Deva stylist in Los Angeles (SFV)

TiggileneTiggilene Posts: 232Registered Users
Ladies, I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm THRILLED with my Deva cut, so I'll get right to point. Here's my review from Yelp.

Keyonna. ROCKS! She's the queen of curly hair.
Just left the salon a few hours with a Deva cut that is PERFECT for my natural hair. If your curls are hard to handle or type - mine are cottony, fluffy 4a coffee- stirrer-sized coils - Keyonna's your guru. She takes her time with the consult, cut and style.

After the dry cut (that was strange - never had one before), she convinced me to try a twistout style that turned out a little wilder than I wanted. No problem. A quick rinse, some product and 10 minutes under the dryer and my hair was rockin'!! And she gave me other ideas and recommendations for styles and color.

Okay, the deets:

Cost:$100 + tip ($17)
Time: If I hadn't had the twistout, about an hour. With twistout and dryer time, 2 hours.
Stylist: Keyonna is African American/Puerto Rican with type 3 curls from Brooklyn, NY. Chatty and funny. Completely cool and not pushy. Great with suggestions.
Other things I noticed: Her clients run the curl gamut - 2s, 3s, 4s. I also have it on good authority that she does Solange Knowles natural hair (but didn't do the big chop).

Go in for a consult and check her out.

Comments

• blissdropsblissdrops Banned Posts: 216Banned Users
    How do I get in contact with her? What salon is she at? I just went for a consult today with yet another so called natural hair stylist who looked at my curls in bewilderment when I asked for a shape up. I need a freaking haircut and can't find anyone who knows how to work with curls.

And why don't natural hair stylists understand naturally curly hair? That's natural hair too. All they do is twists outs, braids, and dreads.

Signed Frustrated
  • LuvinCurls80LuvinCurls80 Posts: 28Registered Users
    There are two really great guys in long beach, the salon is called r-rated. The stylist names are Ritchie and Mark. I know for sure Ritchie is deva trained. However, not too sure about mark, but he still does an amazing job.
  • GabsMamaGabsMama Posts: 7Registered Users
    Unfortunately R Rated is closed! Not sure why... I go to Curls on Top in Laguna Beach.. It's a mission definitely but Vicki is amazing, ad the cuts last up to 6 months. I go about every 4 - just personal preference... Vicki is the only stylist, and it's her shop. She is actually one of the "stories" featured in the curly girl book by Lorraine Massey... I highly recommend!
  • TiggileneTiggilene Posts: 232Registered Users
    blissdrops wrote: »
    How do I get in contact with her? What salon is she at? I just went for a consult today with yet another so called natural hair stylist who looked at my curls in bewilderment when I asked for a shape up. I need a freaking haircut and can't find anyone who knows how to work with curls.

And why don't natural hair stylists understand naturally curly hair? That's natural hair too. All they do is twists outs, braids, and dreads.

Signed Frustrated

Hey, Blissdrops, that's happened to me, too. Be grateful the stylist backed away from your head instead of jackin' your hair. :sad2:

Sorry, I forgot when I copied the comment.

The Salon is Capella Salon, 12816 Ventura Blvd. Studio City, CA 91604. See Keyonna Tillman. 818-506-1450.
  • coricourtcoricourt Posts: 31Registered Users
    I second Tiggilene's review of Keyonna! It was the first time my hair was cut dry and she spent forever on it (like over 30 minutes cutting it). I would definitely go back to her next time. I didn't love the salon but Keyonna was great.

Looking for Jessicurl products in stores (and other hard-to-find brands), I came across a total gem of a salon in Studio City that I want to recommend even though I haven't had my hair cut there yet. It's tiny and so homey, which was actually a plus. Lisa, the owner, was super helpful with product advice and I saw a CG customer pop in for a quick trim while I was there. The ammonia-free dye she advertises sounds intriguing!

Checkout the Yelp on Luna Salon:
    Luna Hair Studio - Studio City - Studio City, CA

4383 Tujunga Ave, Ste C
    Studio City, CA 91604
    (818) 505-8939 - open Wed-Sat. Definitely call for an appointment because occasionally she goes out of town.
    3a, fine+med textures; med dens (ii); low porosity; nrml elasticity; frizz; protein sens.
    CG since Sept '11

Products:
    NO sulfates, cones, parabens
    Co-wash- Desert Essences Frag Free
    Condish- Acure Lemongrass or AO Blue Camomile
    DT- Jessicurl
    Styling- AOMM + KCCC or Alaffia BeautCurls Shea LI+KCCC
    Extras- wkly ACV, br sug scrub for scalp issues
    Techniques:
    scrunch in prods to soaking wet hair (no combing), flour sack dry, clip roots, air dry, SOTC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file