Alternative to Eco Styler Krystal?

Hello beautiful curlies!!

I recently tried, and fell in love with, Eco Styler Krystal. My hair usually isn't too picky about what I put in it, but I think that the protein in the ESK is drying out my hair. . . the back especially has been feeling kind of dry and yucky :(

I absolutely love everything else about this gel. . . gives me great definition and hold. Any suggestions for an alternative?
Northeastern PA Curly, Type 2C/3A

Co-wash: Suave Tropical Coconut, Suave Aloe and Waterlily
RO/LI: Tresemme Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Cure Care
Stylers: Spring/Summer- Queen Helene Royal Curl, EcoStyler Krystal/Argan Oil Fall/Winter- AG re:coil, AORR, JCCC, Hoity Toity Natural Hair Styling Gel, HESMU, Aussie Instant Freeze

Check out my YouTube channel and subscribe!!!!
www.youtube.com/user/JennaSings509

Comments

• jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    I had the same issue w/ Krystal. I had to use TONS of leave-in under it to combat that dryness, which then left my hair kind of limp and stringy by mid-day.

Have you tried the Eco w/ Argan Oil? My hair loves this one, and I don't notice the same dryness problems I had w/ Krystal. I haven't done an in-depth comparison of all the ingredients, I just know it works better and I get good hair days with it.

The nice thing about the Eco gels is that if they don't work, you aren't out much money, just stuck w/ a huge container! Good luck : )
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    +1 on the Ecostyler Argan oil. I find I don't get as much frizz or dryness with it as i do with the Krystal.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you sure it's the protein and not the glycerin? Or it could be a combo of the two I suppose.

I get the clumpy, grabbiness from CJ Aloe Fix Lite and the same feeling from the regular version but couldn't get it to work in my hair!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got a tub of the Ecostyler Argan and I was surprised that with such a very slight ingredient difference that it gave such different results.

The Argan gave me very soft hair and I kept using more and more hoping to get good hold but I did not. Added some of the Krystal and then it was really good!

So, based on my limited experience I'd say if you are looking for more moisture, the Argan version would be one to try!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • CurlySingsCurlySings Posts: 27Registered Users
    thanks, ladies! I went looking at my local Sally's yesterday for the Eco Styler with Argan Oil, but they only carry the Krystal. . . going to go back today to see if they can maybe special order some for me, though :)
    Northeastern PA Curly, Type 2C/3A

Co-wash: Suave Tropical Coconut, Suave Aloe and Waterlily
    RO/LI: Tresemme Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Cure Care
    Stylers: Spring/Summer- Queen Helene Royal Curl, EcoStyler Krystal/Argan Oil Fall/Winter- AG re:coil, AORR, JCCC, Hoity Toity Natural Hair Styling Gel, HESMU, Aussie Instant Freeze

Check out my YouTube channel and subscribe!!!!
    www.youtube.com/user/JennaSings509
  • drummerswife24drummerswife24 Posts: 27Registered Users
    Try KCCC. I've been using in place of my Eco Styler Olive oil Gel. It holds like gel and adds shine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file