Question about Scrunching out the Crunch

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
If you use products to get "soft" curls, do you still SOTC when it is dry? Do you use a product, just your hands, or extra water?

I
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i make up a solution of green tee tea tree and abit of honey, i have it in a spray bottle n when ever i get a bit of product crunch i just give my hair a good spray then gently go through it when my fingers, works everytime! plus it gives added moisture :)

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for responding Fmasuhr! I might try the honey with a tiny bit of sweet almond oil. I'm trying not to buy additional products because I'm out of a job but that combo might work well as a 2nd or even 3rd (hope hope) day idea.

I actually don't have any crunch - but I find that if I don't scrunch the soft curls, they don't unfurl enough to give any volume. So I scrunch out the non-crunch. Of course in high dews I have the reverse problem - they don't hold their shape.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • itsiliiiitsiliii Posts: 340Registered Users
    I always use a dab of coconut oil when i scrunch out the crunch ^.^ it leaves my hair soft and shiny!
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Posts: 236Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use coconut oil or argan oil.
    If a "soft curl" product has been used on my hair (my stylist tends to use these when she does my hair) I usually just modify the amount I use since she either doesn't use an oil or she uses the Jane Carter Nourish & Shine which is not my favorite product at all.

In order to get the "big hair" that I love to rock, I usually scruch my hair anyway to get the volume going.

One of the key things to SOTC is making sure you don't use too much product and/or too much manipulation whereby you end up ruining your curl definition.
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for responses! :icescream:

I used products for "soft" curls today and SOTC without using anything and I'm having a great hair day. But I think that's because the dews are at just the right level. I definitely like the idea of adding a little shine with a touch of oil.
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    I don't use anything to SOTC, myself. For me, using oils or any other products or even water ruins my curl and either makes me frizz (water) or weighs down my curls and makes my hair feel over-producty (oils). SO... I just SOTC, usually upside-down, with dry hands - but, I have to wait until it's completely dry. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    I use a dab of castor oil on my hands and just kind of fluff to soften up my curls if they end up too crunchy, but most times I just let it soften on its own so that I can get multiple day hair.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file