Breaking the Habits

'sighs' I finally know how to get my hair to look consistently awesome BUT the 'price' of that has me weary of continuing this routine. the 3 habits that i really want to break are: using the denman brush, using gel, and diffusing.

LOVE how the denman defines my curls and even gets some of them to pop BUT i don't want to risk damaging my hair. i've noticed that the last 3in of my hair feel a bit rough and that may or may not be the results of the brush (i only brush while it's wet, with a leave in/ curl cream, and before geling)

now the gel and diffusing go hand in hand. Gel defines my curls like no other and keeps my hair frizz-free BUT it takes forever(roughly 6hrs) for it to dry and I hate having wet hair which brings the diffuser into the picture. it cuts it down to about 3hrs, however I feel it also has contributed to the rough ends i'm having. i only straighten my hair once a year and i would hate to get heat damage or something from just diffusing.

As of now i'm limiting myself to only brushing/diffusing on sunday and just re wetting/styling on the other days. it's still a pain in the butt to wait for it to dry those other days but the curls do stay intact from the brushing on sunday.

I think i'm going to try to find a really heavy leave-in that has a lot of slip (right now i'm just trying to use up shea moistures hair milk and their deep treatment conditioner). Maybe if my hair had more slip before i brush i wouldn't be paranoid about it breaking. fyi i actually don't have a lot of hair in the brush when i'm done but i noticed it does get caught up a lot while brushing.I know i could try using a regular conditioner as a leave in but for some reason regular conditioners have left a film on my hair in the past. I may try it anyway on one of my off days.

I doubt i'll be able to ever break the gel habit because without gel my hair has no definition but i can limit it to only the days where i wear my hair down. i haven't tried mousse yet so lets keep our fingers crossed that it will work. Like i said i hate having wet hair but it's something i will just have with if it keeps my hair healthy.

Anyone else have any habits they need to break?
hair properties: low porosity, coarse, dense and predominantly 3b I guess

current products:
conditioner - suave professionals
leave in - suave naturals
stylers - shea moisture smoothie and xtreme gel

Comments

• MidisurfMidisurf Posts: 88Registered Users
    You straighten your once a year? What straighteners you using because I'm missing out :p

Try Moisture Maniac as a conditioner it cuts the time down and try wrapping hair in a shirt or stick your head infront of a fan.
    - Nate

Co-wash - Boots / Tresemme Naturals
    Condition - Bodyshop Rainforest / Tresemme Naturals
    Style - Holland and Barrett Aloe Vera gel / Garnier Fructis Camouflage gel
  • Leigh'07Leigh'07 Posts: 183Registered Users
    I would straighten it more but it takes about a month after a straighten for my hair to get back to it's full potential not to mention it's pretty long and SUPER thick every time I think about straighten I get tired haha. Any kind of manipulation on my hair while it's wet makes my curls stringy and blah looking. Thanks for the suggestions though
    Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
    hair properties: low porosity, coarse, dense and predominantly 3b I guess

current products:
    conditioner - suave professionals
    leave in - suave naturals
    stylers - shea moisture smoothie and xtreme gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file