on the "organic" band wagon.

3. Perhaps these herbs can be used in moderation, but then I think of these pharmaceutical commercials about different drugs and their side effects...

4. I have quite a bit of hair products that contain horsetail (not to mention the cost!), and two that contain coltsfoot. These two herbs are towards the top of the label list.

Just when you're beginning to know which products work for your hair, this comes up. But the information has been here for years--I just didn't think to look them up.

What are your thoughts?
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
 *This list is not exhaustive...
CoWash: various
DT: various
Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
Spritz/Sealant:not now
*experimenting and loving it!

Comments

• SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    After years of thinking Henna was horrible I saw some comments here that made me want to investigate more.

I found out that Henna was awesome and a perfect choice for me!

The bad press was due to 'hennas' that were combined with mineral salt dyes (compound henna). All I needed to do was find the pure stuff, which was easy. I had great results, but now know that for some people (especially coarse porous) will end up feeling the henna dried out their hair.

I think that it's easy to think you are helping someone out by stating your beliefs.. but if you believe things without knowing for sure if you are right is really not too responsible. We should remember to use words like 'I think', 'Maybe', or "I read somewhere that..." You should not be fully convinced unless you've used the product yourself. Then of course the results are going to vary person to person too. Being cautious when talking about a product makes a lot of sense. When you're not sure about something, you should say so.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file