Haircut advice needed!

It's taken 3 years to get my thick 2c/3a to BSL, I've had lots of trims and I it was looking good, or so I thought. Then I saw the pictures from a wedding i was at a few weeks ago, and my hair looks awful in the photos! I guess I was so fixated on getting it long that I didn't realize it doesn't actually suit me. Even my DH is saying cut it. So I have an appointment Friday with my stylist (no Deva trained ones in Vancouver, but she's good with curls and I trust her) and I'm thinking shoulder length or maybe shorter. Anyone have any ideas for a cute style? Maybe a bob? I've been scouring the gallery looking for pics to take with but haven't found anything. Anyone have a pic you can include with your suggestion? Thanks in advance :)
2c/3a, medium/coarse, normal porosity, normal elasticity
CG and covering the grey!

Comments

• curlyloxnvcurlyloxnv Posts: 130Registered Users
    Sigh......anyone??

I'm such a thread killer. And I can't even get an answer to my own! I may have to make a graceful exit and return to lurking, I must be doing something wrong...... :(
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's sometimes hard to get a response on this forum, I've noticed. (I am a long time lurker who just started posting, too.). I think that's true of a lot of forums when you first get started there.

As for your question... I'd start with shoulder length and layers. You can always go shorter!

But then I haven't seen your hair, so it's hard to say.

Good luck! You should post a before and after pic!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think if you post a picture of yourself (face and hair) you'll get more responses.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Thanks for the replies! I can't seem to upload pics from my phone or I would add pictures.

On my iPhone. Excuse typos.
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    Perhaps you shouldn't go by photos (or even your well-meaning husband). My hair doesn't really photograph well, so I've got to just start trusting what I see in the mirror. If you like what you see, go with that.

But if you do decide to cut it, I'd follow Jas76's suggestion about only cutting off some and then go shorter in stages if you decide you really need to.

Finally, of course it's different for everyone depending on their taste, hair texture, face shape, etc., but lots of curlies find it good to have their hair in layers to avoid the "broom" look of all-one-length hair. Again, it's different for each person, so go with what YOU want. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My BFF recommended Hairstyles | Haircuts | Hair Cuts | Hairdos | Hair Styles. If you find a few pictures you like, you can take them with you to your stylist. She'll be able to tell you if the styles will look good on you and work with your hair type.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • maydewmaydew Posts: 51Registered Users
    Feel for you on the thread killer Curlyloxnv, we all want to feel part of something and respected, guess your question plus a pic is quite difficult to respond to, without knowing your face shape, texture etc. You are your own best judge we know when we look the best we can and if you think your hair was awful in the photos then perhaps you should be thinking about doing something with it. You have tried it longer know maybe try something different, an exciting challenge.:happy11:
    Still experimenting!
    Hair 2c+3a?
    Mainly coarse and porous.
    Curl Junkie/Jessica Curls Cleanser/Aussie Shampoo
    CO-Alternating Garnier Fructus Shine and Repair, Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose and Tresemme Oganic conditioner
    LI-Garnier Shine and Repair
    Style-Experimenting Boots Curl Creme, Umberto Giannini Shapely Mousse
    I guess I'm just anxious about going short after the pain of growing out. What I was really asking for was reassurance from Curlies who have gone shorter and are happy with it. Thanks for the replies. I did find several old threads on this, so now I'm skulking back to lurkdom.....
    NO! Don't "sulk back to lurkdom"!!!! First of all, you have to tell us how the haircut went! ;)

I guess I can't help you much, since I've never had short hair. (Once in college I cut it just above shoulder length - but I also straightened it most of the time.)

So I'll stick to my earlier advice - if you are feeling un-easy about it, go around shoulder length and add layers. You can always go shorter, and that's an easy style to grow back out. (You can also still pull it back, etc, like you are probably used to now.) It's a good way to test out what you will like.

I did have a friend who went from long to fairly short and didn't like it - only because she was so used to pulling her hair back, etc when she didn't feel like doing it that day, or it wasn't cooperating.

But I've also known people who loved it that way, and felt it made their life much easier, too!

So I say baby-step it. But again, as someone else mentioned, this is YOUR hair, and you have to decide what you want!

As long as your stylist is a good one, you'll look great with their guidance!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also feel that you should not cut too much off - at least in the beginning. Just cut a couple of inches off and see how you like it. You can always cut more off later.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going for collarbone length, should still be long enough for a ponytail, with long layers. As you probably noticed I'm not very good at explaining myself so I thought taking a pic with would help. I've looked thru all the hair sites but they're all too styled (or straight). I would still love to find a good photo from someone who has similar length. Can't wait for Friday's appt, I'm so looking forward to cutting it off!!

• denise3099denise3099 Posts: 17Registered Users
    I really dig Lorraine Massey's cut in her curly girl book. I would also check out the threads that have everyone posting their pics. The 3b thread of people posting their curls is awesome. Go to the threads for your hairtype and see if there is a similar thread. This is my second post but I've been lurking for a month!

Btw, I don't think that the longest hair "wins," you know. I think you want hair that is healthy and flattering to you. Cutting it might really free the texture and let your curls fly. Good luck.
    curlyloxnv wrote: »
    I guess I'm just anxious about going short after the pain of growing out. What I was really asking for was reassurance from Curlies who have gone shorter and are happy with it. Thanks for the replies. I did find several old threads on this, so now I'm skulking back to lurkdom.....

I'm in the process of growing my hair out, too. I got my first curly cut just this past Saturday and am really happy with it -- BUT, I think it helped that I was very clear with the stylist (who has tons of experience working with curly hair) that I didn't want to lose a lot of length because I'm trying to grow my hair out (to mid-back probably). But then again, I also just had to accepted that he'd have to take off some hair in order to meet my request to start blending my bangs (which I *really* want to grow out) in with the rest of my hair. He did a really good job with creating layers that do well with my curl pattern, and with leaving me with enough length that I can pull it back into a ponytail if I just need to run out quickly to buy milk or something. I'm very happy with the results.

I think baby steps will help a lot as far as low risk of leaving you with something that doesn't work for you. I hope you've got a good stylist who'll listen to your ideas/concerns and will work with you to give you something you're happy with. Good luck! (And post an after pic!) :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've never gone quite that short but have had it shoulder length many times. I hear you about the hair not suiting you, and not really being mindful of that as we try to grow out. I look back on some pics when I was growing out after a horrible haircut-- I was scared to go back and couldn't find a good stylist-- and I think how horrible my hair looked! :eek: I usually keep my hair around shoulder-length in front tapering a bit longer in back, it's more flattering on me (I'm petite).

Good luck! have fun Friday!
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the replies! I can't seem to upload pics from my phone or I would add pictures.

In a reply, use the insert button in the top right corner. You can upload a pic from your albums.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Well I did it, inches chopped off and I feel 10 lbs lighter! My stylist was reluctant at first, she's seen how hard it was to grow out, but we were both happy with the result!

(sorry took the pictures out)

Thanks for everyone's input!

• solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Looks great! You had a lot of bulk in your hair--no wonder you feel lighter! It's a very flattering cut and it still looks long.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    Well I did it, inches chopped off and I feel 10 lbs lighter! My stylist was reluctant at first, she's seen how hard it was to grow out, but we were both happy with the end result!

Before...adb748c6-600a-aa7b.jpg

And after!adb748c6-6026-acfe.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input!

Your before pic was really nice actually. But your after pic is fantastic, too!! Very happy for you that it turned out so well. :)
    Thanks! I still want shorter, but baby steps...

Very cute!!! I could see you go jaw length next time, even! But I think it looks great!!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it looks great, and I love the new length on you!! Very flattering. :love1:
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Goodness, it looks amazing! Your hair looks (and probably feels) so much lighter and freer! :) It really looks amazing!! I love the new cut.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • pixiepixie Posts: 140Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Love your new cut, really suits you:flower:
    2a/f//ii (fia)
    Normal elasticity, Normal porosity, Fine texture
    Low poo L'oreal eversleek,
    Co wash Keracare
    RO Tresemme Naturals, DB pumpkinseed, Giovanni 2chic a&o
    Stylers BRHG, Volumax Mega gel, Darcy's Botanicals ccg, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam, FSG, Camille Rose Curl Maker, Keracare Custard
    Thank you! :)

• RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, wow - it looks terrific! I think the length of the before shot was fine, but the reduced bulk of the after shot really plays up your pretty face. Congrats on a great cut!

Sent from my iPhone using the CurlTalk app!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

I should have tried for a back view. My long hair was tapered in a "v" so the back was about 3-4 inches longer than the front, and even bulkier. Now the back is slightly inverted so much shorter. It is taking some getting used to. I have to refigure my routine now :)

I'd love to see pics of the back too! :) It looks great! Although your hair was beautiful before, I do agree that the shorter cut is more flattering. Seems the same for me. Maybe it's the face framing shorter layers? Whatever, it works!
  • CurlyCanadian11CurlyCanadian11 Posts: 125Registered Users
    LOVE IT!!!! in ur first pic, it is realy difficult to appreciate your gorgeous cheek bones due to your hair being so full in that area, now the bulk has been lightened up and your beauty truly shines thru!! great decision!
    2c/3a
    recovering from a chemically straightened nightmare!!
    Going back to my roots (literally!) CG since Aug 2011
    Fine, Thin, damaged, very porous, some elasticity.
    Cleanse:no poo
    Condish: one condition
    Style: Angel, B'leave in
    DT:Heaven in Hair!
    Spritz and Condish!!
    MY NEW HG: FSG and bent root clips with HESMEU hairspray flexible hold
    Thank you!! (blush!)

So it took a few days for the hair shock to wear off, now a week later and it's back to curling up and I'm really happy with it :)

Thank you!! (blush!)

So it took a few days for the hair shock to wear off, now a week later and it's back to curling up and I'm really happy with it :)

New pics please? with the back too? :D

I showed my sis when she was over the other day and she said, "Wow, what a difference!" because it really does bring out your pretty features. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file