Help! Pregnancy hair:(

JamieVJamieV Registered Users Posts: 158
I have thick 2c hair. I wear it in long layers, recently got 6 inches cut to above my shoulders to get a little more body because it starts to get flat when its too long.
In the last couple of months my hair has been terrible! Its like someone else's hair! Its limp especially at the roots and doing some weird things at the roots as well. I used to at least have good hair days a couple days a week and now I have zilch!
I started thinking today, I am 21 weeks pregnant. Could this be it? But this is what is confusing me....this is my 4th pregnancy and I have never ever had bad hair during pregnancy (maybe just a little less curl) but I never had such limp, flat, ugly hair during pregnancy before. Why is it different this time? Its making me feel a little depressed about how I look:(
I ordered a teasing brush and some non silicone hair spray (I am that desperate) to try to add a little height to my roots because the same old tricks of drying upside down etc are not cutting it anymore. Anyone have any advice or anything for me? And I now regret cutting my hair because long limp hair is more flattering on me than above the shoulder limp hair. Its hideous! Will my hair ever be the same? Could it be something else? My main issue is how limp the roots are. Now I could care less how the curl looks, thats not the issue anymore.
2c thick, heavy waves. Started CG (lo poo) in July '07. before that I straightened it and used hot rollers for years. pw wavy

Comments

• JamieVJamieV Registered Users Posts: 158
    And I would give anything for it to look as cute as it does in that old picture..but its not even close! Its so ugly now!
    2c thick, heavy waves. Started CG (lo poo) in July '07. before that I straightened it and used hot rollers for years. pw wavy
  • CheetaraCheetara Registered Users Posts: 2,182 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe you need to clarify with sulfate shampoo? Do you clip your hair? I clip my hair along my part to create height as it dries.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

I have clarified and it doesn't help:( I have clipped it and didn't like the results. I feel like I'd need to clip my whole head.
  • baseballmamabaseballmama Registered Users Posts: 33
    My hair did dramatically different things during both of my pregnancies. During my first (which was a boy - not sure if that has anything to do with it or not) my hair really kinked up but after he was born (while I was still breastfeeding) all the curl fell out. I ended up getting a pixie cut because I didn't know what else to do with it (not that I'm recommending that - the growing out process was hell). During my second pregnancy (a girl this time) all the curl fell out. I eventually got a perm to get something going because I was still growing out that pixie cut (not recommending that either necessarily but I was not CG then). But after she was born the curl came back.

So, all that to say, I think hormones have a lot to do with it. My suggestions (after telling you what NOT to do based on my experiences) is to either wear it up a lot or try some hot rollers to get some volume.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    Do you diffuse?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Yes, I do diffuse.
    This is my first boy. The other 3 were girls. I wonder if that would really have anything to do with it.
    I have actually had a pixie cut and perms before lol.....I agree...not something I want to do. It took me forever to grow it out. I am starting to get to where I can't get away with as much of a variety of hairstyles anymore.
    Thanks ya'll for your help:)
    I just wanted to add a quick update. Although I have clarified recently, I started thinking this morning and decided to clarify just focusing on the roots, rather than all of my hair. So this time I did just that and scrubbed pretty good (with my finger, not nails of course;) ) and my hair is still wet but its got more volume at the roots already like it does in its normal state! So thanks again for all of the ideas. Sometimes it could be something so obvious as that. I still think its probably a pregnancy thing too and something I will have to just deal with for a few more months. Thanks again though.
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    Is it growing in thicker? maybe the thicker, healthier hair growth is causing it to just lay there.

I'm a 2b, most of time I wear it straight, and I also got a LOT of length taken off my top layer; overall my hair is about bra strap length but the aggressive stylist cut 6-7 inches off top layers so they are about jaw length, which has given me a lot more volume, though I'm not crazy about the thinner look on the length.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    I don't think its thicker...its probably thinner if anything but really the best way to describe it is limper. I have always wished my hair was thinner because it was too poofy...now I want the poofiness back! I got mine cut too hoping for more volume and it did help, but not at the roots like I had hope (since my hair tends to be heavy)
  • pinzpinz Registered Users Posts: 8
    Just anecdotal, but I had my most gorgeous, curly hair when I was pregnant with my daughter and limp, lifeless waves when I was pregnant with my son.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file