Share your Upside Down Tips

IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
Okay, that might be a vague title.
Just trying out scrunching gel in upside down and actually getting some clumps at the top and root curl all over!

I haven't been able to make upside-down rinsing work - maybe it's a fine hair thing.

Are there any tricks to scrunching gel in upside down other than, "bend forward, apply gel, scrunch." Maybe try to keep hanks/wads/shocks of hair together while you scrunch so it clumps better?
I know I could spend a couple weeks working it out. My shortcut is to ask here for some wavy knowledge.

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Here is my tip: Doing stuff upside down makes hair look crazy and wonky.:geek:
    ETA: Forgot I do some of the ice queen/supersoaker combo upside down. Darn. Ruins my no upside down theory.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • itsiliiiitsiliii Registered Users Posts: 340
    Yeah upside down rinsing was a failure for me and just resulted in water going into my nose :p raking through my leave in and gel upside add a BIT more volume then afterwards I scrunch and pump but honestly the volume it gives me isn't much to rave about :p
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • CheetaraCheetara Registered Users Posts: 2,182 Curl Neophyte
    It helps when I comb my hair forward, full of conditioner, and then rinse.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    itsiliii wrote: »
    Yeah upside down rinsing was a failure for me and just resulted in water going into my nose :p raking through my leave in and gel upside add a BIT more volume then afterwards I scrunch and pump but honestly the volume it gives me isn't much to rave about :p

I KNEW it, I just knew there had to be somebody else who gets water in their nose doing that. That's about 50% of the problem!
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Cheetara wrote: »
    Same here. I get really awesome root curl and much better defined curls this way. After rinsing, I put in my products upside down and go directly into a plop... then I diffuse right side up - never works when my hair is too short, I seem to get the best benefit when my hair is shoulder length or longer.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    Well, I should have great blood flow to the head because as I thought about it, I stay upside down for quite a while!

Upside down, I:
    rinse out
    scrunch in L/I
    scrunch in CK
    dry with t-shirt
    scrunch in gels

I diffuse both upright and upside down. I have this hairdryer and diffuser for crown/root lift or I have none:
    Target:Zoe Dot Hair Dryer
    I often use this one for doing my whole head. Sometimes, I pop on a Conair bowl diffuser. Depends if I am playing or getting to business.

Whew. With all of the inversion, I should be more dizzy.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
    Whew, that's a lot of upside down, all right. I usually "smooth in" gel - or rather, with a gel-coated hand, I squeeze hair before I scrunch. I guess I should stick with that, upside down.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    Upside I apply stylers...I tend to rake them, then super soak to reclump. I also do about half of my diffusing upside down. You'd think I'd get more volume that way but I think it does help more than if I don't do it.

I cannot rinse upside down...tangle city. I tried a final rinse upside down once, doing everything upside down, but I got strange results.

Ps...JAJC...that dryer is tres cute! :)

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    Cheetara wrote: »
    Same here. I get really awesome root curl and much better defined curls this way. After rinsing, I put in my products upside down and go directly into a plop... then I diffuse right side up - never works when my hair is too short, I seem to get the best benefit when my hair is shoulder length or longer.

Add another one to this crowd. I don't get the same curl if don't do things upside down. I apply conditioner while upright and then flip upside down and apply some more and gently finger comb to detangle. I start rinsing upright and then flip upside down and comb through with a wide tooth comb while I finish rinsing. If I don't comb at this point, I get tangled wonky curls. Since I'm still under the water while combing, it doesn't pull out any curl.

I apply all my stylers upside down and start with running my hands up into the hair at the roots all over and then scrunching; also scrunching while leaning to the sides - still upside down. Also do upside down diffusing but usually not until I've got it set with upright diffusing first.

I've never had a problem with getting water up my nose. I'm totally bent over at the waist so maybe that helps - ?
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • techmomtechmom Registered Users Posts: 300
    IAgirl wrote: »
    itsiliii wrote: »

I KNEW it, I just knew there had to be somebody else who gets water in their nose doing that. That's about 50% of the problem!

+1 Me too! no way around it. Our shower just isn't big enough.
    2a (nc.com), 2a/2bFii (fia), normal porosity

Cowash:TN Radiant Volume
    RO TN Moisturizing .
    Styling products:AVG, Ecostyler Crystal
    Styling Methods: Pixie-style diffusing - total fav
    Low-poo: AO Nourishing Lavender

http://designdedication.com

saved by grace, walking by faith
    I'm with Plunky, upside down rinsing = tangles and weird.
    I have to do the sides and lower part of the back right side up to get clumps there - I can only do the top parts upside down.
    That IS cute hair dryer, JAJC. It's very "you."
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    Yes I have an upside down tip. Think of it as OUT not UP. You know how when a kid with really fine hair comes down a plastic slide at the park, the hair sticks out all around their head?

That is more or less what I am trying to do when putting in the gel - get the top hair to go up and the sides to go out and the back to go back. But none of it down.

So lean waaaaay to the side to do the sides and tip head back to do the back.

That is my tip. Plastic slide hair.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    Yes I have an upside down tip. Think of it as OUT not UP. You know how when a kid with really fine hair comes down a plastic slide at the park, the hair sticks out all around their head?

That is more or less what I am trying to do when putting in the gel - get the top hair to go up and the sides to go out and the back to go back. But none of it down.

So lean waaaaay to the side to do the sides and tip head back to do the back.

That is my tip. Plastic slide hair.

Robin - I love it, I love it, I love it! :cheers: Great imagery and sounds like the perfect technique too.

I was that kid with really fine hair and I hated putting on/taking off sweaters and turtlenecks for the same reason. Thank you!
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    The only way I can upside down rinse is to cup the length while I do it. Otherwise I have a spot right at the back of my crown that tangle an rope-y whirl and just look....weird.
    BUT, I can do an upside down supersoak w/o all that tangley weirdness.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I took the advice to comb hair while upside down and it's really been working for me! I just lean over and let the water rinse my hair as I comb and then add my products to soaking wet hair and don't get as many weird looking spots!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file