CurlTalk

Where are all the transitioning sistas? and how far are you in your transition?

aa9072aa9072 Posts: 201Registered Users
I'm on my 23rd week!
Next week I will be 6 months post!

I am so excited, this is the longest I have gone without the creamy crack! And Im loving this journey!!!

Cant wait to be fully natural :-)

Comments

• ThickHairedQTThickHairedQT Posts: 542Registered Users
    I just started transitioning. My last relaxer was July 1, 2011. So 1 month down and 17 more to go since I don't plan on a BC. I think I have about 3/4 of an inch in new growth so far.

Sent from my SPH-M920
  • aa9072aa9072 Posts: 201Registered Users
    I just started transitioning. My last relaxer was July 1, 2011. So 1 month down and 17 more to go since I don't plan on a BC. I think I have about 3/4 of an inch in new growth so far.

Sent from my SPH-M920

Congrats! Hope you enjoy the journey! What made you want to transition to natural?
  • ThickHairedQTThickHairedQT Posts: 542Registered Users
    I use to let my sister do my relaxers but, I just relocated to a new area and all the hair salons I've seen are expensive compared to where I'm from.(like $100 jus for a touch up and no style) It's something I had thought about for a long time, I got tired of needing the relaxer every 8weeks.

The last straw though was when I let my boyfriend apply my relaxer.(I know a lot of females who let that their bf do it so it wasn't uncommon to me) Lol he was so scared, but the creamy crack didn't take well in certain areas. After that I didn't know what to do with it so now I taught myself how to kinky twist and will be doing them really soon.

Sent from my SPH-M920
  • efurr071293efurr071293 Posts: 17Registered Users
    My last relaxer was January 29, 2011. 6 months down, 12-24 more to go! (still undecided on when to BC)
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    My last relaxer was January 29, 2011. 6 months down, 12-24 more to go! (still undecided on when to BC)

It's nice to have a goal in mind so you have something to work towards but IMO I think its always better just to ride it out and base your bc deadline on how you feel, how your hair is responding and your patience level.

If your ready to cut then do so but if there's any hesitation then wait bc you don't want to regret chopping too soon. Yes hair is hair and it will grow back but it takes time and a hell of a lot of patience to wait for a big chop to grow back that you now regret!

I originally said I would transition for a yr, then as I was approaching a yr I realized that a yrs worth of growth really is not that much hair. Yes when I stretch my hair the shortest layer reaches my shoulders but w/that shrinkage...my natural hair is up to my ear! That being said I will not be cutting anytime soon. I at least need enough hair to put into a nice size bun at all times which I can easily do now.

As far as whether I will go another yr or two...well... we"ll see. I figured it would be easiest to base my chopping on an every 6month schedule. So I will see noticeable growth and the health of my hair improve from one decision to the next. So come January when I'm at 18months I will re-evaluate my decision.

Good luck to you all and congrats on making such a life changing decision!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • YansaYansa Posts: 60Registered Users
    I'm 8 weeks in. Last perm 6/15/11. Also planning on a 2 year transition ending in a BC on July 15, 2013. First I want to not be medium length. Secondarily, I want natural hair. Committed to both, but definitely erring on the side of length. Unless I see a dire need, my plan is to cut my hair once at a year (a self trim for the sake of neatness only) and then chop at 24 months on the nose.

I'm flexible, of course so if some
    (or all) of the journey doesn't go the way I'm planning it, I'm good with that, but that's the plan. I can't really work without a plan. :)
  • taiMingLitaiMingLi Posts: 2Registered Users
    My LAST relaxer was August 31, 2010! I am almost 1 year relaxer free! I have so much new growth its crazy!
    I use to let my sister do my relaxers but, I just relocated to a new area and all the hair salons I've seen are expensive compared to where I'm from.(like $100 jus for a touch up and no style) It's something I had thought about for a long time, I got tired of needing the relaxer every 8weeks.

The last straw though was when I let my boyfriend apply my relaxer.(I know a lot of females who let that their bf do it so it wasn't uncommon to me) Lol he was so scared, but the creamy crack didn't take well in certain areas. After that I didn't know what to do with it so now I taught myself how to kinky twist and will be doing them really soon.

Sent from my SPH-M920

Same thing happened to
    Me! My mom used to be my beautician since day 1! I moved so far away from her a few months ago and after self relaxing I decided why not go natural! Healthier, thicker hair is what Im looking for girl :-)

You are not alone! Im scared to BC :-(
    taiMingLi wrote: »
    My LAST relaxer was August 31, 2010! I am almost 1 year relaxer free! I have so much new growth its crazy!

Omg! Congrats hun! Good for you. :-) Im planning on transitioning for a year or so- lets see how that goes. *bites nails* lol
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    I'm a little over a year into it my last relaxer was Aug 4, 2010.

I WAS scared to bc I've always had long hair, but now I want to chop every time I wash. Besides I kind of want to experience short hair.

On the phone! Sorry for teh errerz.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    My last relaxer was October 2009! Im 2 mnths away from my 24 mnths anniversary, Im sooo excited! My hair has grown sooo much since then, im about 4 inches from BSL! Patience is key to growing your hair naturally, so good luck ladies and continue to be patient with your hair.

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil

I WAS scared to bc I've always had long hair, but now I want to chop every time I wash. Besides I kind of want to experience short hair.

We are having the same "symptoms" lol.......

I did a mini chop back in july- Cut my Bsl hair to neck length and now that I wash I want to keep chopping some
    More! But Im still scared of doing the big chop!! This is already the shortest my hair has ever been but I really love the cut :-)
    My last relaxer was October 2009! Im 2 mnths away from my 24 mnths anniversary, Im sooo excited! My hair has grown sooo much since then, im about 4 inches from BSL! Patience is key to growing your hair naturally, so good luck ladies and continue to be patient with your hair.

Wow! Very inspiring!! Congrats!!!! :-)
  • Aerogirl530Aerogirl530 Posts: 135Registered Users
    aa9072 wrote: »
    I'm on my 23rd week!
    Next week I will be 6 months post!

I am so excited, this is the longest I have gone without the creamy crack! And Im loving this journey!!!

Cant wait to be fully natural :-)
    i'm 10 months post relaxer, i'm going back to school soon, 7th grade, and i need to get my hair back int protective low manipulative hairstyles, do you know any ?
  • browneyedbeauty3811browneyedbeauty3811 Posts: 13Registered Users

Congrats! (: I so cannot wait to hit my 1 year mark. 5 months down, 7 more to go!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using CurlTalk App

Congrats! (: I so cannot wait to hit my 1 year mark. 5 months down, 7 more to go!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using CurlTalk App

Im dying to hit my one year mark as well!! Really been feeling anxious!! Im definitely enjoying the journey........
  • babyblu3grlbabyblu3grl Posts: 1Registered Users
    !1fourth month strong..no perm in thought!
  • AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    Thanks @aa9072 I got frustrated with my hair in the beginning but I would always put it in a ponytail 90% of the time. I did do a mini chop like last july I chopped a good 4-5 inches off which was pretty much my relaxed ends. Know that my hair is 95% natural I just keep my ends clipped. I rarely straighten my hair so my ends are pretty even all of the time. But just take care and be patient with your hair and it will grow the way you want it to.

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
    My 6 months transitioning hair!!!

From Relaxed to transitioning to natural! Loving this journey!! :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dx2SEt6V4oPM" class="Popup
  • ahall0ahall0 Posts: 5Registered Users

I'm a little over a yr too. Aug 18, 2010 was my last relaxer. I had the same issue as you my hair was shoulder length (my husband loved it), but i did the b/c about a month ago and hubby aint that happy lol but i don't care it was best for me. my hair was breaking off completely to the new growth. love the short curly fro but need new style ideas.
    Natural for 1yr :afro:
  • SCarrinSCarrin Posts: 160Registered Users
    My last relaxer was Feb 2011. So far, so good. I'm excited bout the journey and the new growth that I have.

Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App
  • bird428bird428 Posts: 14Registered Users
    i have been transitioning for about 15 months. i'd say i have about 5 inches of new growth and 7 of relaxed waves. i'm really tempted to cut my hair b/c i'm starting not to like how my hair looks when i wash and go. my friends and family are not keen on me cutting my hair. luckily hubby will support me no matter what. only things stopping me are fear, b/c i've never had short hair and i'm starting a new job so i don't want to look a mess since i'm a novice to the naturally curly thing, and my friend is getting married, so i feel long hair will be easier to style. but come Nov. i have a feeling i'll be itching to cut it.
  • CurlyFocusedCurlyFocused Posts: 12Registered Users
    13 Months into my transition and frustration is the phase I'm in right now!!!! Now don't get me wrong, I love my hair, I really do, but I am frustrated to no end!

I know I'm not alone, yet I feel alone, so I needed to join this site and Now I'm seeking Natural Hair Meetups in Chicago! I'm so focused on being 100% naturally curly. I will make it through this frustration.

*Curly Focused
    13 Months into my transition and frustration is the phase I'm in right now!!!! Now don't get me wrong, I love my hair, I really do, but I am frustrated to no end!

I know I'm not alone, yet I feel alone, so I needed to join this site and Now I'm seeking Natural Hair Meetups in Chicago! I'm so focused on being 100% naturally curly. I will make it through this frustration.

*Curly Focused

You are not alone hun. Stay positive, you have come a long way---- wishing you only the best!
  • AnishaAnisha Posts: 25Registered Users
    My last relaxer was May 20 2011. My hair is braided right now so im not manipulating it so much. I havent really set a date or time line for the big chop. Im just excited and nervous about seeing what my hair looks like in its natural state.

Sent from my MB860 using CurlTalk App
  • NaturalBeauty79NaturalBeauty79 Posts: 256Registered Users
    5 months over this way! Probably just going to grow my perm out ! Loving my journey so far! Been very fun! Got a sew in now so it can grow some more !
    7 months transitioning phase!
    Loving my natural texture already!!!

631d75f5-2c8b-cf70.jpg631d75f5-2c98-4784.jpg
  • NaturalOutlawNaturalOutlaw Posts: 10Registered Users
    I'm 15 months

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • naturalgirl85naturalgirl85 Posts: 53Registered Users
    I am 15 weeks post perm. This is my second time to transitioning to go natural. Was natural before for about 6 months and went back to the creamy crack. Not doing that again. My reason to transition again was because I really do miss having my natural hair.