Next Step in my Routine?

redcoffredcoff Posts: 3Registered Users
My situation seems to be similar to many of the 2s here; straight hair growing up and after having my children I have developed a significant wave at the back of my head where my hair is the healthiest. I started CG a week ago by cleansing my hair with a baking soda water mix and ACV rinse. I've been co-washing with VO5 strawberries and cream since. I purchased MOP-C Curl Cream and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Both products are sulfate and silicone free.

What are some additional steps/things I should watch for in my routine? My hair is fine and can have the tendency to be limp.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What other products do you use? I could never hold wave with a conditioner only. Even need gel over things like the MOP curl cream. Let us know what else you are using and that will help!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • WavySingerGirlWavySingerGirl Posts: 33Registered Users
    Your hair sounds much like mine, so I will be watching to see what others recommend! I can't get much definition if I use a curl cream alone; my wave pattern isn't strong enough - yet!

I'm curious to try the VO5 line; are all the conditioners CG-friendly?

OT: Does anybody remember when MOP made skin care products?? I totally loved them and was so sad when they discontinued them... I should try the hair stuff to see if it's as good!
    CG since Jan 2008!

2ab//low porosity//fine-medium texture//thick//low elasticity
    Fia: 2ab//F//iii

Co-Wash: Suave Natural Coconut
    Rinse-out: SN Coconut or GFTN
    Leave-in: SN Coconut
    Styling: BRHG, Set It Free, HETT
    Dislikes: glycerin, mineral oil
    Loves: Protein!

Current Products in Trial: Renpure Organics condish (red), LAL Sports Gel, LOOB
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IMHO baking soda doesn't remove cones. Silicones are tricky little buggers that are hard to remove. So I say your first step is to use a sulfate containing shampoo with no silicones for a final wash.
    THE NATURAL HAVEN: Can baking soda or castile soap relax your hair?

Most hair needs more moisture then Vo5 can provide. You will probably need a more moisturizing rinse out conditioner. I agree that you will probably also need a gel.

Your next step is to figure out your hair's properties. This will help get better product recommendations.
    curl pattern, texture, and thickness
    The Wavy Tales: How to classify your wavy hair
    porosity
    Porosity and Curly Hair
    elasticity.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/85854-determining-porosity-elasticity-help.html
    There is also info on livecurlylivefree.com and a thread called texture, porosity, and hairtype madness. Live curly live free has a service where you send in your hair and they tell your texture, porosity, and elasticity.
    Figure out as many as you can and report back for product recs.

Edit: Sorry missed fine and limp. Fine hair needs protein no matter what the porosity. Protein helps shore up the inner structure of fine hair and helps it support itself. CG PTs
    Ion effective care from sally's- may have enough moisture that you don't have to follow with a DT or moisturizing conditioner. Same could be said of spiral solutions Repairing protein treatment (etsy.com).
    nexxus emergency, IAgirl's gelatin protein treatment, aphogee 2-step (just use step one and your own DT or moisturizing conditioner, step 2 has mineral oil which is likely to weigh you down or be hard to remove).
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html
    If the Vo5 gives you enough moisture, stick with that. If not, yes to cukes or *I think* some of the giovanni conditioners would be a good option.
    For a gel I'd try LA looks sports first. Has protein and a hard hold, popular and super cheap. Other options biosilk rock hard gel (very hard hold), la bella, ecostyler krystal (ethnic section of cvs, sally's, use only in normal dew points), aussie instant freeze.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • redcoffredcoff Posts: 3Registered Users
    First, thank you for replying with some info/advice for me.
    What other products do you use?

Right now no other products. I'm trying to introduce products slowly so I will know what products I can attribute to specific results. So right at this moment I am using conditioner only, lightly scrunching and let it air dry.
    I'm curious to try the VO5 line; are all the conditioners CG-friendly?

The strawberries and cream moisture milk conditioner had good reviews here on this site, it has no silicones or sulfates so I thought I'd try that out first. Plus it's cheap.
    Your next step is to figure out your hair's properties

After looking at some of the info, I'm not an expert but I appear to be a 2a/Fi, maybe a ii. From the other links I think I've got normal/high porosity and normal elasticity. I will shampoo this afternoon since the baking soda may not have done what I was hoping for.
    How often should I DT? and how often should I PT? Is there a better CO-wash I should be using? Is the ACV rinse worth doing?

I'm afraid to use gel because I really don't want crunchy hair, maybe I can try all the other steps first and do the gel thing last if I don't like what I'm seeing.

Would it be too much if tonight I shampoo, PT, and then CO-wash? Can I throw in a DT somewhere in the mix tonight? I'm on 3rd day hair today.

Thank you, thank you again for the help.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    redcoff wrote: »
    First, thank you for replying with some info/advice for me.
    How often should I DT? and how often should I PT? Is there a better CO-wash I should be using? Is the ACV rinse worth doing?

I'm afraid to use gel because I really don't want crunchy hair, maybe I can try all the other steps first and do the gel thing last if I don't like what I'm seeing.

Would it be too much if tonight I shampoo, PT, and then CO-wash? Can I throw in a DT somewhere in the mix tonight? I'm on 3rd day hair today.

Thank you, thank you again for the help.
    The right answer to How often to DT/PT is as often as you need it. Once a week PT is common for fine hair. Always follow a PT with a DT or moisturizing conditioner. The only exception is if you don't need a lot of moisture and you use a moisturizing PT. Sometimes you won't need to DT. If your hair feels hard or rough after the PT and before the DT, that is normal. The DT will make it feel nice and soft again.

I'm just reading today that a sulfate shampoo plus a PT can be too much for some hair. I'd do them on separate days if it isn't already too late.

A lot of people use Vo5. If it is working, no need to change.

ACV rinses are good if you have hard water. They help remove some of the minerals. Don't do them too often, because they are drying. I fine citric acid rinses (like in fruit fresh) to be less drying.

Tresseme naturals is another option if you feel you need more moisture.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    redcoff wrote: »

When I first came to NC.com, I too thought I hated the crunchiness of gel. Then I learned about SOTC, scrunching out the crunch. So I figured it was worth a try and bought some cheap gel. Gel is now my BFF.
    Most gels' crunch will scrunch out leaving soft curls/waves that don't feel producty. Gel will hold the curl/wave in place until it is dry and it sticks down frizz. Then once your hair is totally dry, you just lean to the side, or flip your head over and scrunch or twist the hair to release the "gel cast".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file