Transitioning

bird428bird428 Posts: 14Registered Users
Hello, NC

I am new around here. Please see my post in intros for more background info.

Basically, I have been going natural for about a year and am still discovering my natural hair texture. I'm not sure it even makes since to try to figure what curl type I am while I'm transitioning? I have about 4-5 inches of new growth and after the line of demarcation about 6-7 inches of relaxed but still wavy hair (except in front where it's pretty straight from pulling it back into a ponytail). I think I'm either 3c or one of the 4s. Please advise.

I have 3 pics to help determine this. One with my wet hair, because it's easier to see my curl pattern there, a close up of the line of demarcation, and how I look with my hair dry.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to my hair care routine. I usually wash and go and try to wash/condition every 1-2 weeks. Now that I've read some NC articles, I already plan to dilute my shampoo and use more conditioner. I'm also trying to see if I need to switch my hair products. I haven't really explored curl creams or anti-humidity products. I do live in a pretty humid, hot area (central texas). Here what I have been done for the past few years:

Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo (it's ok, but can strip alot of moisture if you rinse and repeat as it instructs)

Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner (it's very think, I usually leave it at least 45 min or leave-in; this smells really nice too)

Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Incredibly Rich Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion (this seems to have worked decently, but thinking about switching to something more curl specific)

Any feedback/advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Comments

• YansaYansa Posts: 60Registered Users
    It doesn't make sense to try to figure it out, IMO. First, because you are correct - if you have more relaxed ends than natural roots, your assessment is unlikely to be accurate anyway, and second because even if you can figure out what "type" you fall into, that doesn't mean much. Your hair won't behave just like any other 3 or 4 anyway, and you'll still have to figure out specifically what YOUR hair likes in order to keep it healthy and looking it's best. :)

Wait until all of the relaxed hair is gone to decide on a type, if you must. But I encourage you to just keep getting to know your hair and not be so concerned with what category it falls into. That way you don't needlessly box it in. ;)
  • bird428bird428 Posts: 14Registered Users
    thanks, yansa. i think you're right. i am noticing that my relaxed ends are more unruly than my curlier new growth, so prob. makes sense to just watch and learn. I'm torn about whether I want to do a mini chop or just keep growing out, so for now I'm going to try to keep growing. I tried two-strands twists last night so I have some more hope than before.

others, any other thoughts about my hair care regimen?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file