No Poo for Rogaine Users?

I just stumbled across this website a few days ago, and I must say I am AMAZED at the wealth of information offered!

While reading through some articles, I was introduced to CG, and I'm really interested in trying it out. However, I use men's Rogaine on a daily basis due to thinning over the front part of my head (stretches from L temple to R temple- it's genetic, already got it checked out by a dermatologist).

I do my best to not get the foam solution on my hair, but it's really hard... I'm not sure if a sulfate-free cleanser or co-wash would actually remove the Rogaine residue from my roots. And it's really important that I do remove the residue, because Rogaine is quite drying.

Are there any Rogaine users here who have tried out the CG method? Any advice?

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Are you wanting to remove the Rogaine residue prior to starting CG (as opposed to continuing to use it)?

As far as I know, a clarifying wash with a silicone-free, sulfate shampoo (J&J baby shampoo, or one of Suave's Naturals line or VO5s Herbal Escapes line shampoos fit in this category) should get pretty much anything out, but I've never seen anything about what solvent(s) are needed to remove Rogaine.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • midnightblu42midnightblu42 Registered Users Posts: 3
    I'll need to continue using Rogaine every day :(

Hmm ok, I guess I'll try out one of those shampoos and see how it does... thanks Morgan! I've never seen anything about what solvents are needed to dissolve Rogaine either, but the ingredients don't list any silicones or sulfates... mostly just a bunch of alcohols. I guess I'd just have to experiment and see what happens.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Midnight, I use Men's Rogaine Foam every day and I don't have a problem with any shampoo, with or without sulfates. It gets on my hair - I can't avoid it, but nothing seems to happen. I went CG for a while - the Rogaine didn't seem to be a problem. The main issue is that it is drying, so be sure to condition your scalp as well as your hair.

Good luck! I know what it feels like to have thinning hair!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Since curlypearl says sulfate-free shampoos, a.k.a. low-poos, work well with Rogaine, and you're going to continue to apply Rogaine every day, I don't recommend a clarifying sulfate poo. Go with the low-poo. Use a rich conditioner whenever you wash your hair, and try doing deep treatments every week.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • midnightblu42midnightblu42 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thank you so much curlypearl and Morgan! I'm going to try out CG with the low-poo, let's hope for the best! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file