Does my hair look like it's thinning?

rocksmomrocksmom Registered Users Posts: 21
Or am I just paranoid? I've noticed just recently that the front of my hair and the part look... weird. Like there's too much scalp showing. I can't really find any pictures of myself that are close enough to look at my hairline in for comparison. Here's one I took today to show you what I mean:

DSC00450.jpg

I just never noticed that much scalp showing before. Of course I've also been paying way more attention to my hair lately too, so that could be the reason. Whatever the case I'm really sort of freaking out right now and I've been trying to think of the things that could be causing it, if it is thin.

1. Shampoo/conditioner. I've switched my routine many times in the last 6 months or so. Sometimes I felt like I shed more, other times less, but I can't really name any particular pattern.
2. My bangs. I had bangs cut for the first time in years this spring. At first I would always blow dry and straighten them (which I wasn't too gentle about, maybe pulling hairs out with the flat iron?). When I decided I didn't like them and started growing them our I would use bobby pins to make a little "bump." I'm thinking maybe the bobby pins could have been snagging and pulling the hair in that area?
3. Diet/health. I don't eat very healthy, and I know it. I do get plenty of protein, so I don't think that's an issue. I don't take a vitamin or other supplements regularly either. I was also diagnosed years ago with mild hypothroidism. I took the medication for it for a couple years but never noticed any positive change so I've been off it for probably five years now. No other symptoms have increased. Well, except weight gain but I'm sure that's more attributed to diet then anything else.

Thanks for listening to my paranoid ramblings. Hopefully someone can help me out whether it be good news or bad.
Trying out a mod-CG plan: no to sulfates, yes to cones!:thumright:
Co Wash: GTTTT
RO: None
LI: Protein Spray followed by GTTTT or GVPCB
Stylers: TiGi After Party or Sally's Get n' Creamed

Testing out the theory that surfactants in conditioner can prevent cone build up.

Comments

• blissdropsblissdrops Banned Banned Users Posts: 216
    It doesn't look like it to me.

When you pay attention to your like that or start freaking out about thinning you can imagine you're seeing more scalp then you used to you. I've done this before and spent months thinking my hair was thinning and it wasn't. It was in my head.

Your hair looks totally fine to me.
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    Nope, doesn't look thin to me either.
    3b in South Australia.
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Registered Users Posts: 886 Curl Neophyte
    I get freaked out every once ina while about this, especially because I was shedding lots. My scalp is probably even more see through but my husband always patiently explains to me that it's because my hair is wavy/curly and it lifts before laying down flat.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
    Does anyone think my part has thinning going on??
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • wantsnicecurlswantsnicecurls Registered Users Posts: 9
    Hey guys! Don't think that either of you have a thinning parting. It looks fine, relax! Of course, yoiu have always change your parting for a while to let your scalp relax at that part.
    I do get what you mean though. My parting is super scary, it's actually shiny! It looks like I have a slightly bald spot. But it looks better when I gell down the hair near it to make it lie flat.
    You all don't know how much worrying and white hairs my obsession/fear of thinning has gained me. I appreciate your positive thoughts and reassurance. It allowed me to sleep like a baby last night. thanks so much for taking the time and giving a sincere boost of confidence. Appreciated VERY MUCH!!
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • Kelly5Kelly5 Registered Users Posts: 1
    No need to worry, it's not thinning. It may be just a change of styling or hair product that you are using that may give an appearance that it might be. I would though recommend adding flax seed to your diet as that is both good for the hair and skin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file