CurlTalk

PRoduct Review: Terressentials Organic Pure Earth Hair Wash

CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
OMFG this stuff is amazing. It is effing amazing. I wish I bought the big bottles because this stuff right here...this stuff right >here< y'all is the shiz-nit.

I got the small sizes because I was trying to be sensible because I didn't wanna have a big a$$ bottle if I didn't like it. Plus, I've curbed my PJ ways so I wasn't gunning for the large sizes of an item I've never tried.

I got the peppermint and the lemon. I pre poo'd with honey and olive oil and I just finished the 2oz sample I had of the peppermint and I'm telling you when I was applying the mud wash to my hair and when I was rinsing the hair wash out of my hair, my hair felt like straight up velvet. Soft, buttery, silkiness like OMG :shock: That is damn near IMPOSSIBLE after a shampoo for my hair. I almost didn't use conditioner but I still did and applying the conditioner my hair feels amazing. I didn't have to use as much conditioner since my hair wasn't stripped

AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT, my scalp feels good too.

After finding the plant poo and it helping my scalp, I figured that I could compromise a bit because it does kind of strip my hair (even when I pre poo :neutral: ). I didn't think I could find a shampoo that could make my scalp feel clean and like it's breathing AND have soft hair. Now I may not have to sacrafice that.

Just wanted to share.lol
11.gif
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG

Comments

• NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    CocoT, I so totally agree with you on this mud wash! I purchased the large sultry spice and a sample lavender. I didn't even pre poo. I just slapped it on and OMG.! My hair felt amazing and it had major hang. I am purchasing 2 large lavender. I must!!!!!!!
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    CocoT, I so totally agree with you on this mud wash! I purchased the large sultry spice and a sample lavender. I didn't even pre poo. I just slapped it on and OMG.! My hair felt amazing and it had major hang. I am purchasing 2 large lavender. I must!!!!!!!
    How did you like the sultry spice?

I think I'm gonna get a sample of the other ones except for the lemon, since I already have it, but right now I'm gonna need that peppermint in the largest size. My hair feels amazing. I tried the lemon on the front portion of my hair yesterday and it was ok. My scalp felt clean but I like tingly feelings.lol
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    Oh also, I forgot to say that my hair looks extra black. My hair looks so much darker than usual. Maybe that's due to my hair not being stripped and my hair being extra clean and moisturized. Yet another plus :blob7:
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • HennaRoHennaRo Posts: 520Registered Users
    Soooo glad you love it too Coco!!! The sultry and lemon are my favorites.

Oh and I have noticed that my hair is super duper shiny....even when it's dry like the sahara!
    Last relaxer: January 08

BC: December 08

First and only time going natural:wav:
    Holy Grails:love10:
    *Terressential Pure Earth Hair Wash*Curl Junkie Deep Fix* Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion* Tresemme Naturals(Moisture)* Vo5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Poo/Elucence Moisture Balancing Poo* Komaza Care Jojoba Hemp* Oyin Burnt Sugar:love10:

FOTKI!

Follow me on Twitter! muffinator22
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    I have a bottle of the lavender wash sitting here right now, unused. You guys have me dying to try it now.:happy2: I'll try it Sunday and let you know how it goes. :laughing1:
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »
    How did you like the sultry spice?

I think I'm gonna get a sample of the other ones except for the lemon, since I already have it, but right now I'm gonna need that peppermint in the largest size. My hair feels amazing. I tried the lemon on the front portion of my hair yesterday and it was ok. My scalp felt clean but I like tingly feelings.lol

I like it but I like the smell of the lavender better. There is no tingle, just soft as butter hair!
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • quietstormquietstorm Posts: 148Registered Users
    I have always wanted to try this....

*goes on the site to look*
    3c/4a mix with an annoying loose wavy area in crown.

Thick Strands, Medium Density, Normal Porosity

BC in Jan. 2009 after transitioning for about 2 yrs

Current Length: APL

Product Junkie
    . I have tried it all... well almost. :glasses8:

I
    ♥ Ayurveda!
  • auntcurlyauntcurly Posts: 234Registered Users
    I was researching this after naptural85 recommended it and I came across another youtuber called swimfe who claims that this is essentially betonite clay + aloe vera, etc. And she demos a recipe that she conjured up as a substitute. I'm going to try it before I order the terressentials.

Anybody see this video?

‪Mixing Bentonite Clay for Hair‬‏ - YouTube
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    yup which is why i didnt buy it, ive been using bentonite clay for 3 years and my hair always feeling amazing after

not knocking teressentials at all but i buy my clay in bulk and my hair is straight up the bomb.com

i wanted to buy a bottle to compare but the shipping turned me off as usual
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Posts: 216Registered Users
    I wanted to try this but I wasn't sure if it would spread in my hair easily. Now I'm curious about it again. Does anyone think this could be used as like a weekly deep treatment under a plastic cap to clarify your hair? Or would it be better as a regular shampoo.
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    auntcurly wrote: »
    I was researching this after naptural85 recommended it and I came across another youtuber called swimfe who claims that this is essentially betonite clay + aloe vera, etc. And she demos a recipe that she conjured up as a substitute. I'm going to try it before I order the terressentials.

Anybody see this video?

‪Mixing Bentonite Clay for Hair‬‏ - YouTube
    I've made my own bentonite mixes and they never made my hair feel like this. I'm good at making butters and stuff, but for some reason every time I try to make something with clay it comes out gummy and gross. Quite frankly, I'm tired of trying with the clay. I'd rather just buy it made. I tried lola's anita grant knock off recipe and I just couldn't get it. It turned out into a grainy, gummy slop. I like bentonite clay with Ayurvedic herbs, mainly hibiscus but I don't do them often at all. In fact, I haven't done them in a long time. No mixture I've made has ever made my hair feel like this and I don't think I'm skilled enough to make an effective one myself so...terressentials it is!
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    coco_bunny wrote: »
    I wanted to try this but I wasn't sure if it would spread in my hair easily. Now I'm curious about it again. Does anyone think this could be used as like a weekly deep treatment under a plastic cap to clarify your hair? Or would it be better as a regular shampoo.
    It spreads really well and it is easy to work into the hair.

I've only used it twice so maybe the more experienced users can chime in about using it as a deep treatment.

From what I can tell though, it seems like I could safely use this 2-3 times a week and not worry about my hair drying out. My hair feels so clean and like I said earlier it looks darker and feels so moisturized. I practically have nothing in my hair right now and it is still so soft. I put a dab of komaza califia cream just to kind of seal (I've never successfully lasted without much product in my hair but so far so good) and my hair is still velvety soft.

Even my dry patches on my sides are still soft. It feels like I used my AOHC. Omg imagine actually using the AOHC after washing with the terressentials. Talk about hairgasm!
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein

Either way works great-don't really need a cap though. I've used it everyday for a week without any problems, steamed with it, left it on for 7hrs and rinsed, did a quick apply in the shower all with great results.

Works the best for me if I use an applicator bottle.

*Terressential Pure Earth Hair Wash*Curl Junkie Deep Fix* Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion* Tresemme Naturals(Moisture)* Vo5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Poo/Elucence Moisture Balancing Poo* Komaza Care Jojoba Hemp* Oyin Burnt Sugar:love10:

FOTKI!

HennaRo wrote: »

Either way works great-don't really need a cap though. I've used it everyday for a week without any problems, steamed with it, left it on for 7hrs and rinsed, did a quick apply in the shower all with great results.

Works the best for me if I use an applicator bottle.

Okay so I assume if you have to use it in applicator bottle it's a little runny...That's good I was thinking it would be like mud, and I was worried I would have to use a whole bottle just to get it to spread...My hair is like a Shamwow FOR REAL lol .... So I guess this will get put on my never ending list of this I HAVE to try... thanks :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You dont have to use a bottle, nap85 just uses it straight out the bottle.

FOTKI!

HennaRo wrote: »
    You dont have to use a bottle, nap85 just uses it straight out the bottle.

Oh okay..I thought it was because it was a little messy that it was easier to use in an applicator bottle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    Thanks for your review CocoT. I had just bought the 16oz bottle yesterday in Lavender. I hope I like it. I saw different Youtubers getting different results with using the different "flavors" and now I'm not sure if I should've got the Lemon also.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    Thanks for your review CocoT. I had just bought the 16oz bottle yesterday in Lavender. I hope I like it. I saw different Youtubers getting different results with using the different "flavors" and now I'm not sure if I should've got the Lemon also.

I got the lavendar and it works great on my hair. The smell is amazing.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
  • TrudiiTrudii Posts: 2Registered Users
    I'm curious, and this is slightly off topic...
    This mud wash shouldn't be used on color treated hair, since after the detox period it'll essentially accentuate the damage that the dye inflicted.

Some of you have stated that the wash is essentially bentonite clay...
    I was planning on using bentonite clay in the near future. Should I expect it to behave like the mud wash would? What are the results like on color treated hair?
    I saw in naptural85's video she said that the lavendar was the only one she liked so I'm assuming she tried the others. I went by their guide to choose the flavors I decided to buy
    For thick or wavy or coarse, or salt and pepper gray hair: Lavender Garden, Sultry Spice, Left Coast Lemon, Cool Mint
    For fine, straight or thin hair: Fragrance-free, Sultry Spice, Cool Mint.
    For naturally curly, kinky, frizzy or very thick hair: Left Coast Lemon, Lavender Garden, Sultry Spice, Cool Mint
    For Dry Hair: Lavender Garden, Left Coast Lemon
    For Oily Hair: Fragrance-free, Cool Mint, Sultry Spice
    For chemically-treated hair: Lavender Garden, Left Coast Lemon or Sultry Spice
    For very damaged hair (hair that has had more than one chemical treatment): Left Coast Lemon or Lavender Garden

I think all of them would work out for me based on that criteria. I still want to try them all out though to see which one is best. :happy6: But so far I love the cool mint
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • Curly ChicCurly Chic Posts: 79Registered Users
    I just saw naptural85's hair wash video last night and it was right on point for me because I've been considering using clays to wash my hair instead of shampoo. I want to get the wash now but my Oyin poo bar just came in & I am really trying not to buy more products until I run out of current staples. However, I bet that poo bar won't last that long so I will be ordering this next month. Seems like a lot of people like the lavender but I like the tingly feeling alot so I might go with the mint? Do you think the mint will work for dry hair?
    :happy7:BC 5/17/2010, 3C/4A Porous hair, Current staples: Garnier conditioners, Coconut & Grapesead Oil, Ecostler gel, Shea Butter mix, Elasta QP mango butter, Loreal sulfate free shampoo, Aphogee protein treatment, Henna & Ayurvedic Herb Treatments:dontknow:
    Trudii wrote: »
    I'm curious, and this is slightly off topic...
    This mud wash shouldn't be used on color treated hair, since after the detox period it'll essentially accentuate the damage that the dye inflicted.

Some of you have stated that the wash is essentially bentonite clay...
    I was planning on using bentonite clay in the near future. Should I expect it to behave like the mud wash would? What are the results like on color treated hair?

Here's what I read about colored hair.
    1. "The instructions on the label say that your hair wash is not recommended for chemically treated hair, but your website says I can use it. Please clarify."

Our bottle labels say that our Pure Earth Hair Wash is not recommended for chemically-treated hair because its use by people with damaged hair requires some special instruction. In a retail store other than ours, there isn't always someone in a store available to educate customers on the subject. (It is NOT because the mud will strip your color -our mud will not affect the color of your hair, natural or otherwise.) We would rather not have people purchase the product than purchase it and attempt to use it without proper guidance and feel dissatisfied.

Chemical hair treatments permanently alter the outer layer of the hair shaft creating a porous cuticle - under a microscope chemically treated hair looks like Swiss cheese. Once hair is damaged by chemical colorings, perms or straightening chemicals, people are sold a myriad of synthetic products that artificially coat the hair with plastic or protein polymers to make it look and feel undamaged. The more damaged the hair, the more porous it becomes; the more porous the hair, the more it absorbs these synthetic "protein" polymers (e.g. soy, wheat or oat proteins - that are NOT edible foods), plastic polymers such as PVP (petrochemical polyvinyl pyrrolidone) and gum coating agents. These are the substances the "mud" removes in the detox protocol, but the detox process takes time.

Sometimes when people begin using the Hair Wash, their hair may feel stiff, sticky, oily, heavy or dry. This feeling may persist until the residues of protein and plastic polymers have been completely removed, but if you're patient, the end result is worth the wait! After using our "mud" for one to three weeks, most people love it and find it a joy to use. As new hair grows in to replace old damaged hair, you'll probably be amazed at the difference. For some folks with very chemically damaged hair, they may not like the way their hair feels after the detox, because our Pure Earth Hair Wash contains none of the vinyl or protein plastic polymers to coat their hair to make it feel or look undamaged

The bottom line: If you have chemically treated your hair, you should plan to use the Pure Earth Hair Wash for three to four weeks in order to completely detox the hair and remove polymer buildup. If you intend to continue using chemical treatments for your hair, you will probably not be happy with the look of your hair when it is cleaned with the clay cleanser and finally free from the synthetic plastic coating agents. Chemically damaged hair without plastic coating agents may appear to look darker because the hair is roughened and will not be shiny and reflect light. Damaged hair can also look straw-like and feel rough to the touch. Damaged hair tends to tangle much more easily and is weakened because of the chemical's erosion to the cuticle leaving it more susceptible to breakage.

So I think people can still use it but you should adhere to the detox protocol. I don't think I need to go through the formalitites of the detox because I don't use products that contain synthetic substances. I will just use it as needed
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • TrudiiTrudii Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks, but unfortunately, I use products chock full of synthetics (shame on me :P) so it weirded me out a bit when I read that on their website. I just don't want to use a product that leaves me with tattered ends for the world to see once the detox is completed.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    You have me so hyped about this CocoT!:blob3:

I was worried about the chemically treated part but I don't use much synthetic plastic except for the odd a-cone once in a while. I don't need so much smoothing that oil can't fix it. I had no idea some proteins were synthetic! Luckily they're only found in my Joico K-Pak liter I think. I'll be taking it back since I haven't used it and I've got other protein boosting conditioners on hand without that junk.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    You have me so hyped about this CocoT!:blob3:

I was worried about the chemically treated part but I don't use much synthetic plastic except for the odd a-cone once in a while. I don't need so much smoothing that oil can't fix it. I had no idea some proteins were synthetic! Luckily they're only found in my Joico K-Pak liter I think. I'll be taking it back since I haven't used it and I've got other protein boosting conditioners on hand without that junk.

Yay! lol I don't think I've ever been this hype about a shampoo before. My hair still feels awesome and looks effin amazing. My hair got wet in the shower today so all I did was put in a little bit of curl rehab and sealed with a little bit of castor oil. It's as if my products are absorbing better. It usually takes a bit to work it in but my hair soaked up the conditioner and the oil like *that*. I'm so tempted to do a wash n go
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    I have colored hair and I still use it with no ill effects.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

• windycitycurlwindycitycurl Posts: 55Registered Users
    I have been using the lavender for over a month now-inspired by Naptural85, of course! I love this stuff, however, I have been experiencing dry scalp! I really want to continue using it because I like being more natural, and it saves money in the long run. But if I can't figure out a solution for this dry scalp I don't know if I can continue.

I have tried ACV rinses and oiling my scalp with coconut oil. And still no balance! I went back to using regular products, but my hair doesn't look or feel as nice with regular conditioner anymore :(. So, I just switched to jojoba oil for my scalp this week. I hope this works because I really love the results I get with Terressentials.

If anybody has any suggestions to remedy this problem I will gladly take them.
    4a
    Fine w/some thickness at the crown
    Med Porosity/Low Protein
    Henna-once/twice a year
    Terressentials Mud Wash-2/3X a month
    Aussie Moist Condish- Detangler, AOGBP Condish-rare protein tx
    AO White Camellia-Deep Condish
    CJ Smoothing Lotion- Leave-in
    JessiCurl WDT- Leave-in
    QBO&HHB-Sealant/Moisturizer
    Water/Aloe Vera Juice/Oil blend-Moisturizing Spritz

OILS-Scalp prewash: coconut oil/tea tree/lavender blend
    Sealant(s): Coconut/Shea/Argan/Castor/Olive blend

Staple Styler: KCCC!!!
    I have been using the lavender for over a month now-inspired by Naptural85, of course! I love this stuff, however, I have been experiencing dry scalp! I really want to continue using it because I like being more natural, and it saves money in the long run. But if I can't figure out a solution for this dry scalp I don't know if I can continue.

I have tried ACV rinses and oiling my scalp with coconut oil. And still no balance! I went back to using regular products, but my hair doesn't look or feel as nice with regular conditioner anymore :(. So, I just switched to jojoba oil for my scalp this week. I hope this works because I really love the results I get with Terressentials.

If anybody has any suggestions to remedy this problem I will gladly take them.
    Do you think the terressentials shampoo is causing your dry scalp or have you always had issues with dry scalp? Did you try any of the other flavors? Maybe another one would work better for both scalp and hair. Today I used the lemon one and although my scalp felt nice and clean, my ends were a little dry but with the cool mint my hair was buttery soft from root to tip. So far, the cool mint is #WINNING.

I've always had scalp issues but I finally got a handle on them recently and I attribute it to keeping my scalp clean regularly. The deity plant poo was really helpful but it has a tendency to leave my hair stripped. Pre poo'ing, which I do religiously now with honey and olive oil, counteracted it a bit but not as much as I need. This terressentials is really nice and leaves my scalp just as clean and fresh but also leaves my hair very moisturized.

Oiling the scalp may relieve the dryness but in my experience, keeping products off of my scalp and keeping it clean (using good shampoo's) are what helps the most. And drinking more water. Occassionally I'll use sapote oil after I wash but I don't really need to be oiling my scalp. My scalp just wants to be clean and free and responds better to that. Plus, that sapote oil is like liquid gold and works wonders on my skin so...ya.lol
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    yup which is why i didnt buy it, ive been using bentonite clay for 3 years and my hair always feeling amazing after

not knocking teressentials at all but i buy my clay in bulk and my hair is straight up the bomb.com

Same here. I'll wait to see if other sites carries this.
    Thanks, but unfortunately, I use products chock full of synthetics (shame on me :P) so it weirded me out a bit when I read that on their website. I just don't want to use a product that leaves me with tattered ends for the world to see once the detox is completed.

Same here. That makes me a little afraid too.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users

Same here. I'll wait to see if other sites carries this.

Same here. That makes me a little afraid too.

Denimpixie on youtube did a review on this a while ago. She thinks it may just be scare tactics they use to get you to buy their other products. Some of my products have synthetics, mainly my conditioners, but I don't use heavy cones and the like. I haven't used my bottle yet, I'll get to it eventually. Anyway, check out the video.
    ‪Go Organic or Die! (Okay not really) - Terressentials Pure Earth Hair Wash & "Natural Hair"‬‏ - YouTube
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick