how long does your hair take to air dry?

WavySingerGirlWavySingerGirl Registered Users Posts: 33
The subject pretty much says it all: How long does it take your hair to air dry?

My hair is middle/average density and takes on average 3-4 hours to dry. I remember reading somewhere that if your hair takes a long time to dry that you still need to get your hair to the right moisture balance. Is that right? Is 3-4 hours for average hair too long? My hair is feeling softer/less dry these days, but this makes me wonder...

Tell me your experiences!
CG since Jan 2008!

2ab//low porosity//fine-medium texture//thick//low elasticity
Fia: 2ab//F//iii

Co-Wash: Suave Natural Coconut
Rinse-out: SN Coconut or GFTN
Leave-in: SN Coconut
Styling: BRHG, Set It Free, HETT
Dislikes: glycerin, mineral oil
Loves: Protein!

Current Products in Trial: Renpure Organics condish (red), LAL Sports Gel, LOOB

Comments

• rheostaticsfanrheostaticsfan Registered Users Posts: 79
    maybe 2.5 hours to `mostly` dry. Then another hour to ``really`` dry. I have fine hair on the thin side of normal.
    2a(?)/F/ii (Fia).
    New to having waves. Don't care if it's curly or not but this surface frizz drives me NUTS.
    Baby Fine. On the thin side of average. Low porosity.
    Atopic dermatitis/eczema. Too many allergies and sensitivities to count.
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Without diffusing I can easily go over the 7 to 8 hour mark. Its not even an option.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I never really understood how it took people so long for their hair to dry! I think I'm around the 2-3 hour mark myself but I suppose I do plop for about 30-40 mins if I can which takes out quite a bit of moisture.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• ThickHairedQTThickHairedQT Registered Users Posts: 542 Curl Neophyte
    My hair takes about 7-8 hrs to air dry. I think it takes so long because its really thick and I have a lot of it. On wash days, I wash it before I go to bed and put twists all over.when I wake up in the morning its almost completely dry.
  • itsiliiiitsiliii Registered Users Posts: 340
    About 2 hours for it to start looking decent but a good 3-4 for it to be finally done drying XD

It's so annoying and makes me want to go out and invest in a good diffuser!!
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    Productless - 2-3 hours
    With LI and gel (FSG makes it dry realllllly slow) - 4 to 6 hours. The more product, the longer the dry time.

I had never heard that about about the moisture balance. I think it has more to do with texture, porosity, density and length. Course hair takes longer than fine hair, and non porous hair takes longer than porous hair, etc.
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I put a ton of product in my hair. After I diffuse part way it takes 3-4 hours to dry. I rarely just air dry, but I'd guess 5-6 hours?? with product in it.
    If my damp hair is allowed associate too closely with other hairs (in rollers, in damp pineapple, pin curls, etc.), it will form a union and refuse to dry. It must take a little while to organize the union, because it will be a tad dryer, but not much. Good thing I'm not living before the 1960's because my hair sets would never dry.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    Mine is average density, medium-coarse, low porosity.

If i do a great job squeezing out water with the t-shirt, about 5 hours to dry.

Mind you, this is WAY less time than it used to take!

I do not think slow drying hair is any sort of indication of hair needing moisture or whatever, it's more to do with porosity, texture, and amount of hair. And how much stuff you put in it - I've always left in conditioner and either gel or mousse so that makes it slower I am sure.
    When mine was all one length and over a yard long, it took 36 hours to dry, usually. A night, a day, and a night. Combination of length, density, texture and porosity.
    Like Ped, mine doesn't dry if it's wrapped or braided. If I ponytail it will still be wet in the inside the next day, roller sets never dry without some serious heat.

But I do air dry usually anyway. Wake up at 5 so it's always dry by lunchtime and my work doesn't care, other people with curly hair come in with it wet, it's not just me.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • WavyTinaWavyTina Registered Users Posts: 54
    Productless: 2-3 hours, with mousse or gel: 4 1/2
    It's terrible, having my hair wet for more than half the school day, I'm so glad I bought a diffuser.
    2b waves
    Medium texture, high porosity
    Bronde & shoulder length, trying to grow it past my shoulder blades.
    Went natural on June 4th, 2010
    My hair is hungry for PROTEIN!! :munky2:
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Registered Users Posts: 571
    9 hours.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • KsLiZCuRlZKsLiZCuRlZ Registered Users Posts: 272
    Low porosity really dense hair causes it to take 10 hours

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    CG..yep that's me!

:occasion7:
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Registered Users Posts: 640
    UGH, my hair is so thick and it's low/medium porosity, so naturally it takes eons to dry. It also probably doesn't help that I put gel in it :laughing6: With gel, it takes about 3 hours to get to a decently wearable stage -- it looks crunchy because it's wet, but it's by no means bad. I guess it kind of likes to chill at that stage for a while because it looks basically the same for the next 2 or so hours. And then, randomly, it just poofs out and is dry! Too weird! My hair pretty much SOTCs itself. And then I am left with big swirly wurls that took five hours to show up. :glasses8:
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • WavySingerGirlWavySingerGirl Registered Users Posts: 33
    Thanks, everyone! Sounds like I'm pretty average in this department: 2 hours productless, 4-5 with gel, NEVER if in a pineapple.
    swtndspcy wrote: »
    I had never heard that about about the moisture balance. I think it has more to do with texture, porosity, density and length. Course hair takes longer than fine hair, and non porous hair takes longer than porous hair, etc.

This makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Having a baby, I just can't walk around with wet hair and expect it to look good after 5 hours. So I've been washing at night and pineapple-ing. It's still damp in the morning, but with a little LOOB to refresh, I think it's working pretty well! Now if I could just get him to stop pulling it... :)
    CG since Jan 2008!

2ab//low porosity//fine-medium texture//thick//low elasticity
    Fia: 2ab//F//iii

Co-Wash: Suave Natural Coconut
    Rinse-out: SN Coconut or GFTN
    Leave-in: SN Coconut
    Styling: BRHG, Set It Free, HETT
    Dislikes: glycerin, mineral oil
    Loves: Protein!

Current Products in Trial: Renpure Organics condish (red), LAL Sports Gel, LOOB
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Registered Users Posts: 557
    OMG this is an eye-opener for me. I always thought it was just me that took hours to dry my hair and walk around with (hard) wet wavy curls. And I thought you all could SOTC after an hour or so...

Sent from my HTC Legend using CurlTalk App
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • CurlyUniqueCurlyUnique Registered Users Posts: 94
    my hair is fine, super thick, low porosity, and chin length. It takes over two hours to air dry. It doesn't really bother me that it takes this long cause I just throw on a headband and it dries in place so my hair is already styled for the day.
    2c/3a with some 2b-fine/coarse-iii-low porosity-normal elasticity
    [FONT=&quot]Started CG 10/16/12
    Co-Wash
    :[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Vo5 Kiwi Lime [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Conditioner:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Tresemme Naturals
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Styling Products:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] La Bella Lots of Curls gel [/FONT]
  • curlywhocurlywho Registered Users Posts: 119
    I have thin, fine hair but it still takes me almost five hours to air dry. Every salon I've ever been to has said something about how much water my hair holds. It takes about 45 mins to mostly dry with a diffuser.
    Hair Properties:
    2b/3a
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Thick
    Loves Protein, hates oil of any kind, takes FOREVER to dry.

Products:
    (I mix and match depending on the day)
    Occasional Low-poo: Burt's Bees
    Conditioner: GCP
    Ecostyler Gel
    CIAB
    As I am Curling Jelly

Recently Purchased:
    Rockin Ringlets
    Curl Keeper
    Confident Coils

Microfiber Plop (10 mins)
    Super-soaker
    Diffuse-dry
  • hoodiehoodie Registered Users Posts: 32
    I washed my hair at 5:30 this morning and it's 9:15 now...still damp. I usually get impatient and diffuse or sleep on it, so I'm not sure, but I'd guess more than 4 hours.
    2B - high porosity, low elacticity

CG steady since September '11

My routine (for now!)
    Co Wash: Suave Naturals, VO5, or TJ's
    Rinse-Out: 50/50 mix GVP Conditioning Balm & TJ's TTT
    Low-Poo: TJ's TTT or Burt's Bees Pom
    Leave-In: More GVP Conditioning Balm
    DT: Olive & Jojoba Oil. Looking to try coconut soon!
    Stylers: KCCC, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Joico Joiwhip, AVG, LaBella Lots of Curls....depends on the day

...always on the lookout for the next great product/technique!
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    From soaked to dry, with product in it, around 3-4 hours. I cowashed this morning around 7, and my hair was 100% dry by 11.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • Aussie_DogAussie_Dog Registered Users Posts: 27
    OMG this is an eye-opener for me. I always thought it was just me that took hours to dry my hair and walk around with (hard) wet wavy curls. And I thought you all could SOTC after an hour or so...

Same here. Quite enlightening to know I'm not the only one.

On average, my hair (hair length to just past armpits, borderline-thin, average porosity and texture) takes no less than 4 hours to dry, when I have the time to wash and let it air-dry. 4 hours is really the earliest I feel safe scrunching the crunch, but there's still random curls that feel "squooshy", not quite dry but not really wet either. Just kind of moist.

I typically shower and plop at night, and when I get up (about 9 hours later) my hair is still wet, not a dry hair to be found. But it dries pretty quickly at that point, about an hour (when I leave for work). A half hour later, when I get to work, it's dry enough to scrunch.

Before CG, I would wear my hair in a half-ponytail, a style I hated (and still despise), but it was invaluable for it's efficiency at keeping clumps of hair from flopping in my face. Anyway, I'd shower, brush the top of my head back into that ponytail, and head to work. Some 10 hours or so, when I'd arrive home, I might remove the hairclip and discover that that particular section was still somewhat damp. Not drippy, exactly, but definitely not dry. Cold and clammy to the touch, too.
    Some people are like slinkies... Not really good for anything, but
    you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • currlybirdcurrlybird Registered Users Posts: 33
    My hair is quite fine but dense. However, before CG on a warm day it would dry in less than an hour. Now with all the moisture and gels it takes 2-3. I've been using the "yoga mat" method for a few minutes if I want to speed it up. Seems to be the best way to stave off the frizz which I will even get a bit from careful pixie diffusing.
    2C - fine but lots of it, porous.
    Religiously CG since Sept. 2008
    Products: for cowash/condish mostly Deva but about to try CJ; lately loving BRHG, new Deva Foam
  • luvs2sinnngggluvs2sinnnggg Registered Users Posts: 111
    my hair isn't super thick but it takes absolutely FOREVER to air dry. like hours and hours. I've never actually timed it though.

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk
  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Registered Users Posts: 1,847
    with plopping for 15 minutes, it takes for 3 hours
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    currlybird wrote: »
    My hair is quite fine but dense. However, before CG on a warm day it would dry in less than an hour. Now with all the moisture and gels it takes 2-3. I've been using the "yoga mat" method for a few minutes if I want to speed it up. Seems to be the best way to stave off the frizz which I will even get a bit from careful pixie diffusing.

What is the yoga mat method?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• shizzlebeansshizzlebeans Registered Users Posts: 68
    With plopping 15 minutes and diffusing for about 10 minutes, I can SOTC about three hours later, although it tends to still be a little damp at the roots.
    scientist, cat owner, hobby photographer
    2b-c, medium porosity, medium texture, protein-indifferent
    former straightening junkie; CG since August 2011
    conditioners: V05 Kiwi Lime, Garnier pure clean, Renpure Keratin
    products: FSG, LALSG, AIF, BRHG, Tresemme hair spray
    styling tools: microfiber towel for plopping, diffuser
  • currlybirdcurrlybird Registered Users Posts: 33
    :angel9:
    plunkybug wrote: »
    currlybird wrote: »

What is the yoga mat method?

I saw it mentioned in the NEW CG book. You lie on the mat with your hair splayed out and blow dry it that way. I tried it and it works for me because the hair can't blow all over the place so I can dry it without creating frizz. I suppose it doesn't have to be a Yoga mat--you can lie on a towel or whatever-- but if you have one, it's convenient. It looks pretty silly though -- here's a picture! (Another benefit, if you take a photo while lying on your back it takes 10 years off! LOL):compress:
    2C - fine but lots of it, porous.
    Religiously CG since Sept. 2008
    Products: for cowash/condish mostly Deva but about to try CJ; lately loving BRHG, new Deva Foam
  • oovuuoovuu Registered Users Posts: 22
    I try and get as much water out as I can before I plop, and then I plop for anywhere in between 15 - 30 minutes. Even with that, it takes 3 - 5 hours to finish drying.

My hair is also insanely thick though. Pulled back my pony has a diametre of like, 1.5 inches.
    2A/B, low to normal elasticity. curly girl forever~
    conditioner: tresemme naturals nourishing conditioner
    leave-in: aveeno positively nourishing leave-in treatment
    detangling spray: john frieda root awakening detangling spray
    mousse: herbal essences tousle me softly mousse
  • natasjaharleynatasjaharley Registered Users Posts: 3
    my hair takes 7 to 8 hours to airdry or more! so i have to wash my hair at night and let it dry while i sleep. and yes when i wake up it still is damp in the thicker section in the back, underneath. then once i wake up it can be another 2 hours before that thick part in the back is dry. sometimes i use a diffuser to dry the back section partway so it dries at the same time as the rest of the hair... i just hate that there is always some tangle-y frizz when you diffuse, not like the perfect shiny curls i can get if i wait the painstaking 7+ hours for my hair to airdry. that said i definitely don't wash my hair every night... i would spend more time with wet hair than dry hair! that can't be good.
  • LibrijenneLibrijenne Registered Users Posts: 16
    I think my hair takes 5-6 hours to dry. Med-thick, coarse, long, and it has all the other behaviors of high-po hair. I washed it last night, plopped for 20 minutes in microfiber lined with a t-shirt, then diffused for another 5-min or so. Pineappled, slept in a satin cap, and when I got up this morning, it was still damp. Next time I wash it, I think I'll time it.
    2b/c, coarse, highly porous, low elasticity
    Classic-length, henna gloss over natural red

Clean: Deva Low-Poo
    Condition: Deva One Condition, Suave Naturals
    Oil: Camellia oil, Coconut Oil, or Castor Oil
    Style: FSG

CG-ish since Fall 2012, Getting serious Feb 2013
  • chloe92uschloe92us Registered Users Posts: 1,203 Curl Neophyte
    My hair takes 2-3 hours to air dry. It is just past shoulder length.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Registered Users Posts: 610 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is normal porosity, BSL/MBL; my naked hair (zero product, no LI or anything) takes about 2-3 hours to dry if I scrunch out the extra water with a microfiber towel and/or plop. When I style my hair with product, it can take anywhere from 4-6 hours to dry completely.
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file