The Beauty of FSG

rolltidegalrolltidegal Registered Users Posts: 307
This thread is dedicated to the delicate art that is the making of FSG. We've got the epic threads about how to make it, why to make it, what to add, etc. And we've got lots of mentions of how "gross" it looks/feels/etc.

Well, I'm breaking free of the mold. I absolutely love making FSG. Sure, it tends to do funny gloppy things that could be considered "gross" when you're pouring it into your storage container of choice, but I prefer to think of it as misunderstood, rather than gross.

I thoroughly enjoy the physical process of making FSG. I'm up to three or four successful batches, so now instead of anxiously standing over the stove, watching my every move and praying that I don't screw up, I'm confident enough in my experience to sit back and appreciate the beauty. You know how when you're boiling water to cook, and the water hits that pre-boil stage? It's not at a good, rolling boil yet, but the surface of the water is mostly calm with bubbles popping up. I love watching the flax seeds pop up in that pre-boil stage, blossoming like flowers. And I think it smells nice, a bit like weak tea.

And now, I wax philosophical about the beauty of making FSG. The hair industry is a multi-billion dollar industry that capitalizes on the insecurities of women as well as the unrealistic expectations of society. Homemade hair products are the ultimate bucking of this oppressive industry, and a strong expression of confidence in our hair and our own abilities. Making FSG is empowering!

Anyway. That's my distracted little rambling session. Surely I can't be the only one who feels this way?
Roll Tide!
I was at the 2009 and 2011 BCS National Championship Games :)

Medium-coarse, super high density, normal porosity, low elasticity.
I'm currently trying out various Curl Junkie and Devacurl products.

Fotki: fotki.com/rolltidegal
password is 'rolltide'

Comments

• beachcurlbeachcurl Registered Users Posts: 22
    Well said, rolltidegal. I have been making my own for several years now. It speaks volumes that it is a product I always have in my routine considering I am a PJ.

Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream topped with FSG and a little drug store gel for hold in the Alabama humidity is a winner for me this summer. Its somewhat watery consistency helps me to distribute it by "squishing" it into my curls. Btw, War Eagle.
    CG since 1st CG book :nike:
  • QuirkyCatQuirkyCat Registered Users Posts: 28
    From your username, I'm guessing you're a bama fan! Me too! :P roll tide!

Anyhoo... I've made a few batches of FSG with honey and they turned out pretty good. I used it under another gel, and I was frizz-free and defined for the whole day.
    2b/c/low porosity/medium thick
    CG since 5/24/11
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Conditioner: Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Styler: KCCC
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Registered Users Posts: 216
    I want to make a batch with honey and olive oil, but I'm not sure how much of each to add. Is there any limit (so I don't make it too runny or sticky). Or can a just add as much as I see fit, and keep experimenting?

BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ajgrneyesajgrneyes Registered Users Posts: 103 Curl Neophyte
    Start off with just a little, see how your hair reacts to it and then add more as you see fit. Thats the beauty of fsg, you can experiment with it.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using CurlTalk App
    sulfate, silicone and protein free since 6/11
    porosity - normal to low
    elasticity - normal

love my curls :love4:
    HGs:
    FSG
    Henna
    My own butter mixture
    My own version of Terressentials mud wash
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Registered Users Posts: 216
    ajgrneyes wrote: »
    Start off with just a little, see how your hair reacts to it and then add more as you see fit. Thats the beauty of fsg, you can experiment with it.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using CurlTalk App

BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • apatt4975apatt4975 Registered Users Posts: 142
    I usually add 1tbsp oil and 1tsp honey. More honey equals more hold.

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App
  • 4Melanie4Melanie Registered Users Posts: 85
    Hello mind if I jump in? I love the fsg but it doesn't give me enough hold in the Texas heat. What extra gel do you use for hold? I tried lasg but it feels to producty????
    Thank you

Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App

3b....:icescream:
    not for sure about my other "stuff" :wav:
    Still new and trying to get a routine
  • ajgrneyesajgrneyes Registered Users Posts: 103 Curl Neophyte
    I live in Florida and dew points today were 78 :disgust: and when i use my FSG my hair holds up pretty good; I've been able to get 2nd and 3rd day hair with it. I add a little AVG and honey to my FSG for extra holding power - maybe that could work.
    sulfate, silicone and protein free since 6/11
    porosity - normal to low
    elasticity - normal

love my curls :love4:
    HGs:
    FSG
    Henna
    My own butter mixture
    My own version of Terressentials mud wash
    I've tried that but just end up feeling like I have to much product :(
    Another suggestion from another thread was to use a tsp of cornstarch, I may give that a go
    I love the softness and curl definition but within three or four hours I am a poodle in desperate need of a shearing!

• cysycacysyca Registered Users Posts: 362
    I'm new to FSG and so far my hair loves it. I only add 3 drops of lavender oil to my FSG but for my W&G I add a little KCCC to define my curls.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Live For Today!
    Any more suggestions for more hold would be appreciated TIA

• EmbreEmbre Registered Users Posts: 58
    Anyone have any tricks/techniques for straining their FSG?....that work. I have tried a mesh strainer, panty hose, cheese cloth, and no matter what I loose a good portion of my FSG (aka hair snot, around my house) in the gelatinous blob of flax seeds that goes in the trash.
    Shannon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since Oct 2010
    3a, fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Most frequently used cleansing/conditioning products:
    • BioInfusion Cond. Balm
    • Shea Moisture Restorative Cond.
    • V05 Cond.(moisture milks)
    Most frequently used styling products:
    • Shea Moisture Curl Enhansing Smoothy
    • Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
    • Shea Moisture Curling Souflee
    • Curl Keeper
    • Design Essentials Naturals Moisturizing Lotion
    • AG:Recoil
    • CJ CCCL
    HG: None as of yet :-(
  • TammyHTammyH Registered Users Posts: 90
    Gotta include me as a fan of FSG. At first, I thought there was no way this stuff could work for me. But I was wrong. So far I've made 2 successful batches. The 3rd went downhill because I had used the same seeds from my previous batches & I definitely think they loose their potency. I knew it wasn't right because there was no gloppy gluey consistency to it.

My hair just loves this stuff!

sent from my HTC Inspire
  • Stormy1958Stormy1958 Registered Users Posts: 99
    Embre wrote: »
    Anyone have any tricks/techniques for straining their FSG?....that work. I have tried a mesh strainer, panty hose, cheese cloth, and no matter what I loose a good portion of my FSG (aka hair snot, around my house) in the gelatinous blob of flax seeds that goes in the trash.

I use very stretchy panty hose and metal grill tongs, the Napturals85 way (youtube her flax seed video, its great) I dont loose too much this way
    "The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do, and who will be sharing the adventure with them." -Denis Watley

event.png
    *From Training*
  • LanishaLanisha Registered Users Posts: 467 Curl Neophyte
    I too love the smell of cooking flax seeds. I don't know what others are smellig when they say it stinks. I use folden flax. Maybe that is why? Or maybe they smell the same. I don't know since I've never used the regular kind. I like to watch the seeds "bloom" too.
  • Jas76Jas76 Registered Users Posts: 2,283 Curl Neophyte
    FSG convert, here! Made my first batch this past week, and I'm in LOVE!

I added a little corn starch and epsom, and in my palm I add KY (yes, as in THAT KY) and a few drops of jojoba oil.

In my next batch I'm going to add the jojoba right into the fsg, as well as add some gelatin (for protein). I'm also going to try whipping it with a hand blender to see if i can get a better, less "stringy" texture!

So glad I tried this!!

I do have to add a gel over it, though. But I use less of that gel than I used to, for sure! (I use HESMU, fyi.)
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file