We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Help! Need Style Change (going shorter)

zoobteachzoobteach Posts: 5Registered Users
I've posted a few times here, but lurk frequently! I've been doing a modified CG since April 2010. I'm happy with how my hair has been over the last year. I've been able to grow it out to almost BSL. But I'm getting tired of it now because I have constant tangles and it is severely damaged (thanks to be a little highlight happy over the last year).

I think I'm a 2C with a few 3b's here and there. My hair is extremely thick. It is very coarse also. I've been going gray since my early 20s so it has been color treated for years (the highlighting is a more recent thing and has been awful).

As I'm getting ready to go back to school (teacher), I'm wanting a change. I want to go shorter. I'm nervous to do it since it has been longish for the past year.

I'm torn between just cutting a bit off (don't really want to do that), going with an inverted/stacked bob, or going extremely short-- pixie style.

My biggest fear is that my face is round and chubby. I don't want to do anything that is going to enhance both of those factors (clearly I understand that I can't hide my face chub with any haircut, lol!).

Any suggestions on styles that might look good on me? I've been combing through short styles, but so many aren't curly! I don't want to do any more flat ironing ever-- I want to be natural all the time, work, play, going out. I'm so tired of wearing my hair in a ponytail or clip (I live in FL so long thick hair is really no fun in the summer!).

Also, any suggestions on color?? I've been every "natural" color under the rainbow. I don't think I've ever picked one that actually looked good on me.

Here is a picture from May 2011 (my hair is just a bit longer now and much lighter and more damaged):
2011Hair-1.jpg

I'd love to hear any thoughts, opinions or experiences you all have had with making "the cut"!

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    Nice strong waves! Have you ever had short hair? Inverted bobs are all the thing around here. But if having hair falling towards your face is a minus, that might be a cut to avoid (I've done some teaching and always felt that 180° of vision was a good thing)!
    If you go for a pixie, which you can't beat for ease of styling for gals who have to be at work BRIGHT and EARLY, you'll need frequent trims. Wavy hair tends to sprout "wings" as it grows out of a short cut around/above the ears, the back etc.

Length will be up to you, you can always get a mid-length cut and go shorter if you like - it's a step-wise way to go shorter. I think you might look nice with some long fringe (aka sideswept bangs) - long enough to tuck behind an ear if necessary. Layers will really bring out the curl in your waves.

Bobs have a round shape, so if you're trying to make your face look less round, you might want a longer bob or the inverted bob? But then again, the "sideswept bangs" go a long way towards complimenting everything from a long face to a round one.

Talk to your stylist about your lifestyle, how much time you have for styling, what your likes and dislikes are. Here's a nifty webpage with good "compare and contrast" illustrations for coloring: Choosing Your Skin Tone And Enhancing Your Hair Color : Hair Color | Hairstyles, Celebrity Hair Styles and Haircuts | TheHairStyler.com
    And here are some others: The Right Hair Color Can Do Wonders - CBS News
    What Hair Color Suits Me

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your summer!
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    ITA that some layering around the face is very flattering on just about anyone.
    As far as color, it's usually best to stay within one to two shades of your natural color. Even staying within the same color but switching up to a golden tone or an ashy tone can make a big difference.
    What I do is I dye my hair an auburn color, it is very near the same shade as my natural color, just with a reddish hue. Then I add in a few highlights and lowlights. Then the next time I color, I color my whole head again (instead of touching up my roots) and pick different strands to highlight and lowlight than I did the last time. It gives great depth of color, and I am always having ladies ask me if it's natural and when I tell them no, they ask me how I do it.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your waves are just lovely. Good job.
    One thing I've learned on this site is I'll never be a stylist. I just can't see what shapes people need for their hair. With that said, here are my thoughts.
    When I read you had you had thick, coarse hair and were thinking about a bob my though was "that can potentially go really wide". That was before I read you were concerned about adding width to your face. I have thin, fine hair. When it was in an ear length bob, it added a lot of width to my face. I looked 10-15 pounds heavier. Pixies are cute, but always a pain to grow out. I think it is doubly hard if you have thick hair. I wish I had a fabulous suggestion for you. I wish I had a fabulous hair style idea for me too.:) I think face framing layers, as previously suggested, is a good idea.
    I see you as a warm brunette. I would start close to your natural color if you've never done color. However I think most people with dark blonde hair (like me) can pull off a whole range of hair colors. I actually envision a med/dark warm brunette for you, but you might want to start lighter.
    Let us know what you finally decide.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • zoobteachzoobteach Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thank you all for your replies!

IAGirl- I like the suggestion of sideswept bangs. I teach Kindergarten, so I do have to always be on the lookout-- good thought about that!

swtndspcy- I think I definitely need to get back at least closer to my natural color. I thought I'd love going lighter, and I do to an extent, but my hair pulls red-- so I end up with super brassy hair. Coupled with my skintone, disaster!

pedaheh- I think warm brunnette is the way to go. I need to go with something a bit more simple and not have to spend all that time in the stylist's chair having my roots touched up then getting highlights.

So I am going to see Tiffany tomorrow (Live Curly, Live Free). It's my 4th time and I just love her. I'm just getting a cut, so I'll post a pic when I'm done. Color will come later this week or next!

Thanks again! :icon_smile:
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My complements to whoever colored your hair. I thought it was your natural color. Missed that the first time I read this post.
    If Tiffany cuts your hair, I'd do whatever she suggests. She is THE expert. She'll know. If she says go short, do it.
    Be sure to post pics and have fun. I'm so jealous.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I think longer is better as you can tie it back or up better, and with kinders and hot Florida, that may be the most versatile. But Tiffany is the expert. You are lucky you can see her. Please post when you get it done. :)

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    Ooh, promise of pics from a cut from Tiffany...
    Something to look forward to! Good luck and enjoy yourself.
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    My dream is to get a cut from Tiffany some day. Shes the only one I would probably just say 'do whatever needs to be done' and feel confident about the outcome :-)
    If she eve comes to the Boston area, I'm there!
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • zoobteachzoobteach Posts: 5Registered Users
    I have my new cut!! I decided to just take a lot of length (and dry, damaged yuck hair) off. We discussed doing an inverted bob, but I'd have to get a trim every 2 months at a minimum. I live nearly 4 hours away, so that would be tricky! I will take some photos tomorrow. Very happy!! Thank you ladies for your input!
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Sounds awesome! Can't wait for the pics! :)

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file