Is silky hair a myth??

Or do I need to be patient?? I want my curls to be silky but i'm losing hope. Could I be over conditioning?? Any suggestions/comments?? I have BSL 2c/3a hair. Should I invest in a hair analysis??
2c w/2a underneath, Norm/Coarse texture, norm/porosity, Thick density, Mildly protein sensitive
Low Poo: L'Oreal ES, Baking Soda
CO Wash: Sauve Naturals cond
RO/LI: GFTN, GF Sleek and Shine (new formula w/o cones)
Styling products: AVG, L.A. Looks NutraCurl, Cashmere Curls, LOOB, GF anti-humidity hairspray
DT: EVOO+Coconut oil+CG friendly cond.
LOVE sugar scrubs and ACV rinses
Spritz&Condish, Ice Queen, Air dry 75-80% then defuse to SOTC
Mod. CG since Aug, 19, 2011 & lovin it

Comments

• cypressmomcypressmom Posts: 236Registered Users
    The only time mine is silky is if it is product free and has been brushed. So, not very often. :)
    CypressMom
    3A - I think!

I like to use, but not all at once: :)
    Wash: V05 Tea Therapy or CJ Daily Fix
    Condition: CJ Curl Rehab (apply as needed, not daily)
    Style: CCCC Lite, CIAB, and BRHG. KCCC is my #1 product
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i made this aleo vera honey vit E oil and tea tree hair mask, left it in for an hour then i washed it out and put argan oil in the next morning my boyfriend said that my hairs so silky :)

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Are you CG? If so, how long have you been CG? Silky hair comes with lots time and effort! Do you know your hair properties? Is your hair fine or coarse in texture? Coarse hair likes lots of oils and butters and moisture. DTs are good for this kind of hair. If you have fine hair, PTs would help. What are you using as a RO? Are you using a LI? I hope this helps get you started...
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is it possible you have coarse hair? Coarse hair may not feel silky. When I do amla treatments or when my hair is moisturized my hair feels silky, but my hair is also fine so maybe that's got something to do with it.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • WaveyGirlWaveyGirl Posts: 36Registered Users
    I've been CG for lil over 2 weeks. I really don't know my hair properties. Compared to a strand chart I found online I have fine to normal hair. I did a PT on my hair and it seemed to curl better after but wasn't any softer. I followed the PT with a 5 min DT using my RO. I'm a lil confused on the porosity. If the float test is correct I have low to normal porosity. Here's how my hair acts in water. It absorbs water quickly, but dries slowly (about 3 hours to completely air dry) So this confuses me a bit.

Heres my product list: (don't know how to add a signature...lol)

CO Wash: GF pure and clean
    RO: Regis Design line Olive oil cond.
    Leave In: Regis Design Line Olive oil LI treatment
    Frizz fighter: L'Oreal Ever Sleek humidity defying cream
    Styling Products (currently experimenting): L.A. Looks (dark blue) gel, SAMY curl spray, PureShine Curl Cream

Still on a mission to find my HG products :)
    2c w/2a underneath, Norm/Coarse texture, norm/porosity, Thick density, Mildly protein sensitive
    Styling products: AVG, L.A. Looks NutraCurl, Cashmere Curls, LOOB, GF anti-humidity hairspray
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have coarse, porous hair and it is not silky. That kind of hair isn't supposed to be silky.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A deep treatment would take longer than 5 minutes, and after putting the extra rich conditioner on your hair, you would normally cover it with a shower or processing cap (at least some plastic), and apply heat for no less than 20 minutes.

Hair which wets quickly would not be low porosity. I don't know how long your hair is, so 3 hours may or may not be long for it to dry. My low porosity hair doesn't take up wetness immediately, and is normally still wet, or at least damp, when I get up in the morning after having washed my hair before bed.

The only time my uber fine hair was not soft was just prior to going CG, when it apparently had a major cone buildup, and was like dried straw. It started to turn around very quickly, but that wasn't immediate. I would think that the coarser your hair is (and I've met babies with hair coarser than mine), the longer that could take. As the OP said, it isn't in the nature of all hair to be soft.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There are a lot of factors that can go into this--texture, porosity, hair treatment(s) and products that you use.

I have a good friend who lets her stylist do all sorts of "processes" to her hair, including color, heat and straightening. It's hard to know what her hair would be like. It usually looks and feels like a steel wool because it's so dry. (and I really don't think it's coarse.) There's no convincing her that her hair could feel like mine if she took the proper care with it.

My hair prefers the natural products. It's almost always softer, but not quite as soft as if it's product free. The line that's best for feeling like there's nothing in your hair is Curl Junkie, IMHO.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WaveyGirlWaveyGirl Posts: 36Registered Users
    Thanks ladies. I appreciate the comments. I'm still trying to figure everything out.

Can someone tell me what exactly a mod. CG method is??
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mod CG just means that the person is doing some of the Curly Girl method, but has modified it in some way. IME, most people who say that are actually doing CG, they're just doing it with the use of a low-poo, which was always okay as Lorraine Massey (who started the whole thing) described it; and is more obviously in line with the current edition of the book.

Other people may be using sulfate detergents, or products with silicones, brushing their hair, etc.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file