CurlTalk

Lube the LOOB?!?

I have an awesome and consistent technique for 2nd and 3rd day hair. I get equal parts of leave in conditioner (the lube) and L'Oreal Out of Bed (LOOB), about a dime sized amount of each. I mix them in palms of my hands, put hands under a little water and just smooth over canopy and any areas that are frizzy or misshapen. It seems to work! No frizz, no crunchiness and no thin sticky ends! Hair has clumps, softness and shine. It's the only thing that has worked consistently for me.

I've tried store bought curl sprays--leaves my hair sticky and hard. Spritzes and curl refreshers--initially good but once dry, hair frizzed. I made an "all in one" leave in/gel spray--hair was crunchy with thin clumps.

I don't know if anyone else has tried this or if willing to try it let me know what you think! And btw, I had to come up with a catchy name in case I made it to hall of fame stickies on techniques!! Haha
3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.

Comments

• CurlyCanadian11CurlyCanadian11 Posts: 125Registered Users
    I sleep on satin pillow case but I need to wear a fleece headband while i sleep (it has nice little flat speakers in it) hooked to my iphone playing crashing waves n storms cause my hubby snores soo loud...i dunno if its the headband or not, but I wake up with flat non wavy hair..its dull and lifeless untili rewet in shower and re apply sum stylers...I know my hair is really damaged so that could be part of the problem I cannot get 2nd day hair....I like ur idea tho!!
    I often mix my regular conditioner that i also use as a leave in with gel to touch up ends if going out for the night and my hair feels dry...I have no luck whatsoever with pasty gunky stuff, is the LOOB like that? are you familiar with bedheads COCKY? my hubby uses that, its pretty sticky, I tried it yesterday and had to wash it out pretty soon after!
    2c/3a
    recovering from a chemically straightened nightmare!!
    Going back to my roots (literally!) CG since Aug 2011
    Fine, Thin, damaged, very porous, some elasticity.
    Cleanse:no poo
    Condish: one condition
    Style: Angel, B'leave in
    DT:Heaven in Hair!
    Spritz and Condish!!
    MY NEW HG: FSG and bent root clips with HESMEU hairspray flexible hold
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users
    0oHollyo0 wrote: »
    I often mix my regular conditioner that i also use as a leave in with gel to touch up ends if going out for the night and my hair feels dry...I have no luck whatsoever with pasty gunky stuff, is the LOOB like that? are you familiar with bedheads COCKY? my hubby uses that, its pretty sticky, I tried it yesterday and had to wash it out pretty soon after!

I'm not familiar with COCKY but sounds like it would work with the lube! Haha The LOOB is a bit sticky and gooey. To be honest, I bought it after reading good reviews for clumps and I like it with my hard holding gel (LALSG) but not alone. I had put it aside and it occurred to me to try mixing it with leave in to create sort of a gel cream. Gel with leave in left hard, crunchy thin ends. This combo of LOOB and "lube" gives me the clumps, smooths the frizz and leaves hair soft and shiny. I have shoulder length hair and I use small amount (less than dime sized) and that hasn't been too sticky or gooey. Try it!!

CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    LOOB for second day hair

Today was first time trying the lube/LOOB combo over my other go to combo of KCKT and KCCC for second day hair and it worked! Just have to be careful when mixing the two products in your palms. Any curlies tried this? Is there something less sticky than the LOOB that may work as well?

LOOB for second day hair

• McfrizzyMcfrizzy Posts: 406Registered Users
    Today was first time trying the lube/LOOB combo over my other go to combo of KCKT and KCCC for second day hair and it worked! Just have to be careful when mixing the two products in your palms. Any curlies tried this? Is there something less sticky than the LOOB that may work as well?

sorry to be so behind but what is lube exactly (lol i know what LOOB is ) and i do like the sound of that combo so i might try it since i have been dying to get LOOB to try out but i never really go to cvs lol
    Lo-poo:organix Shea butter shampoo
    Co-wash: suave coconut
    Rinse out:GFTN/GVP conditioning balm
    Leave in: GF daily care spray leave in
    Serum-like product: still need one
    Gel:LA looks sport gel/ HESMU,GFPC
    Oils: olive, coconut

I think I'm normal-overly porous, medium-thick hair(although I see fine hair too), love protein
    Update: lubed the gel (LALSG)!

I tried mixing my leave in with LALSG and results not as good. Ends were thin and crunchy. There's something about the lube (leave in) and LOOB combo that just works. Although it is sticky and gooey, it does give nice clumps to dry hair when mixed with the leave in and a bit of water. It doesn't feel sticky when dry either. It's the best method I've found for 2nd and 3rd day hair, so far!!

LOOB for second day hair

• itsiliiiitsiliii Posts: 340Registered Users
    Oh man I've got to try this, my second day hair always sucks :p
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
    itsiliii wrote: »
    Oh man I've got to try this, my second day hair always sucks :p

Hi itsiliii! I'm so glad you read this because it seems like we like similar products! Although my hair is a bit curlier than yours I too like hard hold and I'm all about the clumps!! I hope you'll try to lube the LOOB and report back. :)

LOOB for second day hair

OOH perhaps we are hair sisters 0.0 LOL we shall see hopefully I can find it at a local CVS or walgreens :p

I woke up this morning with flattened hair, misshapened curls with thinner clumps than I like but springy curls from recent PT. I decided to lube the LOOB and while wet thought perhaps I was premature in praising my new technique. Immediately after the application hair was not looking good :pukel: -- stringy and slighly dull. I went about my day and lo and behold (dare I say it), my hair looked EVEN BETTER than yesterday. I gently scrunched my dry hair and it looked really good.

I might add that I LIGHTLY misted hair before applying the lube and LOOB that I mixed in my hands as opposed to sticking hands under water. Will keep playing with the water part of the technique... :happy11:

LOOB for second day hair

Hi curlies. No one is trying the LOOB on second day hair? It's still working for me (the only thing that works). I've been lightly spritzing my hair with water, then adding the leave in followed by the LOOB. I find it easier to apply the LOOB if I emulsify with water in my hands by itself. I had been mixing it with the leave in in my hands but it doesn't mix and spread as evenly that way.

On a side note, for those of you who like to pineapple, how do you get it to work for you? My under layers are less curly (2c at nape, 3a on sides) and when I pineapple they are flattened and straight but the crown/canopy remains springy...

LOOB for second day hair

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    I went to buy LOOB at my local CVS and they said it was discontinued! :disgust:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I went to buy LOOB at my local CVS and they said it was discontinued! :disgust:

What?!? Say it isn't so!!! I've seen it alot lately but at some stores it's kind of tucked away and hard to find. I'm hoping the person you spoke to was either confused or just lazy and didn't want to look. 

LOOB for second day hair

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Hmmm...I don't think it's being discontinued! I see it all over the place. They even gave the bottle a whole new look. (I just bought a new tub, and they even changed one ingredient around -- fragrance is now all the way up the list instead of being at the very end. The scent doesn't smell any stronger, but IMO, that change was totally unnecessary! Ugh. I'm sensitive to fragrance, so I wasn't too happy. I dunno if it's gonna make me itchy now. ;)) I don't think they're discontinuing it...at least I HOPE they're not. LOOB has become like a HG product for me. I scrunch some in freshly washed hair when my hair is almost dry, and it's amazing at defining my hair! :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Hmmm...I don't think it's being discontinued! I see it all over the place. They even gave the bottle a whole new look. (I just bought a new tub, and they even changed one ingredient around -- fragrance is now all the way up the list instead of being at the very end. The scent doesn't smell any stronger, but IMO, that change was totally unnecessary! Ugh. I'm sensitive to fragrance, so I wasn't too happy. I dunno if it's gonna make me itchy now. ;)) I don't think they're discontinuing it...at least I HOPE they're not. LOOB has become like a HG product for me. I scrunch some in freshly washed hair when my hair is almost dry, and it's amazing at defining my hair! :)

I hope it's not being discontinued either! Wavy, do you ever use LOOB on second day hair or when very wet or do you only use it like you mentioned when it's almost dry? I've used it after leave in and before gel and didn't really notice much of anything. What I do notice is that it helps clump and smooth second day hair like nothing else. When I use KCKT/KCCC sometimes my ends are a bit fluffy and the LOOB helps to seal the clumps without leaving it sticky, stringy or crunchy. :)

LOOB for second day hair

• BrewCrewGrlBrewCrewGrl Posts: 442Registered Users
    I have used LOOB on second day hair, it is ok.... I just don't think second day hair is something for me right now. I have pretty short hair and it is just easier for me to wet it and start over everyday. Now, when my hair was longer (past my shoulders) it worked great for second day hair.

I use it when my hair is wet, not REALLy wet. I put my hair in a turbie twist and then use the LOOB when I take it out, so it isn't dripping wet, but still wet, if that makes sense, haha!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FBrewCrewGrl%2F" class="Popup

The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be- Konrad Lorenz
  • kellysmumkellysmum Posts: 167Registered Users
    They have LOOB at amazon.com. At least they did a few days ago.
    Armpit length (dry), middle of back wet, 2c/3a, fine, porous, color-over-gray, normal elasticity. Trying so hard to grow it out.
    CG since June 2011 and loving it so far.
    Product Junkie-love anything CJ. Used to love KT and KCCC, but lately doing nothing for my hair but flattening it.
    Am experimenting with products to see what works for me. Seems like I get different results every day even if I use the same products!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users

I hope it's not being discontinued either! Wavy, do you ever use LOOB on second day hair or when very wet or do you only use it like you mentioned when it's almost dry? I've used it after leave in and before gel and didn't really notice much of anything. What I do notice is that it helps clump and smooth second day hair like nothing else. When I use KCKT/KCCC sometimes my ends are a bit fluffy and the LOOB helps to seal the clumps without leaving it sticky, stringy or crunchy. :)

My favorite way to use LOOB is scrunching it into almost-dry hair. It works way awesome that way! :) It magically makes my hair super curly and clumpy and awesome! I tried it on 2nd day hair once when my hair was a lot longer, but it looked like it took my curl out, made my hair frizzy, and made my hair stringy. :( I might have to try it again to see how it works now! I also used LOOB as a sort of curl cream over my LI and under my gels in the winter. I noticed that it seemed to help with smoother and better/more consistent curls. It worked pretty good like that, but I really want something that delivers moisture for a curl cream, so I think my newly-acquired SM Smoothie will be replacing it this winter. (I ABSOLUTELY LOOOVE the Smoothie, BTW, in case you didn't see my complete rave on my thread, LOL! :))

How do you like KCCC, BTW? It seems so awesome, but I would never get it because of the steep price. :( I really feel like getting into the more natural products is delivering lots more moisture and good stuff to my hair, and I wish I had the money to buy them all! :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    ^ I personally LOVE KCCC, you definitely have to experiment and figure out the best amount for your hair but once you figure it out... WOW. it's a good hair day for me whenever I use it, with awesome frizz control. Not to mention it really makes my curls pop :3

I also love the scent and how natural the product is. The price is definitely it's biggest downfall, 17 buckaroons... Yeouch but the good thing is that a single jar lasts a long time so it's worth it :)

Wavy, to answer your question I love KCCC. It's unlike anything else I've used. I use the KCKT as leave in and add KCCC over that and top it off with hard hold gel (mostly on ends). It's a tricky product and it takes some trial and error to get it right but I highly recommend it.

Pros: great clumps, shine, softness, scrunches out very easily, smells great, virtually no frizz
    Cons: longgggggg drying time, not hard enough hold (for me) on it's own, extreme crunchiness when drying

Because it takes extra long to dry and is sooo crunchy as it's drying, i don't use it on days I'm going to work and have to do my hair in morning. I leave it for weekends, days I'm off from work, or wash hair at night and dry with diffuser. It also feels different when applying it. Just feels hard. Can't really describe it and as it dries my hair looks so stringy and crunchy but once dry and I scrunch it out, wow! Let me know if you try it! 

LOOB for second day hair

^ yeah i definitely know what you mean when you say it feels hard when applying...it feels almost drying? right? its a weird feeling, you have to apply it quickly. But its a small oddity that i can work with for the excellent results!

itsiliii wrote: »
    ^ yeah i definitely know what you mean when you say it feels hard when applying...it feels almost drying? right? its a weird feeling, you have to apply it quickly. But its a small oddity that i can work with for the excellent results!

Exactly!!! The LOOB has a sticky gooey-ness to it but dries really soft. It doesn't look or even feel good going on dry or damp hair but it does the job. It's amazing how these products work. 

LOOB for second day hair

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    I may have to try this! Thanks!
    What I've been doing is aloe mixed with the TINIEST bit of vo5 hairdressing. It does really well, most of the time! (I sometimes mix a little gel in with it, too!)
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • lcl0706lcl0706 Posts: 959Registered Users
    I just picked up a tub of LOOB today, I'm nervous because it feels so thick and sticky and my hair gets weighed down easily, but dangit I've heard so many good reviews! I'm definitely going to try mixing it with a bit of LI for my first application. I have nowhere to go tonight and no reason to wash & style my hair but I have a huge urge to go hop in the shower LOL! For a girl who's never liked any hair products, I've become kind of a junky!
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
    I believe I've mastered my technique. First, I put small amout of leave-in in my hand and water and lightly run hands over canopy adding a little more water as needed (hair is damp not wet), then stick just 1 fingertip in LOOB, spread that on palms with water and scrunch on ends, smooth over canopy. Great results, every time. It doesn't look great immediately but by the time I get to work, hair is dry and clumped! The stickiness is the glue that helps revive second day hair without making it hard. I still believe in lubing the LOOB! 

LOOB for second day hair

lcl0706 wrote: »
    I just picked up a tub of LOOB today, I'm nervous because it feels so thick and sticky and my hair gets weighed down easily, but dangit I've heard so many good reviews! I'm definitely going to try mixing it with a bit of LI for my first application. I have nowhere to go tonight and no reason to wash & style my hair but I have a huge urge to go hop in the shower LOL! For a girl who's never liked any hair products, I've become kind of a junky!

Careful when mixing LOOB and leave in. I found it gets lumpy and it left little globs in my hair when mixed together. Does better when applied separately and emulsified with water (on dry/damp hair). I've used LOOB on wet hair over LI and under gel. Ok results that way for me. I like it better for second day hair.

LOOB for second day hair

• wavyonewavyone Posts: 219Registered Users
    I have some LOOB and have only tried it on dry hair when I wanted to smooth the frizzies. No luck with it that way, but now I am curious to try this! Probably not until midweek. I'll report back!
    2a or b, highlighted, fine hair but lots of it
    Modified CG since 6/11

Low Poo: CJ Daily Fix
    Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
    Rinse Out: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner or Deva One C
    DT: CJ Rehab
    Stylers: Deva Heaven in Hair as a Leave-in, followed by Arc Angel
    SOTC: CJ CIAB
  • FormerCurlyFormerCurly Posts: 35Registered Users
    Sorry to ask but I'm confused, perhaps I have missed something!

I'm in Europe so we may have different products here. The LOOB I've seen here comes in a light blue tub. It's called "L'Oreal Out of Bed fibre cream". The ingredients seem different ffrom what I've seen listed elsewhere, it also contains alcohol (the denat/bad kind).

Is this likely to be the same product that people on NC.com like, or a different formulation? TIA.
  • lcl0706lcl0706 Posts: 959Registered Users

Careful when mixing LOOB and leave in. I found it gets lumpy and it left little globs in my hair when mixed together. Does better when applied separately and emulsified with water (on dry/damp hair). I've used LOOB on wet hair over LI and under gel. Ok results that way for me. I like it better for second day hair.

Yeah I ended up not mixing it. I tried that and it got all globby and lumpy so I didn't even put it in my hair LOL.

I didn't like my results with it, but I will keep experimenting. It gave me tupperhair. But I think there's a whole other host of issues with my hair because I can't get anything to work with it right now. Not giving up on LOOB yet!
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg

Yeah I ended up not mixing it. I tried that and it got all globby and lumpy so I didn't even put it in my hair LOL.

I didn't like my results with it, but I will keep experimenting. It gave me tupperhair. But I think there's a whole other host of issues with my hair because I can't get anything to work with it right now. Not giving up on LOOB yet!

Don't give up on the LOOB! My hair has been crazy for the last month and LOOB on second day hair is the only thing that consistently works. It looks stringy and not good when first applied but by the time I get to work, it's .

It's also great under gel for wavies (first day hair)...

LOOB for second day hair

• pinkwaterlilypinkwaterlily Posts: 21Registered Users
    I'd love to try this combo. LOOB never even crossed my product junkie radar!

Checking the ingredients list...it contains PEG/PPG 22/24 Dimethicone. Is this kosher for CG?