We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

What to use in place of Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly?

I am almost out of SSCEJ, and I was hoping someone could recommend a replacement product that would mimic the effects, at least until Spiral Solutions reopens. I have been mixing it with KCCC to get extra hold and body. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Armpit length (dry), middle of back wet, 2c/3a, fine, porous, color-over-gray, normal elasticity. Trying so hard to grow it out.
CG since June 2011 and loving it so far.
Product Junkie-love anything CJ. Used to love KT and KCCC, but lately doing nothing for my hair but flattening it.
Am experimenting with products to see what works for me. Seems like I get different results every day even if I use the same products!

Comments

• mrsgp101310mrsgp101310 Posts: 182Registered Users
    Im in the same boat as you, running out of SSCEJ. I asked the same question a few days ago...I love the combo of the CEJ with KCCC. I've just been using up other things...Been using CJ CCCC the last couple of days, but i think i like the CEJ better. I bought AOMM as a possible replacement, but I don't think I like that..Hopefully Shantelle will open soon. Good luck :)
    Cyndi ~ TX CG since 11/10 :mrgreen:
    3a, medium texture, normal porosity & elasticity, medium density, color-treated, frizz-prone

Currently using:
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coco; AIA Coconut cowash
    Cleansing: CJ DF
    RO: CJ Smoothing,GVP CB
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion, AIA leave in
    Stylers: SCE Okra Gel; SCE CC; SCE HHG, SSCEJ, SSFHG, AIA Curl Jelly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm DREADING running out. So, I'm doing some of my other routines in the meantime and just using CEJ when I really want or need it.
    Other things I use are:
    KCCC (alone)
    BBFSG & CIAB (layered, not mixed - FSG first, then CIAB over top)
    HETT Mousse (alone)
    HETT Gel (alone)
    CJCQ (alone)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users
    I'm dreading running out, too! I'm down to my last 1/4 of the bottle. I wonder how Re:Coil would do as a substitute? It also has mag sulfate, right? So maybe it would perform similarly?

I have used CEJ with KCCC before, but have just discovered the magic that is the CEJ/FHG combo. I *need* this stuff!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the CurlTalk app!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,210Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cj aloe fix gel alone, not even a leave in!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Mimi2010Mimi2010 Posts: 189Registered Users
    I could have sworn I saw it for sale at curl mart.
  • SbudskySbudsky Posts: 261Registered Users
    I get very similar results from homemade flax seed gel with aloe, jojoba oil, and sea salt mixed in....
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
    rbb wrote: »

You use the regular Aloe Fix, right? Not AFL? I have yet to try the regular one. Maybe now is the time. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,422Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
    RacerWife7 wrote: »

You use the regular Aloe Fix, right? Not AFL? I have yet to try the regular one. Maybe now is the time. ;)

yes, the regular aloe fix. it's great even in very high dews. i just think it won't work in very low dews.

also, i do NOT run it through my hair, makes it :sad10:.
    i blot the excess water out of my hair, then scrunch it in. it does dry hard, but i sotc when it is dry and it is then very soft.

i think if you work it through versus scrunching it in you get different results.

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love CJ, but unfortunately Aloe Fix isn't a product that works for me. I have more luck with the Aloe Fix Lite. The products I find the most similar to CEJ are:
    - EWSAJ or Duchess of Curls (I find EWSAJ to be the same & cheaper)
    - Silk Naturals Make Waves Curl Gel (I find this to be a curl enhancer rather than a gel)
    - DM's Miracurl
    - UFD
    - KC's Tiny Twists

None if them are exactly like CEJ, but they all work well on my hair. They have a similar consistency as CEJ. I'm really hoping that SS will open soon.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
    RacerWife7 wrote: »

yes, the regular aloe fix. it's great even in very high dews. i just think it won't work in very low dews.
    also, i do NOT run it through my hair, makes it :sad10:.
    i blot the excess water out of my hair, then scrunch it in. it does dry hard, but i sotc when it is dry and it is then very soft.

i think if you work it through versus scrunching it in you get different results.

Thanks!! :) I'll have to try that. ...After all this time being such an avid CJPJ, you'd think I would have tried CJAF by now, right!?! Maybe it's time. :)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I actually like the regular AF better, too. I use a little "cocktail" of Curl Fix and BC LI under it. Nice soft curls that last all day--it doesn't get better then that.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rbb, I bought some AF from AveYou yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

Today and yesterday I used CCCC under CJCQ and got some serious spirals. We've had rain, rain, and more rain so I was hoping to keep my curls from frizzing. It worked really well. I did the same thing today except for changing condish (yesterday I used CJBSC; today I used CJAO). Too soon to tell if this holds up all day as well as it did yesterday. But, we'll see.

...Trying all kinds of things as an alternative to SS CEJ. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
    i like cccc and plan on using it as my afg in the winter, it is good in low dews. it works best for me by itself, but i may do some combos this winter. for some reason i have never gotten cjcq to work for me, i've tried it in many variations several times. my daughter was happy to take it off my hands, it works great for her. she uses cjcq with afl with success.

marsha has such great products there is always something that will work is my thinking!

• VendraziVendrazi Posts: 17Registered Users
    I bought CEJ months and months ago and then let it sit around forever (because I had overdosed on products...I'm sure none of you have ever done something like that, right?). I started using it recently and I'm like, This is the BOMB. Of course, now I have to hoard it again. :angry4: So I am really excited to read about all of these alternatives! (Of course, you're just stoking my PJ side.)
    Hair: 3b-3c, fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

If I'd known curly hair could be this beautiful 20 years ago, I would have ruled the world.
    I've been having REALLY good success with Jessicurl these last few days. I finally replenished my stock of Too Shea conditioner, so I've been using CJAO as a co-wash/RO, Jessicurl Too Shea! as a LI, then raking in JC Rockin' Ringlets and topping off with BRHG. (I also tried JC Confident Coils with the RR, but it didn't do anything for me and left me overly producty, so I left out that step.) I have great curls that are soft and defined.

I'm guessing that the mag sulfate in the RR is what's giving me the same curl enhancement that I love in the CEJ.
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

Ohhhhh, Rustina... you're almost making me want to try out my RR again. Every time I've tried it, I've HATED it. I can't remember if I ever used it without JCCC, though. So, judging by your experience, that may be what the problem was. Hmmm.... RR w/BRHG. Might be able to try that one.
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
    You never know! I had always tried it with the Confident Coils, and it was just blah. And more often than not, I'd get little tiny white flakes when my hair was dry. So I put the RR and CC away for awhile. But the RR is basically flaxseed gel with mag sulfate, and I kept thinking it had to have potential, so I left off the CC, and what do you know? Awesomeness!! Let me know if you try it!

Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I LOVE me some CEJ and some CJAF both lite and regular, and thought I hated JC stylers, but recently I rebought them and they FINALLY work for me. It's nice to have options.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Rustina wrote: »
    You never know! I had always tried it with the Confident Coils, and it was just blah. And more often than not, I'd get little tiny white flakes when my hair was dry. So I put the RR and CC away for awhile. But the RR is basically flaxseed gel with mag sulfate, and I kept thinking it had to have potential, so I left off the CC, and what do you know? Awesomeness!! Let me know if you try it!

I ALMOST did try it over the weekend. But, I've been working with CJAF trying to see what I could get to work and went with a combo of that and CJCQ, instead. ...I'm still considering trying it out again - and will at some point. I'll let you know when I do. ;) Thanks!

rymorg2 - HEY!! Good to see you!! :)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • AUsomecurlsAUsomecurls Posts: 22Registered Users
    FrizzBgone wrote: »
    I love CJ, but unfortunately Aloe Fix isn't a product that works for me. I have more luck with the Aloe Fix Lite. The products I find the most similar to CEJ are:
    - Silk Naturals Make Waves Curl Gel (I find this to be a curl enhancer rather than a gel)
    - DM's Miracurl
    - UFD
    - KC's Tiny Twists

None if them are exactly like CEJ, but they all work well on my hair. They have a similar consistency as CEJ. I'm really hoping that SS will open soon.

Hi, Frizzbgone, since I'm new to these conversations, would you kindly tell me what does EWSAJ and UFD stand for? I LOVE CEK but not that they're gone, I'm trying to find substitutes. Duchess of Curls are also out of stock on their gel and so is Ohm Aloe Hair Gel. I'm feeling frustrated that these good gels are out of stock. I'm just wondering what's going on with these three. Thank you again for your help. -AUsomecurls
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    FrizzBgone wrote: »
    - DM's Miracurl
    - UFD
    - KC's Tiny Twists

Hi, Frizzbgone, since I'm new to these conversations, would you kindly tell me what does EWSAJ and UFD stand for? I LOVE CEK but not that they're gone, I'm trying to find substitutes. Duchess of Curls are also out of stock on their gel and so is Ohm Aloe Hair Gel. I'm feeling frustrated that these good gels are out of stock. I'm just wondering what's going on with these three. Thank you again for your help. -AUsomecurls

I'm not FrizzBGone, but will answer your question.

EWSAJ=Essential Wholesale Simple Aloe Jelly. It's the base product (it has the exact same ingredients, in the same order) as the Duchess of Curl product. Only difference is the lavender EO. Forgot to add that it's significantly cheaper, LOL!

UFD=Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic. Originally, it was said to be a "clone" of KCCC. The ingredients are a little different.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Curlmart now has CEJ listed again!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lololol but its out of stock....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LizardlooLizardloo Posts: 75Registered Users
    I think only the small size is out of stock. I just bought the big size two weeks ago. I hope it's not all gone yet! Give it a try anyway :)
    Mod CG
    Normal 2b, my hair loves protein right now!

LowPoo/NoPoo: Renpure (green or red), BB, Deva NoPoo
    RO: OneC, Y2Cu
    Leave In: Y2Cu, CG Beauticulrs
    Style: CIAB, Garnier pure clean gel, AIF, SS CEJ, CCCL
    PT: Ion Effective Care or IAGirls' PT
  • AUsomecurlsAUsomecurls Posts: 22Registered Users
    Thank you SO much, Kathymac! Spelling out the acronyms sure is helpful! I'll look for the aloe gel and the Funky Uncle product also. All the CEJ is out of stock in all the sizes. Gosh, I never tried to order the large size since they wrote that the products were out of stock. Its been such a frustrating wait without any indication from Shantelle if they're even returning. Thanks a lot for helping me out!
  • coricourtcoricourt Posts: 31Registered Users
    kellysmum wrote: »
    I have been mixing [SS CEJ] with KCCC to get extra hold and body.

kellysmum and other SS CEJ users: I see some of you mix it with other products for more hold. Have you tried it under a real gel? I think of KCCC as a strong jelly but not really a gel. It sounds like CEJ is a light jelly which definitely needs something mixed in or over it. I'd love to hear more about this. Also, I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the silk protein. Usually my hair is not fond of protein but maybe since it is low on the list it would be fine.

I'm curious about the Spiral Solutions products in general because I've never tried them and they are so popular! I just ordered AOMM and I'm anxious to test it out.

For now, a pea-sized dab of KCKT raked through my hair + KCCC is my fall/winter HG. I will post picks soon! My hair is very soft (after I SOTC) and shiny without looking greasy. I get great clumpy and bouncey ringlets from the supersoaker method. If I'm in a hurry and don't supersoak my hair doesn't look as good.

So my main question for you is how do you use SS CEJ and how is it different than KCCC, for example? I would be interested in trying it but I'd like to research before buying.

Thanks!
    3a, fine+med textures; med dens (ii); low porosity; nrml elasticity; frizz; protein sens.
    CG since Sept '11

Products:
    NO sulfates, cones, parabens
    Co-wash- Desert Essences Frag Free
    Condish- Acure Lemongrass or AO Blue Camomile
    DT- Jessicurl
    Styling- AOMM + KCCC or Alaffia BeautCurls Shea LI+KCCC
    Extras- wkly ACV, br sug scrub for scalp issues
    Techniques:
    scrunch in prods to soaking wet hair (no combing), flour sack dry, clip roots, air dry, SOTC
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    I LOVE me some CEJ and some CJAF both lite and regular, and thought I hated JC stylers, but recently I rebought them and they FINALLY work for me. It's nice to have options.

I know this is an older post, but I have a question. Do you mix the CEJ with AF? I have an almost new jar of CJAFG that I just can't seem to get to work quite right. It definitely needs more hold. TIA.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    cj aloe fix gel has glycerin, and is great in mid to high dew points. not good in low dew points. my hair loves it in the summer, it is my summer HG!

have no idea where you live, but if you are having low dew points, cj afg is not the product you want.

cj curl queen or cj pattern pusha do not have glycerin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file