We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

What's your night time routine??

curlylocs232curlylocs232 Posts: 143Registered Users
Hi all!

I am desperately trying to find a way to maintain my wash and go for more than two days. I can't cope with detangling so often! I think the key may be in my night time routine.

I have hair that moulds very easily - how I put it is generally how it will stay, so the 'pineapple' doesn't work for me at all. I end up with straight sides and look much like Don King in the mornings!

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to sleep at night with my wash and go?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been a thread already. I'm a newbie!!! x

Comments

• TogyTogy Posts: 16Registered Users
    My hair sounds really similar to yours, when I try to pineapple it is just a hot mess when I take it down in the morning. I put my hair in five or six loose twists (sometimes I'll put oil on my hair) and then take them out in the morning. That has been the best thing for me, and it allows me to keep my wash and go for about three days. If I feel that it is looking to dry or frizzy, I'll spray my hair with some water or a water and conditioner mix and put some oil on top, and then do the same twist method. Hope this helps!
  • curlylocs232curlylocs232 Posts: 143Registered Users
    Togy, thanks.
    I'm going to give this a go! I'll let you know how it goes! x
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    I put my hair in 8 pineapples. 2 on top, 1 on each side, and 4 in the back. When I get up in the morning I take them down and fluff out the parts. I get stretched, fluffy, big hair and still keep my definition by leaving the ends alone. I get very few tangles this way too.
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • _Michael11_Michael11 Posts: 90Registered Users
    i put my durag on and sleep on my hott pink silk pillow!
    goal hair length- waist length
    I LOVE HAIR!!!
    **My Big Hair Don't Journey--"Please check me out" :nike:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fkingsmith1991%3Ffeature%3Dmhee%23p%2Fa%2Fu%2F1%2FCQ-J0dmftw8" class="Popup

comic-p.jpg
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,748Registered Users Curl Novice
    i put my durag on and sleep on my hott pink silk pillow!

lol me too minus the durag.

When I did wng's I just slept on a silk pillowcase. Misted with water the next morning and ran a light oil through it to "shape" it back to how I wanted it. Or I would let the steam hit it and it would pop back but the trick was to not bother it at nite. I would score 4 or 5 days.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • Mimi2010Mimi2010 Posts: 189Registered Users
    I'm dying to ask why is it hot pink? Are you speaking of something else?
    Thanks Ladies! I will give all of these a go before I go back to work. I'm dreading having to fight with my hair when I have to leave the house at 7am!

Also, do you ever do your hair at night instead of cowashing and detangling in the morning?

Loving the hot pink pillow case! I need one of those! Lol x
    Lol! I've just realised we're not all ladies!! Lol@ the hot pink pillow case! Sorry! x
  • kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    I divide my hair into 7-8 random sections. Lightly moisturize and seal in moisture with oil. Use the banding method to keep my hair stretched out. Wake up & fluff out :-) now that my hair is longer o find that this method is working well, I am having some trouble with SSK's though :-(
    kinkycurlyDT, I'm new to all the abbreviations - SSK's?
    I've considered banding but because my hair moulds into quite strange shapes, I have avoided it. Do you still have a definite curl in the morning?
  • BrinstarrBrinstarr Posts: 90Registered Users
    My hair's only about 4-6 inches so...I pretty much just spray it, slap some coconut oil in it, wrap and and knock myself out. Same thing for my morning routine sans the wrapping.
  • kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    kinkycurlyDT, I'm new to all the abbreviations - SSK's?
    I've considered banding but because my hair moulds into quite strange shapes, I have avoided it. Do you still have a definite curl in the morning?

SSK's are single strand knots. I have very coily thick, dense hair. My hair is very prone to knotting an tangles.I do have curl definition in the morning, I just take out the bands and fluff, but not to much because I don't want frizz!
  • Mimi2010Mimi2010 Posts: 189Registered Users
    I have tons of ssk's. Not sure why as I keep my hair moisturizer and I don't use cones and I'm modified CG.
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    Pineapples don't work for me either, so I do one of these:
    1. Put my hair up in a locsoc. It's like a pineapple without the "molding", and I can just shake and go the next day (I may spritz sometimes). There are other alternatives to the locsoc.
    2. If I want to stretch the curls a little and/or I need to moisturize, I'll put my hair in twists using a hair milk.
    3. Be lazy (or fall asleep) on my satin pillowcase. I can revive the squished curls with spritz and/or hair milk.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Posts: 423Registered Users
    I put it up in a bun then take it down shake and go. I cant w all the extra stuff im lazy!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
    Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
    Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
    Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com" class="Popup
  • AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Posts: 200Registered Users
    I'm a stay at home mom, and my daughter wears me out. So by the time it's time for me to go to bed, I don't want to do anything extra. So I just sleep on it with a satin bonnet, and fluff out any smashed areas in the morning lol. I use a lot of gel for my WNG's, and I don't care about crunchiness, because I have found when I sleep on slightly crunchy hair, when I get up in the morning it's frizz free and the crunch is gone for the most part. I might have to try the multi-pineapples, one big one would NOT work for my hair!
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.
    -Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
    -Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
    -Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

Rotation:

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
    Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
    DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
    Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
    Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
    Gel: SM Curl Souffle

Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fafrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Posts: 216Registered Users
    BUMP! for this thread :D Thanks OP

my hair is JUST starting to get long enough where it tangles madly in my sleep...

I would love if someone could post some options for those who don't like sleeping w/ buns (they give me headaches when I lay down)...
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well I tried sleeping with 6 twists in my hair last night. It didn't work - I woke up with matted hair, as usual. When I undid the twists, most of them look like dreadlocs instead of curls. I'm starting to hate my hair. I can't keep washing it every morning. I'm so close to going back to the flat iron. I'm a teacher so I'm on summer holidays now so I have the hours in the morning to wash and detangle. But when I go back to work in two weeks, this isn't going to work. Washing and detangling every morning, plus dressing and feeding a four year old and all before leaving the house at 7am! I don't think so!! It's a shame but I have to admit, for the 5th summer in a row now, my hair has beaten me. Pass the GHD's.... :'(

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • PrettyGirlRockPrettyGirlRock Posts: 31Registered Users
    I have some ideas. I will post later tonight cuz I'm away from the PC right now. I might do a video to illustrate what I do.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
    Thanks prettygirl - I've just reread my last post - wow, how dramatic! I'm afraid that drama queen trait runs in the family! Lol!
    Now I've put my hair in a puff and it looks almost decent, I'm ready to try out all the other suggestions from you guys! I'm too easily defeated, obviously!! x

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    I sleep with a satin bonnet on, then fluff out my hair in the morning or spritz it with my water, conditioner, oil mix. I can get up to 6 day hair like this.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fpapiermachecurls" class="Popup

s-event.pngs-event.png
    So...I'm still persevering (spelling?!) with the night time suggestions. My hair is too huge for the satin bonnet without twists or a pony, so as I keep waking up without curls, I've ordered a couple of satin pillow cases. Some people have suggested not covering my hair and just sleeping on the satin case, so I'll see how that goes.
    Just thought I'd update to let you know I've given your suggestions a go and to say thanks again for all your input! x
  • babehbabesbabehbabes Posts: 15Registered Users
    yeah i have a similar problem, starting my senior year of high school and i have 4 AP classes. i really need a easy method that i can do with out my hair looking like a mess so i can run out in the morning. but i get my hair braided bc i'm very bad at flat ironing. PLEASE give an easy method
    3c/4a

Weekly Regimen:
    AOHSR + Olive oil + Jojoba Oil + peppermint oil (for smell) pre poo
    Elasta Q creme shampoo
    tresseme naturals +olive oil +peppermint oil leave in
    Eco styler argon oil braid out

Last Relaxer October 2009
    BC August 19 2010
  • Tuchie09Tuchie09 Posts: 388Registered Users
    Just curious, have you tried a Sue Maesta hood? I found it through one of Elle's YT videos on her WnG nighttime routines.

This is a link to the product:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rickysnyc.com%2Fhair-products%2Fhair-products-accessories%2Fsue-maesta%2Fsue-maesta-floral-hood-pink.html" class="Popup

And this is the link to her video she did 3 months ago:
    Nighttime Routine & Refreshing My Wash and Go for Natural Hair - YouTube

When I wear a WnG, I sleep with this hood, and in the morning I shake a little bit to help loosen the hair, then I just spritz with a water bottle until my hair is damp and revived. Takes all of 2 or 3 minutes. But every 2-3 days I co-wash with Daily Fix and either put a leave-in in or a gel.
    Curly in Okinawa, Japan where only the toughest curls can stand up to this heat and humidity.

My Arsenal:
    Shampoo: Waiting on SM African Black soap shampoo to makes its way to me...
    Conditioner(s): CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, CJ Repair Me!
    Oil: Apricot Kernel Oil
    Stylers: CD Loc Butter for twists, CJAF, CJCQ (haven't figured out how to work this though...)
  • naturalnewbnaturalnewb Posts: 193Registered Users
    Since my hair isn't that long, I am pretty much going to have a curly fro no matter what method I use (no hang). So, I just do the pineapple + satin bonnet. However, I know that my routine will change as my hair grows and I plan on trying out the homemade locsoc in the near future: Satin Bonnet Struggles - YouTube
    Tuchie09 wrote: »
    Just curious, have you tried a Sue Maesta hood? I found it through one of Elle's YT videos on her WnG nighttime routines.

This is a link to the product:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rickysnyc.com%2Fhair-products%2Fhair-products-accessories%2Fsue-maesta%2Fsue-maesta-floral-hood-pink.html" class="Popup

And this is the link to her video she did 3 months ago:
    Nighttime Routine & Refreshing My Wash and Go for Natural Hair - YouTube

When I wear a WnG, I sleep with this hood, and in the morning I shake a little bit to help loosen the hair, then I just spritz with a water bottle until my hair is damp and revived. Takes all of 2 or 3 minutes. But every 2-3 days I co-wash with Daily Fix and either put a leave-in in or a gel.

OMG! I think this is IT! thank you!!
    I managed to find a way of keeping my wng half decent. I pineappled the back of my hair and pinned the front down. I put my satin bonnet over the pineapple and then wrapped my satin scarf over the front of my hair. It's worked so far but I like the fact that the hood only takes a second to put on. Gotta try one of these! thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file