Does this qualify as "low poo"? Gentle?

rheostaticsfanrheostaticsfan Posts: 79Registered Users
I know that as per Massey low poo is just sulfate free and it is that. But is this gentle/non-drying/non-irritating?

It's a "shampoo base" available from a company called "New Directions Aromatics" that sells soap/lotion etc making supplies.

Water Decyl Glucoside Acrylates Copolymer Cocamidopropyl Betaine Coco Glucoside Glyceryl Oleate DMDM Hydantoin Citric Acid Triethanolamine

I know that DMDM Hydantoin is a formaldehyde releaser and therefore irritating to some. Any other red flags in there?
2a(?)/F/ii (Fia).
New to having waves. Don't care if it's curly or not but this surface frizz drives me NUTS.
Baby Fine. On the thin side of average. Low porosity.
Atopic dermatitis/eczema. Too many allergies and sensitivities to count.

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cocamidopropyl betaine makes my eyelids red and itchy.

It's probably going to leave you with that "squeaky clean" feeling because that's how the glucoside surfactants seems to be. At too-high concentrations, they actually can also be drying/make hair swell too much and therefore suddenly very porous, but even when you dilute them a lot so they're mild, they still leave that feeling behind.

Do/will they sell sample sizes?
  • rheostaticsfanrheostaticsfan Posts: 79Registered Users
    Thanks, IAGirl for responding!

I've asked them and they have agreed to sell me a sample (yay). The cocamidopropyl betaine is at 1%-3% according to the MSDS. The studies I can find online suggest no irritation at 3%. Of course, individuals are different than populations.

I've gotten used to assessing my face (eyelids, temples and neck) for irritation. I also assess frizz and dry feeling in my hair when it's dry and contains no product. Would those two assessments be enough? Or SHOULD I worry about whether it feels squeeky clean?

By the way, if/when I dilute shampoo, must it only be in water? Or could I dilute in water and a thickener? I must say that while dilute shampoo works well, I find it somewhat annoying to deal with in the shower.
    2a(?)/F/ii (Fia).
    New to having waves. Don't care if it's curly or not but this surface frizz drives me NUTS.
    Baby Fine. On the thin side of average. Low porosity.
    Atopic dermatitis/eczema. Too many allergies and sensitivities to count.
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey, in an amazing coincidence, I added a shampoo post to my blog today!

I can get away with very small amounts of cocamidopropyl betaine, but not when there's a lot of it.
    I think that shampoo will leave you with pretty decent-feeling hair. Glyceryl oleate is a "refatting" agent and the combination of surfactants might give it a nice after-feel. Some shampoos leave you with that rough/straw-like feeling - if a normal amount conditioner doesn't fix it, I'd be worried!

I dilute shampoos (concentrated detergents, anyhow) all the time with water, a thickener, and glycerin (for more bubbles - optional). Xanthan gum can probably be found locally and it works very well (thicken the water with xanthan gum then gently stir in the shampoo or you'll have a foam-over). I'd use boiled water to sterilize it. Usually it takes about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum per cup of liquid.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Massey or Mastey? My daughter who is a diver for a swim team and has fine, curly hair uses the Mastey Traite and likes it a lot. It had too much protein for me.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file