Curly Cut tomorrow afternoon. *Plz* give input on my 'checklist'

DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
I'm finally feeling really good about my naturally curly hair (i.e. I've got a routine that's working well for me; I've made it through the 'transition period' so my hair is no longer freaking out; I'm doing pretty well with hydrating my hair, etc.), and tomorrow afternoon I've got an appointment to get my first curly cut. I'm really hoping that a good curly cut will help me love my hair even more. I checked out the stylist I"m going to and feel confident that he knows how to work with curly hair.

What I'm wondering about and coming to this forum to get feedback on is if I've got my questions/comments in order to go in and have an informed consultation with him before he starts cutting.

Below is what I've got in mind to go over with him. If there's anything else you can think of that I should consider bringing up, please post. I *really* don't want to take a step backward as far as how good I'm feeling about my hair by getting a bad cut. TIA. :)

-- I'd like to grow my shoulder length hair longer. I want a cut to give my hair some shape, but don't want to lose a lot of length, so cutting layers is fine, but please don't cut more than 1" anywhere to create the layers.

-- I'm following the CG approach so I don't want anything with silicone, sulfates, or paraben used on my hair.

-- I want my hair cut dry.

-- I don't want thinning shears or a razor used to cut my hair.

Anything I've missed? Anything that's unreasonable? Anything you've learned from experience with successfully getting curly hair cut?

Again, I've checked this guy out, and feel pretty confident about his experience working with curlies.

(P.S. I'll try to post before/after pics and a reveiw afterwards.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
Goal: APL Hair

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's a thread to help: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/salon-stylist-chatter/76806-what-should-i-tell-my-stylist.html

I would only get a dry cut if the stylist is trained in doing that. Many of us do get wet cuts and are perfectly happy with them.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    Here's a thread to help: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/salon-stylist-chatter/76806-what-should-i-tell-my-stylist.html

I would only get a dry cut if the stylist is trained in doing that. Many of us do get wet cuts and are perfectly happy with them.

Thank you! I *knew* this thread existed (I even posted on it), but I couldn't find it again to save my life, so I was going on memory as far as what to discuss with the stylist.

And thanks for the heads up on wet/dry cut. I think I'll be all right requesting a dry cut. I've checked reviews on this particular stylist (all really good) which say he cuts dry hair, plus I read his bio which mentions his training.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    in case his salon does not have any sulfate/silcone free products, i'd bring my own and ask him to use them.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rbb wrote: »
    in case his salon does not have any sulfate/silcone free products, i'd bring my own and ask him to use them.

This!!

My stylist is Deva trained and has worked with Lorraine training other stylists but the salon that she works from is not a Deva salon. They have tons of product-even a line of their own-and she would not be able to find anything CG in her salon to use on my hair. I know because I have searched the displays while I have waited for my appointment.

I take a small bag with lowpoo, condish, my stylers and a t-shirt for drying.

Since it is a fancy schmancy place, she has an assistant who shampoos me. I explain to that person all my rituals-conditioner only on the ends, dry with shirt, I give them the choice of putting in Curl Keeper on my dripping hair or I can, etc.
    I actually feel like I have educated them and they have been accommodating and as kind as can be about it.

Can't wait to hear how it goes!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • MidisurfMidisurf Posts: 88Registered Users
    I'd feel really odd bringing my own stuff in, like the only person who does it.
    - Nate

Co-wash - Boots / Tresemme Naturals
    Condition - Bodyshop Rainforest / Tresemme Naturals
    Style - Holland and Barrett Aloe Vera gel / Garnier Fructis Camouflage gel
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Midisurf wrote: »

Does not bother me one bit! NO ONE cares more about my hair than me. Not to mention that I pay nicely for my cuts!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Midisurf wrote: »

My salon has Deva products, which I won't use. I bring my own products AND towels! No one minds, at all.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm *SO* happy with my haircut! :blob2: The difference between what I had (an all-one-length haircut with bangs that I'm growing out) and what I have now (a haircut with layers that incorporate my growing-out bangs into a style and kept my overall length) is much bigger than I expected. My curls really seem to be curling more easily [Correction -- I really should've said "more attractively" or something. My hair actually never has trouble curling], and I really think my hair overall will look much better as it continues to grow to the length I want it (to my shoulder blades).

I'm really fortunate that I found a stylist who gets curly hair and has been trained on how to work with it. Before he did anything to my hair, he spent time listening to what I wanted and then offered his suggestions on what he thought would work given my hair texture and type and my goal for growing out my hair. I'm really please with the results!

Btw, I did bring my own hair products to my appointment but ended up not using any of them because what the stylist already had there was all curly-friendly. Plus, since I'm still new to being naturally curly, I was actually kind of interested in having him try out the products he had that were new to me. (It's sometimes hard to not be a product junkie.)

For me anyway, it's pretty clear that the combination of a good cut and proper curly haircare is the thing.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    That's SO awesome that you found a great stylist ALREADY!! :) People who really, truly get curls (and someone's *individual* curls, besides the fact) are very few and far between, so you are very, very lucky! It sounds like you had a great experience. So, where are the pics?? :D
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    That's SO awesome that you found a great stylist ALREADY!! :) People who really, truly get curls (and someone's *individual* curls, besides the fact) are very few and far between, so you are very, very lucky! It sounds like you had a great experience. So, where are the pics?? :D

I'll post if I manage to get one. I think the combination of not having a good camera AND the fact that my hair just doesn't photograph well hasn't given me a good photo to post. My hair is sooo dark and maybe the lighting is bad or something, so if I'm not right up on top of a smaller section of hair, you can't really see anything about my hair but a mass of dark space. Makes it kind of hard when trying to take a pic of all of my hair. (Don't know if anyone else has had that trouble trying to photograph their hair, but it's a pain.)

I like this cut so much that I don't want to post a pic that doesn't do it justice and will have you thinking "Whaaaa?!" :confused: :tongue5:

Ok, here's an after haircut pic (Lighting not so good, but oh well). I LOVE the layers and how my bangs now blend in a little more with the rest of my hair. The cut only took off about 1"-2" in length, so I feel like I'm still making good progress in growing it out. Can't *wait* until my bangs are grown out completely and my hair's down to my shoulder blades! :toothy8:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file