HELP with dry, itchy scalp.

I just moved to NYC from FL and of course my 3b hair is going kinda nuts....but my scalp is the worst!! I usually go 2-3 days between washing, but since the move I can only go one day before the dry itchiness becomes unbearable. I've tried Selsen Blue and other dandruff shampoos to no avail...my hair is otherwise thick and healthy, so what can I do to moisturize this poor scalp of mine??
"Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica

Comments

• FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    have you tried a scalp scrub? you can easily make it, brown sugar, bit of honey, tea tree oil and joboja or argan oil. applie it to your wet scalp and gently message it in leave it for a bit to let the oils do there thing then wash it out with warm water. i always do a final rinse with either cold water or green tea :) give it ago :)

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Have you tried co-washing? Maybe adding that extra bit of moisture closer to the scalp will make a difference.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • itsiliiiitsiliii Posts: 340Registered Users
    Have you tried co-washing? Maybe adding that extra bit of moisture closer to the scalp will make a difference.

I second this, my scalp used to itch like crazy and flaked tons but the moment I became CG I've had my scalp become super healthy ^.^
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Yes, CG has helped my scalp too. I used to have a chronically itchy scalp, to the point that it hurt. I tried the Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo, tried oiling my scalp, and still no difference. Then late last year I started the CG method and I haven't looked back since. My scalp has never felt better.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    Thank you ladies, for the advice, I am just SO scared to try co-washing, it all sounds so complicated! :pale: I feel like not using shampoo will make my scalp even itchier...maybe i will so some more research!
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you ladies, for the advice, I am just SO scared to try co-washing, it all sounds so complicated! :pale: I feel like not using shampoo will make my scalp even itchier...maybe i will so some more research!

no need to be scared. Cowashing is simply massaging in your conditioner on your scalp like you would do with your shampoo. Just make sure to use the pads of your fingers and not your fingernails to massage it in!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    and does your scalp really get clean?? i just have such a hard time imagining this lol

• oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    Hehe, a lot of people find it to be a weird concept at first but it DEFINITELY works. You do need to use a lighter conditioner, though -- I suggest Suave Naturals, Yes To Carrots, something along those lines. :) Just scrub your scalp with it, using your fingertips NOT your nails, scrub all over for about 2 or 3 minutes? Then rinse it out. And then go back and apply a thicker conditioner -- this step is the exact same as if you had shampoo'd your hair first -- leave that one in while you do the rest of your shower routine, then rinse it out. And voila! Cowashing.

Cowashing isn't for everyone, but it just may help solve your problem. :) If it doesn't work, I do definitely suggest brown sugar scrubs or something like that.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    You can find tea tree oil at drug stores and health food stores. If you follow the directions on the bottle for topical application to the skin, it should work really well and really quickly to help your scalp's itchiness.

I agree with everyone else, though that you should give cowashing a try and be surprised by how healthy it makes your scalp!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • Tabby58Tabby58 Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hello,

I think the problem may be that the shampoos you are using all contain a nasty chemical called sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). It's a cheap chemical that's in almost all "grocery store" and salon shampoos, even dandruff shampoos like Head and Shoulders and Selsun Blue. Look for a natural shampoo that doesn't contain SLS.

You can also massage tea tree or jojoba oil in your damp scalp nightly, then rinse with lukewarm water.

Make sure to avoid high heat when blow drying your hair. Towel drying/air drying is the best way. Here's some more info that I found:http://dryscalphq.net. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file