Stupid questions

adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
Last week I was vacationing in Nashville. I'm Black and usually wear twist outs. My friend and I were walking around downtown.

Suddenly we're walking next to two guys. One says "I like your hair". I say "thanks". Then after a little conversation he asks "Are you from Jamaica?"..

No offense to anyone from Jamaica but WTF??!!! I wanted to say "Do I sound like I'm from some damn Jamaica? I was born in f**^ing Mississippi" but I just said "no" and gave him the side eye.

His friend said, "Really? Jamaica. Dude that is so stupid."
I think the guy must have been drunk.
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

• forbeeforbee Registered Users Posts: 441
    I get the Jamaican question too.

But then, I also got that question a few times before I was natural...so maybe I actually look Jamaican? :confused1:
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • NiquellaNiquella Registered Users Posts: 61
    Saying no offense and then saying "WTF" is still offensive, because there's still some animosity or hostility behind it, even if it's not intended. I can't speak for anyone whose Jamaican, for I am not, but I still felt offended by it. What if it a white person said, 'no offense to blacks, but WTF'? We'd be ready to kick their ass right? lol.

I understand where you're coming from, trust I do, I'm just asking to look at it in a different light. We can't get upset over such small things. Maybe you were having a bad day. I've been told plenty of times by Jamaican guys and African guys that I look like "the women back home". I never got offended by it, because I know where we all come from. I know some people who are from Puerto Rico that you wouldn't even know were from there, because they look just like you and I.

Sent from my i4 via CurlTalk App
  • ThickHairedQTThickHairedQT Registered Users Posts: 542 Curl Neophyte
    I think they were just paying you a compliment, no harm at all meant. My boyfriend and I were in line at the bank and there was a guy from somewhere in northern africa, he asked if I was nigerian and if my boyfriend was indian. We didn't take offense to it, we didn't see any reason to taking offense, he was curious and instead of assuming he asked. He was actually a nice man.no reason to fuss over small things and you can be jamaican but not have the accent because you grew up in America or you can switch the patois on and off. I always enjoyed listening to a customer at my old job, it was just like a light switch.

*now that I read into the last sentence about the guy saying "jamaica. Dude that's so stupid" I don't know what he's talking about or what he means by it so that would probably irritate me and I get the idea that they were a-holes so I think it depends on how a person approaches another with that kind of question and their intent.
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Niquella wrote: »
    Saying no offense and then saying "WTF" is still offensive, because there's still some animosity or hostility behind it, even if it's not intended. I can't speak for anyone whose Jamaican, for I am not, but I still felt offended by it. What if it a white person said, 'no offense to blacks, but WTF'? We'd be ready to kick their ass right? lol.

I understand where you're coming from, trust I do, I'm just asking to look at it in a different light. We can't get upset over such small things. Maybe you were having a bad day. I've been told plenty of times by Jamaican guys and African guys that I look like "the women back home". I never got offended by it, because I know where we all come from. I know some people who are from Puerto Rico that you wouldn't even know were from there, because they look just like you and I.

Sent from my i4 via CurlTalk App

I see your point. Believe me all my hostility was directed at the idiot drunk guy.

I've spoken fluent Spanish since pre-school and I've taught Spanish and English As A Second Language. People are always asking me if I'm from another country and it doesn't bother me.

But this guy I think trying to be sarcastic about my hair. I know I shouldn't have let it get to me.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file