CurlTalk

A good moisturizer?

toniahandelmotoniahandelmo Posts: 7Registered Users
Also, I need to find a good moisturizing product. Can someone list products that they use. Especially the 4a/4b hair type. :( Please .:cry:

Comments

• ebonyrose31626ebonyrose31626 Posts: 253Registered Users
    water, castor oil and kckt/any creamy leave in conditioner.(in that order)
    4c wiry thick nappy low porosity hair
    Poo: SM black soap
    Rise out/Detangler:
    DC/: Avocado+ oil + Honey
    Spritz: Oyin J&B :love10:
    Moisturizer: OH Dew
    Sealant:BSP/Bask tapioca cream
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    qhemet biologics burdock root butter cream (they are having a sale on Friday!)
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    ^ shizh, are they?!

Spill!!
    I hate being a uni student again, can't buy nothing, can't pay the bills :angry3:
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Posts: 216Registered Users
    I've been using Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in...it's $4 for 16oz and sold at walgreens... you only need a little to get the moisture you need, it's very heavy leave-in which is good if you have extra dry hair like me....it has a light cone as the 7th ingredients FYI, but I've found it doesn't buildup at all...

If you want reviews from 4a/4b's there are a ton on NC.com

Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream - NaturallyCurly.com

Hope this helps :)
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    kayb wrote: »
    ^ shizh, are they?!

Spill!!
    I hate being a uni student again, can't buy nothing, can't pay the bills :angry3:
    Here you go!

OUR
    END OF SUMMER AUGUST SALE
    IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!

DETAILS

DATE: FRIDAY, AUGUST 26!
    TIME: 12 NOON EST, 11 AM CST, 10 AM MST, 9 AM PST
    PLACE: QHEMET BIOLOGICS
    DISCOUNT: 20% OFF orders over 27.00 (subtotal) + FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING on orders over 70.00 (subtotal).
    COUPON CODE: supple
    SPAN: The sale will last as long as supplies last so place your orders early!
    We are currently closed to prepare for the sale. All products appear as out of stock until we reopen at noon on 8/26.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    I'd also recommend Qhemet Biologics (if you've got money to burn). The Heavy Cream (please notice the word 'heavy!') or the Burdock Root.
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • violetmauvevioletmauve Posts: 177Registered Users
    s-curl no drip moisturizer
    shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie
    shea moisture shea butter leave in conditioner
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Komaza Shea Butter Lotion
  • kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    Shea moisture Shea butter leave in (old formula)
  • KeiLaniKoilsKeiLaniKoils Posts: 439Registered Users
    Aloe Vera and water mixed up in a spray bottle helps
    Smacked with a head full of Dreamy tight Coils that refuse to have it any other way... :D
    Finally maintaining a clean, moisturized scalp!
    I'm really getting into my Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil now :love7:
    Here we embrace the disorder of hair product buying

:happy6: GROW NAPS GROW! :happy6:
    Why would I relax all the fabulousness?!
    Inspired by Keenylicious
    I swear the things that catch on in our society...
    never anything with meaning

Inspired by LeeLee
  • toniahandelmotoniahandelmo Posts: 7Registered Users
    thanks everyone! i hope something works . my hair is never satisfied with anything :/ ! I'm going to try the Kimmaytube recipe leave-in conditioner. People are claiming it's good for your hair but I doubt it will work.:sad5:
  • JoliePoetiqueJoliePoetique Posts: 178Registered Users
    I'd also recommend Qhemet Biologics (if you've got money to burn). The Heavy Cream (please notice the word 'heavy!') or the Burdock Root.

+1000 - both of these products are awesome. The amla is heavier and more oil based but the burdock root is also very good, if slightly lighter. I honestly can't think of anything I like better for moisturizing as a stand alone product without having to do a bunch of mixing.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
    Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
    Butters: NONE! :sign6::puker:

+1000 - both of these products are awesome. The amla is heavier and more oil based but the burdock root is also very good, if slightly lighter. I honestly can't think of anything I like better for moisturizing as a stand alone product without having to do a bunch of mixing.

Got no money for tomorrow's sale. Gotta wait 'til Black Friday! :sad5:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    Qhemet Biologics
    Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer
    Darcy's Botanicals Peach Kernel Hair Milk
    Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
    Botanical Spirits Avocado and Coconut Milk butter
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • apatt4975apatt4975 Posts: 142Registered Users
    Afro detangler @ www.growafrohairlong.com

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App
  • apatt4975apatt4975 Posts: 142Registered Users
    You may have to make adjustments to her recipe to see what's right for you. Also another thing to consider is that you may have hard water. If that's the case then you may want to try investing in a filter.

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App
  • KeepitNaturalKeepitNatural Posts: 95Registered Users
    I really like::

Oyin hair dew
    Oyin Whipped pudding
    Bee Mine luscious moisturizer
  • YltnelisYltnelis Posts: 54Registered Users
    thanks everyone! i hope something works . my hair is never satisfied with anything :/ ! I'm going to try the Kimmaytube recipe leave-in conditioner. People are claiming it's good for your hair but I doubt it will work.:sad5:

Don't get too discouraged. I know it's very frustrating when it seems like nothing works for your hair. It just requires a bit of trial and error. I recently started using Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream. It's very moisturizing (for me anyway), and it's cheap. Only around $3 and you can get it anywhere like Walgreens or CVS. I also recently found that I have to use something heavy on my ends because they get dry so quickly, so I've been using shea butter mixed with olive oil (just regular extra virgin olive oil, not the cream I mentioned above). I had a hard time finding an oil that my hair really likes, but olive oil seems to work well for me. It's the only oil that my hair seems to "drink." Just use a little though to prevent greasiness.

Lastly, I spray my hair a lot. At least 2 to 3 times a day. Always in the morning when I get up, always at night before I go to bed, and often once or twice throughout the day. Since I have hard water at home, I use distilled water for my spray (or a moisturizing spray that I bought called Soft & Precious if I have that on hand). I used to think something was wrong if I had to spray my hair that much just to keep moisture in it. But now I look at it like this, I have kinky (I guess it's 4b) hair, and kinky hair gets dry and thirsty. That's just how it is. If I feel myself get physically thirsty throughout the day, then I think nothing of drinking more water to quench my thirst (drinking more water, by the way, has helped with my dry hair as well). It only makes sense to do the same for my hair. Sorry this was so long, but I hope you found some of the info helpful in some way.
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    I find that what ever moisturizer I use (shea moisture, Hair Dew, Peach kernel Hair milk, shea moisture curl + style milk, Alba Leave in condish, - the list goes on) it works best for my hair if I scrunch it in, put on a cap, and let the steam from the shower do it's thing. When I get out of the shower, I remove the cap and use about 6-10 drops of oil (sweet almond, jojoba, Hairveda vegital soya(?), in the winter castor) and scrunch that in to help seal the moisture in my hair. In the morning, I shake and go out the door. At night, I go to bed. I find that this moisturizing routine keeps my hair soft. If your hair does not like oil, find a good LI or creamy buttery LI to seal with. And don't forget to moisturize with water....HTH
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    One of the things I realized about my hair is that it wasn't that I couldn't find a good moisturizer, it was that I never sealed the moisture into my hair. Sealing is something that I just started doing and it is making a world of difference in my hair.
  • westndnbeautywestndnbeauty Posts: 73Registered Users
    Qhemets Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee works great! Not too heavy, not too light.
    I find that what ever moisturizer I use (shea moisture, Hair Dew, Peach kernel Hair milk, shea moisture curl + style milk, Alba Leave in condish, - the list goes on) it works best for my hair if I scrunch it in, put on a cap, and let the steam from the shower do it's thing. When I get out of the shower, I remove the cap and use about 6-10 drops of oil (sweet almond, jojoba, Hairveda vegital soya(?), in the winter castor) and scrunch that in to help seal the moisture in my hair. In the morning, I shake and go out the door. At night, I go to bed. I find that this moisturizing routine keeps my hair soft. If your hair does not like oil, find a good LI or creamy buttery LI to seal with. And don't forget to moisturize with water....HTH

How does the steam affect the hair when you're wearing a cap? :confused:

• NamineNamine Posts: 159Registered Users
    I like to use Creme of Nature's Lemongrass and Rosemary Leave-In Conditioner for Dehydrated Hair :).
    Products I Use: African Black Liquid Soap, Coconut Oil, and Shea Butter.
  • _Michael11_Michael11 Posts: 90Registered Users
    lusters scurl spray! this is a great stuff!

get?bid=TriAMSKoSw7zbw&bn=CC&fbid=7wIR63%2bClmj%2b0A&fbn=CC
    goal hair length- waist length
    I LOVE HAIR!!!
    **My Big Hair Don't Journey--"Please check me out" :nike:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fkingsmith1991%3Ffeature%3Dmhee%23p%2Fa%2Fu%2F1%2FCQ-J0dmftw8" class="Popup

comic-p.jpg
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    Also, I need to find a good moisturizing product. Can someone list products that they use. Especially the 4a/4b hair type. :( Please .:cry:

Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. My life hasn't been the same since!
  • ebonyrose31626ebonyrose31626 Posts: 253Registered Users
    CityGirl81 wrote: »

How do you use it? wet, damp, dry hair? In conjunction w/ oils, butters, gels...?
    4c wiry thick nappy low porosity hair
    Poo: SM black soap
    Rise out/Detangler:
    DC/: Avocado+ oil + Honey
    Spritz: Oyin J&B :love10:
    Moisturizer: OH Dew
    Sealant:BSP/Bask tapioca cream
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    CityGirl81 wrote: »

How do you use it? wet, damp, dry hair? In conjunction w/ oils, butters, gels...?

I use it on damp hair. First the Shea moisture, then my mix of S Curl/jojoba/castor/evoo oil, just a little and then eco styler aragon oil! It's been my summer routine. I bought it in Walgreen's as a trial and I have been in love ever since!
  • sweetcurly1920sweetcurly1920 Posts: 42Registered Users
    AG Hair Cosmetics Fast Food Leave-In Conditioner + Coconut oil as a sealant have really helped my hair in the last month that I've been using it. My hair feels really soft and moisturized. Ulta was having a sale this past weekend on the liter sizes - $11.99 for a liter. This is the second sale that I've seen in the month that I've been using it. So they may have another liter sale in a few weeks. - HTH
    Hair Type: Who knows?:dontknow:
    Last Relaxer: Spring 2008 (idk what date)
    BC'd: January 15, 2010

Transitioned: Spring 2008 - January 2010 - 18+ mos.
  • tbabyytbabyy Posts: 570Registered Users
    Is there something to seal with besides oils? I have low porosity hair, and I try sealing but it just leaves my hair a hot greasy, dried out mess. Should I try butters? What are some good ones? I have heard good things about mango butter.

I'm on my Evo, yo!
    b04fbffc-52c8-49d6-a7f1-77140040642d.jpg

LITTLE JOEY HAS A SIBLING ON THE WAY! :toothy7: