Rant-a-rooni

hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
Uggghhh I'm just soooooooooo sick of my hair!!! I feel like it's just looking so crappy lately; like I don't even waves, just weird bendy hair. I don't know if I need I hair cut but I'm trying to save up money to get it done and color too since I haven't done any color since March. I can't really afford to buy any products either.

Ok, here's what I've been doing style-wise for a while (it includes a lot of scrunching!). I wash my hair then do a final cool-water rinse and start push my hair into it's part and scrunch into shape. I turn off the water and scrunch some excess water out then scrunch in some KCKT. I usually add some Styling Mudd after and wait about 5-7 minutes then scrunch in some KCCC and start pixie diffusing. After about a half hour, I add in some La Bella Sports Gel and do a bit more pixie'ing and then that's it. I also use a little LOOB to just tweak the ends. I can't do upside down styling 'cause it gives me majorly poofy hair so I stopped IceQueening. Any suggestions on my techniques?

I've been doing weekly PT's and was hoping that would give me stronger waves but I haven't noticed too much of a difference. I'm tempted to give up and just go back to straightening/blowing out weekly but I really don't want to damage my hair. I'm also going to grow it back out some. I guess I'm just really unhappy with my hair at the moment and thank you to anyone who's listened/read this rant!! I know it's just hair and I should let it go but I want nice hair!! :angel3:
2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
- Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Wavy BrunetteWavy Brunette Posts: 111Registered Users
    I'm sorry your hair hasn't been cooperating with you :( Do you think it could be the KCCC? KCCC doesn't work for me too well unless I scrunch the KCKT in soaking wet drippy hair, then the KCCC. I have tried it in hair with water squeezed out and it doesn't work as well, it can be very finicky stuff! I've also tried it on top of another gel and it didn't like that either. I get inconsistent results with it and only use it sometimes because of that. This video is great at showing how to apply KCCC if you haven't seen it already.

Kinky-Curly Styling Video
    2b , waves and some spirals
    Med/Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Low Elasticity

Sulfate/Silicone Free Since Jan 2011 :)

Low Poo- CJ Curl Assurance, SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    RO - Y2C, CJ Beauticurls, GVPCB, SM Restorative Conditioner,
    Stylers- Homemade FSG, KCC, BRHG
    HG Techniques- Spritz and Condish, Icequeen method, plopping
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    Whoa, you use a ton of products on your hair at once. Maybe you need to just use one or two? When I used that many products on my hair it looked and felt terrible.

Also, KCCC doesn't take too kindly to being mixed/layered with other products.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    When I wash my hair next, I'm thinking of skipping the KCCC. I know I use a lot of products but when I don't use enough, I barely get any definition or waves. It's a fine line I guess!! I'm interested in trying curling spray gel maybe instead of the La Bella but we'll see. Thanks for the replies!!!

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

Maybe you need a mega PT. Does your hair get curlier with PTs?
    Maybe you need a mega PT. Does your hair get curlier with PTs?

Maybe? My waves just aren't that strong. What would you define as a "mega PT"? A part of me is also upset that I cut my hair. I am truly so indecisive with my hair and always have been. When it's short, I wanna grow it and when it's long all I wanna do is cut it. I need hair therapy!!! lol

Stylers-

• CurlyCanadian11CurlyCanadian11 Posts: 125Registered Users
    After having my son i just tied mine up for about 4 months. I was too busy with thr kids and totally missed my usual keritan straightning treatment... I didnt have the money anyways with being off work so i decided to wait till just before i am due back... I have decided to leave it and each day is a challenge i hear ya!!!

Try going back to basics - cleanse with a low poo or cowash then follow with a nice rich n creamy conditioner tilt forward n scrunch with condish in hair so u can hear it like seaweed!! Rinse n all while scrunching

Make sure ur not too rough with microfiber towel and scrunch summore then look at ur styling products.... Do u need moisture? Hold? Frizz fighting? Shape? Carefully look at ur products and pick ONE that you think fits yiur criteria... This is ur new starting point! Dry your hair how u like and then decide do u like fininshed product? If not whats wrong? Not enough hold, too much or too little product? Too much hold? Maybe the type of solutions you are using ( thick globby pastes) are not for you! Try a light gel or curl cream or make some flax seed gel!!! (super cheap!) you can repeat this process almost daily in search of your "happy hair" moment!! Its better to try the product route first and if after a month or two if u still arent making ANY progress then it may be time to consider a cut! Im totally feelin ur pain hang in there!!!!

Oh forgot to mention maybe you need a good cleanse to kick thing off like a clarifying shampoo or apple cider vinegar rinse!
    HTH!
    2c/3a
    recovering from a chemically straightened nightmare!!
    Going back to my roots (literally!) CG since Aug 2011
    Fine, Thin, damaged, very porous, some elasticity.
    Cleanse:no poo
    Condish: one condition
    Style: Angel, B'leave in
    DT:Heaven in Hair!
    Spritz and Condish!!
    MY NEW HG: FSG and bent root clips with HESMEU hairspray flexible hold
    Well when I do a PT once a week, I use IAgirl's gelatin recipe, and I leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing. That ensures I get maximum curl.

I also benefit from a clarifying wash every once in a while, but you probably do that already.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree that you should cut back on the products and sort of go back to the basics.

low poo or cowash, rinse out, leave-in (could try skipping), ONE curl enhancer and gel.

I find that if I try to use too many products my hair rebels and feels super gunky and consequently doesn't wave very well.

What PT do you use? Do you follow with a DT? Have the dews been weird lately?
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

I actually did a sulfate wash today. I think I"m going to try to cut back a bit on the products and see what happens. Maybe I'll just go back to the Styling Mudd and La Bella. Asianrunner, I'm using Renpure Organics PT and Pantene Curly Moisturizing Mask (don't remember the full name). Neither are actually CG but since I low-poo I thought I'd be ok. I'm wondering if I still need the RI but I was noticing less crunch when I used it compared to when I wasn't. Hmmm. Thanks for the advice!! Keep it coming!!!

Stylers-

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Pick one thing to change at a time!
    Mountaincurl - 30 minutes with the gelatin PT? Holy Jello! I've GOT to try that. I'd call that intense.
    You could try that.
    All the humectants... in the mudd, the KCCC, the LALSG. Way too heavy and gummy and bound to be leaving multiple residues on your hair. When I get that, I strip way back to the very barest basics of non-build-up-y things.
    I understand getting frustrated, but you could channel your frustration into some sort of method/methodical plan by which you figure out what is causing the problem and which things work well.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Mountaincurl - 30 minutes with the gelatin PT? Holy Jello! I've GOT to try that. I'd call that intense.
    I usually do 20-30 minutes, but have gone as long as an hour. For me the blow dry method is the hardest hit.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • curlywhocurlywho Posts: 119Registered Users
    I'm having weird bendy-hair issues too. I also use KCCC. I wonder if that's it. I do a pt at least twice a week, so I don't think that's my problem. Let me know if anything works for you.
    Hair Properties:
    2b/3a
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Thick
    Loves Protein, hates oil of any kind, takes FOREVER to dry.

Products:
    (I mix and match depending on the day)
    Occasional Low-poo: Burt's Bees
    Conditioner: GCP
    Ecostyler Gel
    CIAB
    As I am Curling Jelly

Recently Purchased:
    Rockin Ringlets
    Curl Keeper
    Confident Coils

Microfiber Plop (10 mins)
    Super-soaker
    Diffuse-dry
  • qimissungqimissung Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found out that too many products ruin my waves/curls too. I simply can't use KCCC it really weighed my hair down. I would just stick with the Styling mudd and if you need more hold add a little honey to it and maybe a little mag sulphate to enhance your waves. Hang in there!!
    PS Let the mudd sit on your hair a little while before scrunching, to let some water leave and don't scrunch too much it ends up squeezing all the waves and product out.
    Fine cherub curls. LUS brand user. That's all I need!
    Thanks everyone!!! I'm gonna be washing my in a little while and I'm definitely going to try less product. I'm also going to try qimissung's advice and let the Mudd sit in my hair for a bit before I pixie diffuse. I'll post my results later!!!!!!!:love7:

Stylers-

Well, my hair is in the midst of drying. I did a PT and an ACV rinse in the shower. When I got out, I scrunched some of the water out and added a small amount of KCKT and Styling Mudd then left it alone for about 10 minutes before I did some pixie diffusing. I clipped my roots up in hopes for a little volume and added a small amount of the La Bella gel. Now I'm letting it sit for a few minutes while I eat. I'm not really noticing too much improvement and my waves are still kinda just bendy pieces. Maybe my hair just isn't meant to be wavy; they just seem so weak and I've been mod CG for a while now. I was hoping more regular PTs would help but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I'm just reaching the end of my hair rope :mad:

Stylers-

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KCKT may be light and oil free, but it would weigh my hair down quickly because it is largely Benehtrimonium methosulfate and cetyl/cetearyl alcohol. That first one is one that will bond to the hair and cause build-up. For some people, it's no problem. For those of us with silky-fine hair, it can truly weigh down and kill waves. It makes my hair actually feel heavy.
    I've switched to using conditioners without cationics and my hair is very happy. My naked hair is *frizzy* but it's also bouncy and buoyant and so I'm happy.
    This is an example of a conditioner without cationics (which can really only be classified as cream rinses):BGA Protein + Strengthening Cream Rinse 11oz
    possibly this one Swimmer's Normalizing Conditioner for Active Lifestyles 11oz

Other Aubrey organics have a lot of alcohol for preservative and that's not ideal. I'll be on the lookout for other brands.
    I might have spoken (typed!) a bit too soon before. I took the clips out and I actually was surprised....my hair had a few decent waves. Still not 100% great but better than before so it's a start! I guess I just need a lot less product which is totally fine. I might try to do 2 PTs a week and see what happens there as well. Again, thanks for all the help/advice!!!!!!!!!:alien:

Stylers-

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well if it makes you feel better I have days where I wonder if I'm actually a wavy and not just a person with a few very slight waves that likes to pouf out. I never get any curly pieces or ringlets in the humidity, just giant pouf.

My hair feels coarse to the touch but is considered medium textured. I totally get hair envy when I look at pics here!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Well if it makes you feel better I have days where I wonder if I'm actually a wavy and not just a person with a few very slight waves that likes to pouf out. I never get any curly pieces or ringlets in the humidity, just giant pouf.

My hair feels coarse to the touch but is considered medium textured. I totally get hair envy when I look at pics here!

I get terrible hair envy too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stylers-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file