Going through CG withdrawls, need help

Hey All,
Im new to the whole CG thing. I've used silicone all my life without realizing it. So here I am today with very porous hair that refuses to curl as much as it used to ( do to me applying 430 degree heat to my hair everyday,trying to keep it straight) anywho! Im in my third week of CG. My hair is come along way, no longer dry and brittle but soft, almost to soft. That's one of my problems. The real issue i'm having is finding products that do what my Curls Rock curl amplifier used to do, which was highly defined curls that bounced and were just beautifully shiny. I want that look and since I've gone over to the CG method, I havent been able to find a product that has done that. Therefore, Im debating on going back to using products with silicone in it but then again having to deal with shampoo. I guess I need some reassurance. I'm assuming my hair doesnt look as good as it once did because of the damage and so it really has little to do with the products. I just need some help please. Anybody!:icon_smile:
By the way, Im a 3b and I've tried kccc,kcnt,Curls, aveda's curl line

Comments

• HeadDressHeadDress Registered Users Posts: 68
    Hi there and welcome! ;-)

I'll try to help and hopefully others will chime in!

Have you done a PT? With any sort of heat/ chemical damage done to the hair protein is gd for restoration. It also helps with porosity issues as well I believe.

As far as products you've been using- I'm not familiar with ingredient list for Curls or Aveda but I do know that the Kinky Curly line is protein free. Not to say that you need to load up on protein, it's just that if all you're doing is moisture and you need some protein, what your styling with could be contributing to your dissatifaction. Maybe once you do a PT you make like these btr.

What are you cowash with? What is your routine? What techniques do you use? This info will help us help you :-)
    LI: Suave Coco, KCKT, EVCO I Gel: LALSG
  • Curly NikkiCurly Nikki Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thank you Headress for responding to my cry lol.
    So let me break down new routine. I co-wash three times a week in which I do the following
    co-wash- suave naturals ( coconut or strawberry, depends on my mood)
    condition- aubreys honeysuckle
    stylers- Curls milkshake and Curls gel o cee

In the last three weeks I've done two PT. I used K-pak followed by aubreys honeysuckle conditioner, leaving them both in for about 3 mins.
    I then let my hair air dry. Im pretty confused on what I'm doing wrong at this point.
  • curlyloxnvcurlyloxnv Registered Users Posts: 130
    I was addicted to Curls Rock before going cg, and missed it so much I almost went back. Then someone suggested Mop-C Curl Defining cream and it's almost identical but without the 'cones. I even stocked up as apparently its not being brought into Canada anymore. Then discovered leaving in AOHR topped with Biotera gel works even better for me in the summer. But I'll pull out the curl cream again for the winter. There are a lot of threads on it if you do a search. HTH!

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse typos.
    2c/3a, medium/coarse, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    CG and covering the grey!
  • LuvinCurls80LuvinCurls80 Registered Users Posts: 28
    Oh my goodness, I too am a curls rock junkie! I'm slowly, and when I say slowly, I mean snails pace trying to convert to cg :-) it's so hard to lay off the cones. Thank you for posting this message, I hope I too can gain some information to help in this new journey. Im fighting to go back as my curls rock is winking at me daily to puck it up and slather it on.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    It's good to determine your hair properties in making decisions about products/ingredients. Here's a thread to help: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/67218-texture-porosity-other-hair-type-madness.html Your hair is damaged from the heat and will need to grow out before you really know what's on your head, LOL! Protein may help repair some of the damage, but you also need to coddle your hair with lots of moisture, too.

Personally, I wouldn't use K-Pak. It contains mineral oil which can be as difficult to remove as silicone. For many of us, it's a no-no. It could be causing you additional problems.

Many of us rotate products. My hair has always satiated, even back in my shampoo/conditioner only days. I wet, rinse out and style everyday--seldom using any one product more then twice a week. You may just need to find other products. Once you determine you hair properties, you can look at folks with hair like yours (in signature) and see what they use. It's a great place to start.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well that does make sense. As soon as I used the k-pak my hair started acting up again. Just way too soft with little curl definition with the stylers I'm using when before my stylers woked amazing. I'll give mops curl cream a try but I'm still left with the fact that my hair is to soft. Are there any suggestions for which PT to used other than k-pak? I'm also considering trying out the flax seed gel.
    Either CJ Curl Fix or Repair Me, SS PRT and I'm just starting to use a new one by shescentit that's Okra Repair Something??
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry to be a bug a boo but how often would you suggest to usethe PT? How long to leave it in? Thanks again
    It all depends on your hair. My hair is fine, low porosity and LOVES protein. I do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein. As far as leaving it in, you need to read the directions for the product as your "baseline."
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Im starting to feel super overwhelmed and just plan lost on what to do next. Im not sure if im using too much protein or not enough. Are the products Im using just not right for me? Oh Boy!
  • HeadDressHeadDress Registered Users Posts: 68
    So, the curls line has cones in them?(sorry, I always do this from my phone). If that line contains ingredients in it that aren't easy to get out with a cowash (cones, mineral oil, etc...) that might be part of your prob because it looks like you cowash exclusively right? If you lowpoo, I guess you could get away with it so long as you try and take care of your hair. But if the point is for you to try and nuture your hair through CG method, than their are plenty of CG friendly products. If you can't afford the "PJ-ism" kathymack sells samples. (I hope she doesn't mind me mentioning so :-/ )
    Kathymack is spot on! You you shld try and determine your hair properties. That can save you a whole lot of time, money and frustration lol.
    Livecurlylivefree.com is another helpful site in determining your hair prop and thy also have a kit if you wld like to get your hair analysis done.
    LI: Suave Coco, KCKT, EVCO I Gel: LALSG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file