Srry for the repost! Trying to give CG method another try!

geegee Registered Users Posts: 40
I tried going CG for a month back in December and it was a disaster! My hair was flat and my scalp was so dried out and flaky. I think it was because the cheap condish wasn't working for me (Suave and VO5). Also, I've discovered I am protein sensitive. However, I want to give it one more try before I throw in the towel. I prefer to be a mod-CG because I need to use some sort of poo at least once a week to feel clean. What low poos, condish, and products do you recommend? Please keep it under $15 per item if you can, thanks! :icon_smile: :love1:
Srry for the re-post, I accidentally put it in a different forum.

3a/3b curls.
Medium texture, medium porosity, and extremely protein sensitive.
Moderate CG? No harsh sulfates, limited 'cones.
Poo: L'oreal Ever Sleek
Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm
Deep Condish: L'oreal Ever Pure
Styling products: Bumble & Bumble smoothing creme, Not Your Mother's Curl Creme, and Giovanni gel.

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, their shampoos are good low-poos. Otherwise, the Giovanni and Aubrey Organics shampoos are generally well liked. My personal favourite that I can find on the ground is DevaCurl LoPoo, which is a little bit more expensive than what you cited. When I started, I was low-pooing every other time I washed my hair, but was able to switch to every third time I washed my hair, etc., and I'm still working on the first bottle I bought three years ago. In fairness, I might be close to finishing it had I not also used some Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, and Jessicurl Cleansing Cream at times.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    The scalp dryness and flakiness you mention could have been due to residual silicone buildup on your scalp. Many people have a transient problem with that in the time frame you mention, myself included. A brown sugar scrub (or two) should take care of that when it happens.

Mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar with your regular co-wash conditioner, then do a co-wash, paying especially good attention to giving your scalp a thorough massage.

Some people do this on a regular basis, every week or two. For myself, I found that doing it twice dealt with the residual buildup, and I'd learned how to massage my scalp better when I co-washed.

I think that doing a final, clarifying, sulfate poo just before starting CGing may prevent this. My impression was that a very thin layer of silicone had attached to my hair at the point I stopped using sulfate poo, then began to pull away as my hair grew, starting to split and flake as the hair got a little longer. The brown sugar seemed to cut it, and help it come off.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file