question about sls and cones...

Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Ok. So I'm working toward CG (haven't been able to find replacements for all my products yet!), so am right now modified CG. (I may stay that way, to a lesser extent.)

So here's my question - and I'm actually literally asking this, not trying to "make a point" or anything -

What's wrong with lightening up your cone usage a good deal, co-washing, and using a mild SLS shampoo once or twice a week? (Like perhaps a baby shampoo that SLS is the 3rd or 4th on the list).

Would that still be overly drying? Would the cones cause problems even though you are removing them with SLS once or twice a week? Do cones still "suffocate" your hair if you are removing them that way?

I was on the CG path, but went away for the weekend and have not yet been able to find product replacements for everything. (THe curl activator spray has been the biggest hold out!) So I washed with a baby shampoo with mild SLS when I got home. (it had no lather, and my hair does not feel stripped right now).

I'm still planning on CGing it, or at least a mod CG, but I wanted to know what problems that would cause. (the mild SLS 1-2 times a week, used with low-cones.)

THanks!
2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
Seal - MO or Jojoba
DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing

Comments

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    Ok, first, whether you want to be CG or mod-CG or Not CG is totally your own choice. Lots of users are mod-CG (including me), and many are not CG at all because it works for them. It's not about being CG, it's about doing what works for your hair.

The thing about silicones, from what I've read and understand, it that they don't "suffocate" the hair per say, but they do build up on the hair and cause dullness and dryness over time. Because you need sulfates to remove them, the silicone/sulfate cycle is hard to break.

What helped illustrate the effects of sulfates for me was IAgirl's pics of hair under a microscope. The hairs that were washed in sulfate shampoos tended to have raised and ruffled cuticles. This showed me that sulfates have the ability to help hair become damaged over time. So, for the long run, I try to avoid sulfates and cones for this reason.

So. There are lots of drugstore options if you really want to go some form of CG. If you put in 'drugstore products' or something to that effect into the search bar, you will find reviews of CG drugstore products that are neither expensive nor time-consuming or difficult to find.

That is, if you do decide to go some sort of CG. Hair should not cause too much frustration or anxiety. What works for your hair works for your hair, and that's that.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file