Family Put Downs

EdenRoseEdenRose Registered Users Posts: 181
So my paternal side of my family I visited today for the first time since my BC and they were not that accepting. And I am kind of really hurt by it. I mean my step-mom who has locs was like letting it just grow out with out loc-ing my hair is going to turn out horrible. Now i respect her choice to have locs as her natural style but it's not for me.And she went on and on about it and then my brother kept calling me nappy and he said it was a stupid choice. And my grandmother was livid i cut my hair and kept asking me why i would cut my hair and leave it looking horrible and she's sure my bf doesn't like (he was there and tried to defend me a bit) I mean i stood my ground but I don't get the anti-acceptence. Especially from my step mom. I mean i actually feel more confident with my hair as is and can't wait for it to grow out more and i can see how it looks along this journey but they really kinda tore me down a bit.
https://twitter.com/Lov3Revolution

Last Relaxer-March 2011
:occasion2:BC- 7-11-2011
When you get the choice to sit out or dance, I hope you dance <3

Hair Type: ?
Tons of whirls and curls and coils on my head. My hair's sometimes my best friend and other times we're at odds. But either way it's curls to the end. No need for a relaxer cause there's no reason to stress, my tresses are at their best
:wav:

Length goal : Shoulder Length :)

Comments

• belwillcoilybelwillcoily Registered Users Posts: 303 Curl Neophyte
    EdenRose wrote: »
    So my paternal side of my family I visited today for the first time since my BC and they were not that accepting. And I am kind of really hurt by it. I mean my step-mom who has locs was like letting it just grow out with out loc-ing my hair is going to turn out horrible. Now i respect her choice to have locs as her natural style but it's not for me.And she went on and on about it and then my brother kept calling me nappy and he said it was a stupid choice. And my grandmother was livid i cut my hair and kept asking me why i would cut my hair and leave it looking horrible and she's sure my bf doesn't like (he was there and tried to defend me a bit) I mean i stood my ground but I don't get the anti-acceptence. Especially from my step mom. I mean i actually feel more confident with my hair as is and can't wait for it to grow out more and i can see how it looks along this journey but they really kinda tore me down a bit.

Sorry to hear that. That's always tough. :sad7:

I went relaxer-free nearly 20 years ago when it wasn't as prevalent as it is now. I had to contend with not necessarily family not supporting my decision (my sister and I went natural at the same time and my mom eventually went natural too not long after my sister and I) but people like my boss at the time, some of my coworkers, and even just strangers at the grocery store, the local BSS, the gym, etc. who would scope out and turn up their noses at my hair.

I was in my twenties and single and I remember it seemed I was invisble to the opposite sex until I occassionally heat straightened my hair. All of a sudden, all kinds of men were coming out of the wood work trying to holla. :laughing6:

My boyfriend at the time was the jealous type and I think he liked me to keep my hair natural and unstraightened so the other guys would stay away; not necessarily because he was just in love with my natural hair or my decision to go natural.

I look back on all that and just SMH, have a good chuckle then move on because despite all that, I'm still here with a dense head full of tightly coiled hair that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. You know?

In any case, I say all this to say don't let people (whether family, friends, or strangers) dissuade you from what you've decided was best for you and yours. If you cave due to pressure and comments, you'll regret it. It'll get better, I promise. Hang in there and keep your head up. You and your curls/kinks/coils/naps (whatever you choose to call what grows out of your head) are beautiful. ;-)
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file