*%#@ Overconditioning!

IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
I actually went conditioner-free for 5 days and didn't like it. So I use a nice big glop of conditioner and... fwoomp! Wilty hair! Heavy hair that looks like it's been 'coned.
Did my cure-all baking soda scrub with a clarifying shampoo and citric acid rinse and then (drum roll plus idiot slap) let's just use a teeny weeny bit of the SAME conditioner to detangle. Fwoomp!

GAAAAH! I know this is my own fault. It's so easy to be seduced by the silky feeling of conditioner in the hair.
So I'm just venting... Care to commiserate?

On the other hand, I love it when my hair does this - the underlayer, that is. I wish the canopy would do it more reliably. Suggestions?

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    Those SPIRALS!!! I have spiral envy. Girl, I would sleep in a tub of conditioner if I could get those!!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    LOL! That is the funniest thing I've heard/read in at least a week!

Protein FSG really helps with the spirals! I just wish they weren't all on the underneath. They make me happy.
  • kasdenkasden Registered Users Posts: 1,045 Curl Connoisseur
    That stinks that your PT recipe doesn't give you spirals in the crown - it works GREAT for me! I never had spirals in the crown until I started using it. I'm so glad you created it and shared it - I thank you and my hair thanks you!!! You rock! :headbang:
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    Thanks, Kasden - love to hear how the PT works. I think I'm on to "scrunching upside down" to get crown spirals. I used to avoid upside-down things because it just seemed to cause a tangly mess.
    Or maybe that crazy woman who cuts my hair ruins them...;)

Edit: JAJC - your hair is so amazing now, if I could, I would go yo YOUR stylist. Not just your salon, but your stylist and say, "I'll have what she's having."
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I can't imagine how frustrating that would be! Honestly, my hair literally refuses to curl right and frizzes and poofs up when it's wet if I didn't put enough LI in or use enough RO. So we are total opposites! :) Even super light stuff like Suaves or VO5 conditioners do that to you? And even rinsing it out completely does it to you?! (Not really suggestions, but I'm very curious since this has never -- and probably will never -- happen to me! :)) I think your hair looks amazing in those pics though! I have the opposite problem. My underlayer curls terribly when it's shorter like it is now! :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Suave conditioners give me "conditioner cling," where my hair repels itself if used without shampooing. If I watch in the mirror, when I scrunch it, if there is a stray hair, it will actually move away from the other hairs, defying gravity (take THAT Newton!). I love Suave Strawberry, though. Good for traveling when I need slip! Appeals to the 9 year old in me that likes fruit-scented things.

I gotta new conditioner, though. I didn't put in any cationic stuff. So far, so good, but I haven't tried it as a leave-in yet.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    OOOHH!!! Okay, I get it now!! And your post made me laugh!!! :D Isaac Newton's laws don't apply to my hair all the time, either. ;) Especially to the frizz. I learned something from all that -- that it was possible to have hair that ACTUALLY moved in an east-west direction! :) Who knew?!

You mean you made a new conditioner? AWESOME!!! I'm still waiting for my conditioner flakes to arrive. :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file