Finally proud to be a curly girl!

FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
so its been about two months since ive started to really look after my hair. as i was a child i used to be bullied by other kids bout my curls n colour, im naturally red. i used to HATE my hair thanks to the bullies. it didnt really get better as i got older, so of cause its hard to WANT to look after your hair when your being bullied. i used to die it dark brown which would make it worse.
but i stop using sulfate poo for a few years cause i noticed it make me ichy and kinda stung, so mum bought me a natural one. so now im 18 and in a new country, (Germany) and the last time i died my hair was last early last year.
so now thanks to talking to all you beautiful curlies and getting advice im proud to be curly AND red. Taking care of my hair is somthing i now LOVE.
has any one else had a similar experiences? :toothy8:

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
my hair loves conditioner only styling!
Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
:hello1:

Comments

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm curly and red, too! Almost the same story - used to dye it brown, used to always straighten, etc!

I got over that years ago, (except for the straightening - but that was for low-maintenance) but I do know what you mean!!

Glad you are embracing your natural self!!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    woow nice :) feels better just being ya self ay? i used to hate ppl staring at me..... i still do but im now guessing that i have to get used to it

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    So weird to hear that your hair being red on top of being curly caused you trouble. I kind of thing of red, curly hair as something right out of a Renaissance painting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    I'm a red head curlie too.. congrats on accepting your natural beauty!

We are a rare breed and I know deep down many people covet our hair.. it can truly be amazingly beautiful if well cared for.. look at all those renaissance paintings.. the beautiful ladies with long red curly locks.. :)

Smile and enjoy and be proud!
    that just all made me smile :) yea im wanting to grow it out nice n long like queen elizabeth :)

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Wow, all these redheads! It's so awesome!! You don't see a lot of us redheaded-curlies around. It's nice that there are so many of us on the boards! I think it's great that you've accepted your natural hair, Fmashur. :D It's so inspiring for me and others when someone finally accepts their curls! Self-acceptance rocks. ;)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm one of the people who covets curly red hair. I've always longed for it. Glad you finally like yours.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    yep :) i thought i was the only one, feels really good though to see others love us all! :)

• CurlyCamKCurlyCamK Posts: 1Registered Users
    I am a curly girl too! Growing up I was so embarassed by my curls because I was tricked by the media to believe that thin blonde hair was beautiful. All my friends had blonde straight hair and since mine was different it was "gross." As I grew up I learned that beauty comes from within. I love my long thick curly hair no matter what the model's hair looks like on the magazine covers in the grocery store when I'm checking out. God blessed me with my unique beautiful curly locks so I'm going to flaunt my best feature every single day with pride.
  • EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    Well I don’t have red hair and I didn’t get teased but when I was growing up I never wanted to wear my hair curly in fact I hated it because it was thick, long and difficult to manage. I didn’t know how to care for it and what products to use and it was such a hassle, I use to want naturally straight hair. I decided instead to flat iron it to death, and even though it looked good over the years I began to notice a lot of breakage at the ends, split ends and dryness. It took me a while to give up the heat realize that I had heat damage and then I began to learn how to take care of my hair and what to use on my curls. It has been a journey of trial and error but after about a year of wearing my hair naturally curly most of the time my hair is moisturized, strong, soft and shiny and it has reached waist length. I have learned to embrace my curls finally.
  • Knotty_MaddyKnotty_Maddy Posts: 518Registered Users
    Fmasuhr wrote: »
    woow nice :) feels better just being ya self ay? i used to hate ppl staring at me..... i still do but im now guessing that i have to get used to it

Did you ever think they were all staring because your hair is so gorgeous and they were jealous ;)

Or maybe that people staring was all in your head, and just a part of your fear/inhibitions...

Whatever, you are lovely and your hair is gorgeous, be *proud!* I hated my hair for years, although people used to tell me - "you're crazy, I paid so much for a perm so I could look like you - " took me a long time to understand people were actually *jealous* of my hair! lol!
    Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
    S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
    My hair officially hates protein ;) Once a month is enough!
    Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay! :D
    BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
    Fmasuhr wrote: »

Did you ever think they were all staring because your hair is so gorgeous and they were jealous ;)

Or maybe that people staring was all in your head, and just a part of your fear/inhibitions...

Whatever, you are lovely and your hair is gorgeous, be *proud!* I hated my hair for years, although people used to tell me - "you're crazy, I paid so much for a perm so I could look like you - " took me a long time to understand people were actually *jealous* of my hair! lol!

ive accepted it now :) n everyone tells me how much work i must put into it, which makes me feel great as well, when people see how much work it is. work helps now, i get same sort of complicments every day, even on a bad hair day when i wear it in a bun. :iconbiggrin: you do have gorgeous hair alot longer then mine :laughing9:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file